Top White Sox Prospects - 2014 Pre-Season

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Was a bit surprised that he, too, will be a starter this season. May delay his path to future closer, but if he has 4 pitches as the article says, maybe it's worth a shot.

I don't feel like "being a starter" delays guys on the path to a bullpen role in this org, might even be the opposite; they use it to build up arm strength and experience with offspeed stuff before they wind up in the bullpen at higher levels. Petricka, for example, was starting all the way through the beginning of 2013, and spent less than 1 full season in the minor league bullpens before being called up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they do it for a number of reasons. First, it puts the arm through a lot of strain, which is a test for durability. Second, you are forced to pitch rather than getting by on pure stuff alone. Third, you are forced to use more pitches (beyond just the "pitching" thing), which improves the quality of them over time. Plus, you may actually develop into a starter, which is ultra good for you development.

There are other benefits, but those are the 3 big ones to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I don't feel like "being a starter" delays guys on the path to a bullpen role in this org, might even be the opposite; they use it to build up arm strength and experience with offspeed stuff before they wind up in the bullpen at higher levels. Petricka, for example, was starting all the way through the beginning of 2013, and spent less than 1 full season in the minor league bullpens before being called up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
I think they do it for a number of reasons. First, it puts the arm through a lot of strain, which is a test for durability. Second, you are forced to pitch rather than getting by on pure stuff alone. Third, you are forced to use more pitches (beyond just the "pitching" thing), which improves the quality of them over time. Plus, you may actually develop into a starter, which is ultra good for you development.

There are other benefits, but those are the 3 big ones to me.

I agree with the benefits, just thought he profiled well to closing and that they'd be handling him in the same way as Reed, who flew through the system in a way that a starting experiment perhaps would not allow.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
I agree with the benefits, just thought he profiled well to closing and that they'd be handling him in the same way as Reed, who flew through the system in a way that a starting experiment perhaps would not allow.

The issue is there is not a lot of opportunity to fly through the system with the pitching depth at the upper levels.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)

Personally, I wish they'd have given Reed a look as a starter.