The Humility thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
I think I was the biggest advocate of trading for ManRam.

That Manny waiver claim was yet another one of the many major drawbacks to letting a egomaniac manager run part of your offseason. My God, $1M for Thome. Twins won the division over us because of that deal and we still had to spend like 5X Thome's cost on players who weren't anything but disappointments (Manny & Kotsay).

6 games the Twins won that divison by. Morneau got hurt that year & if they didn't have Thome ready to step in they wouldn't have won that thing. And if he had been ours we'd have probably taken that division by 2 games. Dumbest non-move in recent Sox history, cheap as hell, a no-brainer, and we listen to Ozzie. My God.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
I thought Ron Leflore and Tim Raines would be great leadoff hitters.

Tim Raines was good, he was past his prime, but he was good.

I thought David Wells was going to have a good year also

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Let's go back and remember all these "AJ's OPS is so easy to replace" arguments where posters put forth the idea that Flowers would be a better player than AJ and blah blah blah it would all happen so quick. I really want to point that one out because that was really dumb and lasted for a while. Not as bad as the Dan Hudson love fest though.

I was one of those. Flowers was playing with a torn up shoulder though. I'm still not conceding.

My worst rant was on WSI. I was irate when we traded Reed and Olivo for Garcia. I thought Reed and Olivo were future All Stars. I must have called Garcia a "fat drunk" 5 times in that thread. I'm actually surprised they didn't ban me.

Bobby Bonds would be a star addition; Dan Pasqua would be great; Claudell Washington was the answer; Bobby Knopp would lead the team to greatness.

Kidding. Just trying to get my mind off Beckham.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I was one of those. Flowers was playing with a torn up shoulder though. I'm still not conceding.

My worst rant was on WSI. I was irate when we traded Reed and Olivo for Garcia. I thought Reed and Olivo were future All Stars. I must have called Garcia a "fat drunk" 5 times in that thread. I'm actually surprised they didn't ban me.

IIRC I was banned for helping lead that Brian Anderson bandwagon. The Owens/Erstad/Mackowiak/etc. days were absolute hell on my psyche as a Brian Anderson supporter.

I actually just went back into an old pictures folder & found a sig on my computer that I made when I was at WSI in relation to that. The mods were like "why do you have Hitler in your sig?" and I explained it was BA, not Hitler. But they made me take it down anyway. Now, who's being Hitler in this situation. This was my sig, it really wasn't that bad.

4q49n.jpg

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
I was outraged by the Danks-McCarthy trade and was all about trading for ManRam as well, whoops.

My best though...when I was 16 or 17 I made a thread about how we should trade Carlos Lee for Kris Benson!

Maybe for Kris Benson's wife

This is my PM to 3E8 right after the Dunn signing. I was drunk.

Did you jizz? I didn't, but onlyl cuz that's GAY AS s***

Seriously though, I don't think the Sox have ever filled a more pressing need through free agency than with the Dunn signing. Thinking quickly, and probably missing 7 guys, but I think that Dunn is probably the 3rd best player on the entire market - and this isn't including 1B and their UZR or DRS - and the White Sox got him.

I have a weird feeling. It's not excitement or jubilance or anything similar; it's contentment. It's like, I've had to suffer through Darin Erstad and Timo Perez and Luis Terrero and Dewayne Wise and suddenly, I get SOME competence. I have a favorite team that understands it's biggest weakness, doesn't trade away from its strength (atleast not yet, though I have no problem dealing a starting pitcher for some great pieces, no matter the name), and brings in a great player.

The Twins lost a ton of people in the bullpen along with Pavano and Hudson, and maybe they have quite a bit to spend still but they have $72 mill committed to Mauer, Morneau, Nathan, Cuddyer, Kubel, Baker, and Blackburn (and that doesn't include Young, Hardy, Capps, Liriano, and Yoshikamikazi (THAS RAYCESS)). I'm sure they'll field a competitive bullpen, but I feel good about facing those f***bags, and Detroit still seems like a team throwing too much money at the wrong holes.

Call me crazy, but I think, if everything goes well, this is a 100 win team next year. There are still several holes, but apparently still some money, and the main hole is the back of the bullpen. Bring back Putz (at 2/$12? I never saw your reply to the post if that was sufficient value, because you obviously can't go 3 years with Putz...we're not the Tigers), bring in 1-2 more relievers, including one more good lefty if possible (which would actually allow you to use the Chapman treatment with Sale next year, which would be good for both his development and the White Sox performance), and this team looks good.

Oh, and you are awesome.

The Dunn signing caught everyone by surprise I think. On paper that was a terrific move, which is why as much as I'd like to see us eat his remaining salary and trade him to the highest bidder in terms of talent, I completely refuse to criticize the Sox organization for making that move. There's no way things should have gone so bad so quickly, especially without some sort of catastrophic freak injury occurring.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I was drunk for the first 30,066 hours of my Soxtalk posting career.

Many stupid things occurred - none of which I recall.

Scotch was a wonderful thing.

Scotch is still a wonderful thing in moderation, but I understand that moderation can be a difficult thing.

As the Sox were in the midst of their September collapse in 2005, I remember the poster that goes by the name of Rowand44 shockingly saying he hoped the Sox missed the playoffs rather then somehow back in and get swept by Boston or NY. Shameful, shameful, shameful.

ok, I'm lying it was me.