Sox holding a "hitting camp" in AZ

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 36s

Abreu is taking part in a White Sox hitting camp in Glendale joining the likes of Eaton, Davidson, Thompson, Anderson, etc.

Jared Mitchell and some others there as well with Robin Ventura and Todd Steverson.

One name I thought was interesting was catcher Kevan Smith. He's not a prospect usually noted among the top 20, or even 30. He's hit well and his catching game is improving, but he's going to turn 26 this year and hasn't seen AA yet. The fact that he was invited tells me the org still thinks he's got a shot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
One name I thought was interesting was catcher Kevan Smith. He's not a prospect usually noted among the top 20, or even 30. He's hit well and his catching game is improving, but he's going to turn 26 this year and hasn't seen AA yet. The fact that he was invited tells me the org still thinks he's got a shot.

is there a more full list of names? I couldn't really find anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
@scottmerkin

White Sox will have a Mini-Camp for young hitters next Tues-Thurs at @camelbackranch. Abreu, Davidson, Eaton, Hawkins, Nieto, Phegley ...

Has this been done before? Three days is odd. Must be intense or the Sox are trying to teach these guys a different approach.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Has this been done before? Three days is odd. Must be intense or the Sox are trying to teach these guys a different approach.

It makes some sense. They will be working out on their own until Spring Training, might as well see where they are at and what you want them to work on.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)

Sox have done it for years now for their younger position players. Only difference this year seems to be that the focus is on hitting.

“That’s a strong man right here,” hitting coach Todd Steverson said of Abreu. “That’s a big man. He has a nice smooth, compact approach. He didn’t try to do too much with the ball and the ball was flying off his bat. I think he has a nice bright future coming up with him.”

“We try to keep in mind that it’s Jan. 14 and we still have a ways to go,” Hahn said. “But just watching Jose go through his work, you saw that professionalism as well as the plus-plus power on display today in only his first couple of rounds of BP. He’s a very serious hitter. He’s one who goes up there with a plan and has a great deal of ability and it’s going to be fun to see how this plays out over the next couple of years.”

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)

He is a pretty raw 26 year old because of his past with playing football and than not focusing on baseball until later on. He could be one of those guys who comes up when he's 28, 29 and turns out to be a solid hitter.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
I'm pretty psyched about Nieto. I know he lacks much experience above A ball but a switch hitting C who might have figured something out last season is intriguing. Probably too much to hope that he makes the 25, but still, the competition ain't that stiff.

Right now I'd bet Nieto has a better shot than all the other catchers to make the team unless he absolutely bombs during Spring Training.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
“We try to keep in mind that it’s Jan. 14 and we still have a ways to go,” Hahn said. “But just watching Jose go through his work, you saw that professionalism as well as the plus-plus power on display today in only his first couple of rounds of BP. He’s a very serious hitter. He’s one who goes up there with a plan and has a great deal of ability and it’s going to be fun to see how this plays out over the next couple of years.”

It is kind of awesome that we're still 30 days away from the start of spring training - and yet - we're already getting quotes like this from some on the field action. Nice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
You think they're going to send him back?

Unless Flowers or Phegley suffer a long term injury I can't see us trying to hide a catcher for an entire 162 game season. It's not like he's that great a prospect where it would be worth it. Phegley is much more deserving of MLB ABs and not sure what Flowers option situation is. Either way it would still be hiding him since he hasn't appeared above A ball. So yeah I think we offer him back. That's most likely at the start of the season but if not then, then some point later.