Top White Sox Prospects - 2014 Pre-Season

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Was it the other arm in college? If so, that wouldn't be too concerning (i.e. not a re-emergence of the exact same injury, just a symmetrical process). Otherwise, possibly yikes.

I believe it is the same arm.

Again, I get the impression that once it is moved, as long as it stays put, he's 100% fine and normal. It is only a question of, will it or could it move again? Because then he's out for a few months at a shot. It was apparently 5 years or so between instances in this case.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
I believe it is the same arm.

Again, I get the impression that once it is moved, as long as it stays put, he's 100% fine and normal. It is only a question of, will it or could it move again? Because then he's out for a few months at a shot. It was apparently 5 years or so between instances in this case.

OK. Makes sense now. It is a very common and low risk surgery. He will not have any problems later. The first surgery was probably to release it from an entrapment and the second is called an ulnar nerve transposition where they take the nerve out of it's tunnel under the arm and move it on top and secure it with fascial tissue. He probably has some damage to his ulnar collateral ligament and the joint is a little loose.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
OK. Makes sense now. It is a very common and low risk surgery. He will not have any problems later. The first surgery was probably to release it from an entrapment and the second is called an ulnar nerve transposition where they take the nerve out of it's tunnel under the arm and move it on top and secure it with fascial tissue. He probably has some damage to his ulnar collateral ligament and the joint is a little loose.

Is it nuts that I understand everything you said here?

I love the fact that you post here. Thanks again.

He did have a minor shoulder injury late in the regular season, that I saw in person. He dove in short RF and fell hard on his throwing shoulder, same arm as the nerve thing. Any chance that could be what triggered the problem coming back and needing a second surgery?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Seriously, great having that kind of poster here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
I love the fact that you post here. Thanks again.

No problems. I like reading about various injuries and interventions. Occupational hazzard.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
He did have a minor shoulder injury late in the regular season, that I saw in person. He dove in short RF and fell hard on his throwing shoulder, same arm as the nerve thing. Any chance that could be what triggered the problem coming back and needing a second surgery?

Very possible. The injury starts as an overuse injury and poor throwing mechanics. The ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) loosens and the inside of the elbow creates too much of an angle when throwing due to the forces. The ulnar nerve is then stretched as he throws causing the numbness or tingling. Now once it is already predisposed to being irritated, if you slam it on the ground and aggravate it (as well as possibly injuring the UCL again) it may cause enough problems that the surgeon just decide to move it to keep it from getting aggravated again.

The surgery is really to prevent it from happening again not to help the current pain or numbness.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
Very possible. The injury starts as an overuse injury and poor throwing mechanics. The ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) loosens and the inside of the elbow creates too much of an angle when throwing due to the forces. The ulnar nerve is then stretched as he throws causing the numbness or tingling. Now once it is already predisposed to being irritated, if you slam it on the ground and aggravate it (as well as possibly injuring the UCL again) it may cause enough problems that the surgeon just decide to move it to keep it from getting aggravated again.

The surgery is really to prevent it from happening again not to help the current pain or numbness.

Interesting.

This also may make a move to CF a lot less likely for Johnson (some people have suggested that due to his glove work issues at 2B). Being a 2B you don't need to make nearly as much effort on throws as you would from the outfield.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Interesting.

This also may make a move to CF a lot less likely for Johnson (some people have suggested that due to his glove work issues at 2B). Being a 2B you don't need to make nearly as much effort on throws as you would from the outfield.

Honestly, if some team grew infatuated with him, Johnson is a guy I'd move right away. I just don't think he has a particularly high ceiling. I think his upside is a guy like Chone Figgins, and more likely, a utility player and pinch runner.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Honestly, if some team grew infatuated with him, Johnson is a guy I'd move right away. I just don't think he has a particularly high ceiling. I think his upside is a guy like Chone Figgins, and more likely, a utility player and pinch runner.

Odds are pretty good he never contributes to the White Sox.

I think the ceiling is there, my doubts are about floor and risk. Injury risk is something to consider here. And I think the floor is, he doesn't hit at the higher levels and can't even take his speed to the majors, especially if he can't improve defensively. That's why I'd trade him if there was value in return - the ceiling is enticing, but I have strong doubts about his ability to reach it.

His ceiling is, with his speed and athleticism, if he can get better with the glove (still very possible) and be able to hit higher level pitching pretty well (also possible), he's a starting-caliber 2B.

I agree with this. He seems like a guy that they are really pumping up as well. Sometimes they don't do that with the guys that they love. Micah is at Soxfest as a AA 2B.

I disagree with you and Wite on Micah Johnson. He put up great numbers as a 22 year old. Okay, he only hit .238 at B'ham at end of season in 21 AB's. So what? One extra hit would have added almost 50 points to his BA there. Plus, he did well in AFL. He stole 87 bases in 2013. I have never seen him play, but he's gotta be one of the most exciting Sox non-pitching prospects in a long time. Some say he is too old (he just turned 23 last month), but that's what happens when you go to college-- you get older. We have three great middle infield prospects in Micah, Semien, and Sanchez. Don't trade them -- yet. Let's see how they do in the next few months.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
I disagree with you and Wite on Micah Johnson. He put up great numbers as a 22 year old. Okay, he only hit .238 at B'ham at end of season in 21 AB's. So what? One extra hit would have added almost 50 points to his BA there. Plus, he did well in AFL. He stole 87 bases in 2013. I have never seen him play, but he's gotta be one of the most exciting Sox non-pitching prospects in a long time. Some say he is too old (he just turned 23 last month), but that's what happens when you go to college-- you get older. We have three great middle infield prospects in Micah, Semien, and Sanchez. Don't trade them -- yet. Let's see how they do in the next few months.

No one cares about what he did at Birmingham. I care about what he did in Winston-Salem, which was over 228 plate appearances and wasn't good (.670 OPS). He made our top 10 for good reason, but he's got major question marks. I'll admit that I had him lower than anyone else in our poll, 13, because of his rocky adjustment to higher levels.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 12:11 AM)
No one cares about what he did at Birmingham. I care about what he did in Winston-Salem, which was over 228 plate appearances and wasn't good (.670 OPS). He made our top 10 for good reason, but he's got major question marks. I'll admit that I had him lower than anyone else in our poll, 13, because of his rocky adjustment to higher levels.

If I had to do it again, I'd have him around 13-15.

Because there aren't a lot of high upside guys in the system and those that are high upside have struggled. Erik Johnson is considered to be the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in the system and he's projected to be a middle of the rotation starting pitcher.

Beyond that, minor league rankings are for the birds anyways.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Is he counting Jose Abreu as part of the system? You don't count him and it looks a lot worse.

That's a good question. Some lists didn't include Davidson either because they think he won't see the minors (though I think he may). Without Abreu and Davidson, the org is still better than it was, but isn't nearly as strong.

• 3 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50018

Patrick (Chicago)

Now that the White Sox have a GM who appears to be more committed to stocking the farm system, is there a chance they could escape the bottom 10 of the org rankings within the next 2-3 years?

Klaw

(1:10 PM)

Yes. This year's draft will do a lot for them. They haven't picked this high since - I had to look this up - 1977, when they took Harold Baines first overall, and they've only had one top-ten selection since 1990 (Gordon Beckham, 8th overall, 2008).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Brad Goldberg, one to keep an eye on.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/white-...p;vkey=news_cws

Was a bit surprised that he, too, will be a starter this season. May delay his path to future closer, but if he has 4 pitches as the article says, maybe it's worth a shot.