FutureSox Top 25 Prospects Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Thanks as always NSS.

Was it the same form as always? The four writers making their rankings and averaging them out?

Surprised to see Engel so low. Assuming Nieto isn't in the top 10, did he fall somewhere between 26-30?

Same deal, yes. Five of us in this case (one Mod who helps us out but doesn't write much for the site directly), we basically do a voting system similar to, say, college football/basketball polls.

Nieto just missed the list, he's among the next 10 after the T25.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Pretty surprised to see Adolfo ahead of Engel and Trey at this point.

More of being high on Adolfo or tempered expectations for the other 2 right now?

Adolfo has some of the highest potential in the entire system. He'd be much higher if he weren't 17 and so far to go to hit that ceiling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Adolfo has some of the highest potential in the entire system. He'd be much higher if he weren't 17 and so far to go to hit that ceiling.

This. He is of course a huge wildcard, and he may never get above A ball. But his raw power potential, athleticism, plus arm strength and decent speed make for a very nice tool kit. Huge potential, huge questions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
This. He is of course a huge wildcard, and he may never get above A ball. But his raw power potential, athleticism, plus arm strength and decent speed make for a very nice tool kit. Huge potential, huge questions.

My ranking for him (actually making the list this time when I didn't put him on my list last summer) was based a lot on what I heard while at Bristol. Even though he wasn't on their official roster, they had him traveling with the team for several weeks, taking batting and fielding practice with the team, getting used to the minor league schedule. And they raved about his BP - that ballpark was huge, it was like >375 with a 25 foot fence in LF and supposedly he was regularly crushing things out of there.

Combine those set of comments together and he fell somewhere in the middle of my list. Potential to, in a few years, be at the top of one of those lists and the ability to impress the actual org was enough to push him on and ahead of guys who I have less confidence in as contributores.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Did you guys first discuss whether he should be included at all?

EDIT: Considering how raw/uncertain his talents are as opposed to not being worthy.

Yes we did. In fact, the last list we did, he had just been signed and we had so little information that we decided not to include him for that one.

But we pretty much decided that anyone in the org who hasn't reached MLB rookie status is going to be eligible, barring something really unusual like that again. Abreu, Davidson, Nieto all included as eligible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)

He profiles with 80 power, 70 arm, and 50 speed from what I am putting together (if he reaches his potential). In today's game, that is not easy to find.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
He profiles with 80 power, 70 arm, and 50 speed from what I am putting together (if he reaches his potential). In today's game, that is not easy to find.

Sox are trying to hoard power in this new powerless era.

I like it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)

80 power?! Really?! If 50 power equals 15 home runs per year, 60 power equals 20-30 homers per year, 70 power equals 30+ homers per year, 80 would be 40+ hoem run per year power. Does the kid really have THAT much power potential!?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
80 power?! Really?! If 50 power equals 15 home runs per year, 60 power equals 20-30 homers per year, 70 power equals 30+ homers per year, 80 would be 40+ hoem run per year power. Does the kid really have THAT much power potential!?

80 power nowadays is seen more as 30+ than 40+.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
80 power nowadays is seen more as 30+ than 40+.

I suppose. An 80 grade means elite for that particular skill, which I equate to top 5/10 in the mlb at. Either way, it will be years before he becomes relevant to the major league roster.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
I suppose. An 80 grade means elite for that particular skill, which I equate to top 5/10 in the mlb at. Either way, it will be years before he becomes relevant to the major league roster.

If he ever does.

He's the prime example of high ceiling, low floor. Any possibility ranging from MLB All Star down to never-above-A-ball are all reasonable possiblities. He is ranked purely on ceiling in this case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
2020 is more realistic.

I bet you're wrong on this one, Southsider. Not saying it will be as early as 2015, but if he comes out in 2020, that means he will have been under Sox control for 7 years. That's a long time for a ROY. If he is that good, his cream will rise to the top well before next decade. That said, I bet we'll have a good idea if he is a great prospect by the end of 2015. I sure hope he plays somewhere this year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)
I bet you're wrong on this one, Southsider. Not saying it will be as early as 2015, but if he comes out in 2020, that means he will have been under Sox control for 7 years. That's a long time for a ROY. If he is that good, his cream will rise to the top well before next decade. That said, I bet we'll have a good idea if he is a great prospect by the end of 2015. I sure hope he plays somewhere this year.

That would make him 23 years old. That isn't "old" at all.