Bobby Jenks wants to make a comeback

The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
I think Bobby is a really good person. After reading that story, I wish I could be at Soxfest just to shake his hand and let him know that we'll always be fans of his.

Sounds like he has a ways to go in his return attempt, but if I'm the Sox I'd have no problem offering him resources to help with his rehab process with the understanding that he has a spot with us when he's ready.

I kinda wish I could go to do the same thing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Bobby Jenks.

I'd be all for the Sox signing him and helping him get his life back on track. I'd love it if he could help us down the road, but I really don't care. The Sox don't owe him anything, but I'd have so much respect for the organization if they signed him to a minor league deal.

Every so often I pop in one of the WS games and watch. Jenks looks so innocent when he comes into the game. He looks likes he's overwhelmed. Then he starts throwing nasty stuff.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
Considering he has fusion surgery in October and will need up to a year to recover, and hasn't pitched in a couple of years anyway, I don't think this is true.

Possibly not. But, all those issues are known. We've had time bombs in camp we thought would be the bomb.

Wow. That's a great little feel-good story there. I wish him all the luck in the world, and I would love to see him back on the mound for the Sox, assuming he belongs there. I can't think of a better closer the Sox have had since Thigpen.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
I never defended Guillens mouth but I will when it comes to Jenks. Bobby owed a lot to Ozzie and the Sox for saving his career.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
He owes a lot to Kenny Williams for claiming him on waivers and calling him up to the Major League roster. Ozzie used his 25-man roster just like any manager.

In fact, if anything Ozzie owes Bobby for helping lock down that bullpen after Shingo's failure and Hermanson's injury. If not for Bobby coming in getting the job done you would have had Neal Cotts or Cliff Politte taken out of setup roles where they were best suited. And Cotts specifically as closer would have made Damaso Marte the lefty setup man, while with Politte as closer you'd have been looking at Vizcaino as the setup guy from the right side and garbage most likely filling out the LR role.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Yeah let's just ignore that whole alcohol abuse thing that management had to keep in check here to ensure he was a quality MLB player.

Unreal. Nobody owes anyone anything, and everyone should have kept their mouths shut, but they're all human and make mistakes. Why the hell are we even focusing on it. KW claimed him and called him up--because he was was damn good and could help the team. KW gave him the shot and Jenks made KW look like a genius. Everyone got their due, no debts owed. Ozzie put him in the closer role, made some amusing gestures/comments about his size on national television and made him a known name around the league. Jenks took the ball when asked and dominated and made Ozzie's late game decisions easy and helped him look like a good manager, while making himself a feared closer around the league. Everyone got their due, no debts owed. And that whole alcohol abuse thing? What thing? You know the details, or only what you read from biased sources? You know that unless you were there, you will never know what really happened because neither side's version of the story will ever be the true story. Let's not be too quick to judge when we really don't know the truth.

Jenks was one of the best closers for the Sox in a long time, was part of a historical year, and was an interesting, if not great story. Again, I would love to see him back in a Sox uniform if he can still pitch.

Bobby's last year with the Sox wasn't so good. His only year with Boston wasn't so good. He hasn't played the last 2 seasons, and probably won't be able to pitch this season. That would make next season 6 years removed from being good , with several back surgeries, one that almost lead to death, a rehab stint and not having thrown for 3 years. It would be a waste of time signing him to a minor league deal. And for what? The White Sox owe Bobby nothing. Throwing him bones doesn't help him. He needs to move on to reality and make sure he has his life straightened out. 1 in a zillion pipe dreams of being effective in the major leagues doesn't do that.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Wow. That's a great little feel-good story there. I wish him all the luck in the world, and I would love to see him back on the mound for the Sox, assuming he belongs there. I can't think of a better closer the Sox have had since Thigpen.

Unreal. Nobody owes anyone anything, and everyone should have kept their mouths shut, but they're all human and make mistakes. Why the hell are we even focusing on it. KW claimed him and called him up--because he was was damn good and could help the team. KW gave him the shot and Jenks made KW look like a genius. Everyone got their due, no debts owed. Ozzie put him in the closer role, made some amusing gestures/comments about his size on national television and made him a known name around the league. Jenks took the ball when asked and dominated and made Ozzie's late game decisions easy and helped him look like a good manager, while making himself a feared closer around the league. Everyone got their due, no debts owed. And that whole alcohol abuse thing? What thing? You know the details, or only what you read from biased sources? You know that unless you were there, you will never know what really happened because neither side's version of the story will ever be the true story. Let's not be too quick to judge when we really don't know the truth.

Jenks was one of the best closers for the Sox in a long time, was part of a historical year, and was an interesting, if not great story. Again, I would love to see him back in a Sox uniform if he can still pitch.

Bobby Jenks has been suspended for drinking. He's also had a DUI in a hit and run in a separate incident. He's been in rehab for substance abuse. He's admitted himself he had substance abuse problems in the past. These are all well documented. I'm not really sure where you going with the other side of the story since Bobby himself agrees he has problems. Seems like everyone is on the same page there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
If you read that last post, it's kind of remarkable watching a person give a team credit for the feel good part of the under the radar story and then deny the bad part of it.

Pretty much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
Bobby's last year with the Sox wasn't so good. His only year with Boston wasn't so good. He hasn't played the last 2 seasons, and probably won't be able to pitch this season. That would make next season 6 years removed from being good , with several back surgeries, one that almost lead to death, a rehab stint and not having thrown for 3 years. It would be a waste of time signing him to a minor league deal. And for what? The White Sox owe Bobby nothing. Throwing him bones doesn't help him. He needs to move on to reality and make sure he has his life straightened out. 1 in a zillion pipe dreams of being effective in the major leagues doesn't do that.

I don't get this post.

First, I think it WOULD help him potentially move on with his new life - if we are caring about that.

Second, when is a minor league deal some big time-consumer? Have a scout watch him work out, if he can sorta pitch, sign a contract and send him to the farm (probably A ball at first, then AAA when/if he's up to speed).

Third, the affiliates would LOVE to have a guy like that around.

Fourth, really, look at who pitched in the Charlotte pen last year. A few are actual prospects... most are not. He's not going to get in anyone's way.

I'm surprised anyone could see this as a bad thing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
I don't get this post.

First, I think it WOULD help him potentially move on with his new life - if we are caring about that.

Second, when is a minor league deal some big time-consumer? Have a scout watch him work out, if he can sorta pitch, sign a contract and send him to the farm (probably A ball at first, then AAA when/if he's up to speed).

Third, the affiliates would LOVE to have a guy like that around.

Fourth, really, look at who pitched in the Charlotte pen last year. A few are actual prospects... most are not. He's not going to get in anyone's way.

I'm surprised anyone could see this as a bad thing.

Because baseball is not the real world. He is done as a baseball player. Why don't the Sox just sign 1000 guys to minor league contracts? Bobby made $26 million, now he needs to make sure his life is straight and make sure his kids lives are OK. Didn't he mention he needed to be a better father? How does spending 6 months away living a pipe dream accomplish that?

Plus, I think he is a shaky influence at best to the younger players in the organization. Bobby wasn't always the most mature guy around. I once saw an interview where he blew his nose into his jersey right on camera. Some may think that is hysterical, but it showed a lack of several things.

Edited by Dick Allen

I feel the same way about signing Jenks as I do about signing Grady Sizemore. I wouldn't count on anything, but having a guy who was as talented as he was in his prime is not a bad thing. If you can rehab them and get them back to productivity, then great, wonderful, what a story. If not, you tried and it cost next to nothing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Because baseball is not the real world. He is done as a baseball player. Why don't the Sox just sign 1000 guys to minor league contracts? Bobby made $26 million, now he needs to make sure his life is straight and make sure his kids lives are OK.

Plus, I think he is a shaky influence at best to the younger players in the organization. Bobby wasn't always the most mature guy around. I once saw an interview where he blew his nose into his jersey right on camera. Some may think that is hysterical, but it showed a lack of several things.

He had a back issue that was screwed up and now is corrected. Bullpens are a crapshoot, taking a flyer on Jenks could be helpful, I do not see how it would hurt.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
He had a back issue that was screwed up and now is corrected. Bullpens are a crapshoot, taking a flyer on Jenks could be helpful, I do not see how it would hurt.

He had a fusion surgery. Peyton Manning had a fusion surgery on his neck in May of 2011, had to have additional surgery after that in September, and wasn't able to even begin doing any work whatsoever until December. He wasn't 100% until probably 18 months after the surgery (and really, he's probably never going to be a full 100%).

The issue is not fully resolved yet. I still have no problem if the Sox sign him to a minor league deal. They can then control his rehab and maybe get him some late season work in the minors with the hopes that he might be able to get back some sort of effectiveness by 2015.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
He had a fusion surgery. Peyton Manning had a fusion surgery on his neck in May of 2011, had to have additional surgery after that in September, and wasn't able to even begin doing any work whatsoever until December. He wasn't 100% until probably 18 months after the surgery (and really, he's probably never going to be a full 100%).

The issue is not fully resolved yet. I still have no problem if the Sox sign him to a minor league deal. They can then control his rehab and maybe get him some late season work in the minors with the hopes that he might be able to get back some sort of effectiveness by 2015.

Plus he hasn't thrown in 2 years, and will probably be closer to 3 or even more when or if he is ready.

No one is going to sign him, so if the Sox decide to throw him the bone, they can wait until he is ready to actually throw.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)

Teams take flyers on pitchers all the time who have a fraction of the stuff that Jenks had. On an incentive laden minor league deal there is literally no downside here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Teams take flyers on pitchers all the time who have a fraction of the stuff that Jenks had. On an incentive laden minor league deal there is literally no downside here.

The reason I'd be OK with it is because the Sox doctors could then oversee his rehab, making sure everything's going fine.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
I see the sox giving him a minor league deal, if only to help with his medical bills.

Jerry has made comments in the past about being worried about bobby and his health/personal issues. Plus, he's a big reason why there is a WS trophy in the reception area at the cell.

If Jenks handled his money well at all, he will need absolutely no help handling the medical bills.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
The reason I'd be OK with it is because the Sox doctors could then oversee his rehab, making sure everything's going fine.

If Jenks handled his money well at all, he will need absolutely no help handling the medical bills.

The structure of a team rehab program and the value of an entire organization's support are going to be worth a lot more than the cost of the bills most likely & not something he could easily buy anyway.

Thanks for the memories bobby, but no thanks to a come back reunion. I just dont see multiple back surgeries to fix these problems leading to a come back.

His past with alcohol and pain killers is irrelevant since I believe anyone can move forward from previous addictions but multiple back surgeries, nope, not happening. Enjoy retirement bobby and be greatful your back is in good enough shape to allow you to do so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)

Well, he's a recovering addict, divorced, and likely paying child support. As much as I was pissed about his attitude in 2009-2010, I'm not going to be a dick and say "you should be able to handle that check,bobby".