Bieber got a DUI

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Isn't Lindsey Lohan an American citizen?

WHO CARES. He isnt getting deported, he isnt getting 6 months, he will go to rehab, have an oprah moment, and we will all move on. You can stop worrying now about who exactly got hurt when a 19 year old kid is street racing his four wheeler while drunk and high down a suburb street

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
I think you're misinterpreting my post. This really isn't that bad of an offense, I've definitely done similar s***. So have many.

Im not misinterpreting anything. If I got busted doing what he did, I would expect a s***storm coming my way, US citizen or not. Just because you did it doesnt make it "not that bad of an offense".

JB will not get the sentence he deserves because drunk driving sentences are way too light in general. First offense should be 30 days in jail and 6 months suspended license. Second offense should be a year in jail and 5 years suspended license. Third offense should be 10 years in jail and permanently suspended license. No exceptions.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
JB will not get the sentence he deserves because drunk driving sentences are way too light in general. First offense should be 30 days in jail and 6 months suspended license. Second offense should be a year in jail and 5 years suspended license. Third offense should be 10 years in jail and permanently suspended license. No exceptions.

He isnt gonna get anything. He is a pop star, and a kid at that. He will get the pop star treatment

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's harsh.

Im not misinterpreting anything. If I got busted doing what he did, I would expect a s***storm coming my way, US citizen or not. Just because you did it doesnt make it "not that bad of an offense".

When I did it nobody got hurt. When Bieber did it nobody got hurt. Where's the victim?

When I did it nobody got hurt. When Bieber did it nobody got hurt. Where's the victim?

When you drive drunk, whether or not there is a victim is more a matter of luck and less a matter of the decision-making by the drunk driver. 80% or whatever of drunk drivers don't happen to have oncoming traffic at the moment they swerve into the other lane but the other 20% do. The problem with the "There is no victim" attitude is that we don't have harsh enough sentences when there aren't victims, thus there is little deterrent to driving drunk and thus we end up with lots of victims.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)

Unfortunately due to your reckless behavior you could potentially kill/harm someone so terribly that money cant fix the problem. Thus we cant just "wait for the result and punish accordingly".

In many cases I agree though, we should only punish those who cause harm to another. If Bieber was on his own property and he was acting like a stupid idiot, Id have no problem.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Unfortunately due to your reckless behavior you could potentially kill/harm someone so terribly that money cant fix the problem. Thus we cant just "wait for the result and punish accordingly".

In many cases I agree though, we should only punish those who cause harm to another. If Bieber was on his own property and he was acting like a stupid idiot, Id have no problem.

If the property is access-controlled (e.g. fenced off), it's not illegal depending on jurisdiction.

It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. This teenage girl that weighs like 110 lbs was legally drunk and high on scripts managed to drag race a Lamborghini without incident. There's maybe 50 people in this country that are actually f***ed up at .10; much less .08.

It's all about control and the pockets of criminal defense lawyers who would be on SNAP if those laws went away.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. This teenage girl that weighs like 110 lbs was legally drunk and high on scripts managed to drag race a Lamborghini without incident. There's maybe 50 people in this country that are actually f***ed up at .10; much less .08.

It's all about control and the pockets of criminal defense lawyers who would be on SNAP if those laws went away.

My cousin is a state cop. I've had him give me breathalyzers after I've had a good night of drinking (but not driving) just to see what I would register. The two times we did it I blew .06 and .09 and in both cases I did not feel even close to being able to drive.

Are there people who drink frequently and can build up a tolerance to the point that .08, or even .10 does not severely impair their ability to drive? Yes. But don't even try to argue that everybody, or even most people, are OK to drive at .08.

I have driven home, likely at .12, and I regretted it immediately, even if I was extra cautious, in full control of the vehicle, and had my wits about me. It's f***ing stupid. I wish that went without saying.

BUT HE WAS ALSO HIGH ON WEED AND PILLS. Dude was f***ing tripping man. Justifying this by saying "HEY BRO HE DIDN'T HURT ANYONE CHILL HAVE ANOTHER AND SMOKE ONE WITH ME AIGHT" is stupid.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)

I think you’re actually arguing two separate things here. If you are saying that .08 is too low of a limit to be considered drunk, that’s one thing.

But I think most people are taking your comments as saying that it’s ok to go get blackout drunk, drive home and as long as you don’t hurt anyone, there should be no problem.

Unless that’s actually what you are saying…

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)

Ive managed to operate a vehicle while on hallucinogens, it doesnt mean that it wasnt extremely reckless, stupid.

And strangely when I grew up, I recognized that was not okay behavior and now I wont drive when I drink at all. I pay for a cab. Its called being a responsible human.