Bieber got a DUI

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
When I did it nobody got hurt. When Bieber did it nobody got hurt. Where's the victim?

So if I go down to Daley Plaza and just start spinning around and shooting a gun aimlessly, I'm cool until someone actually gets hurt, in your opinion?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
When you drive drunk, whether or not there is a victim is more a matter of luck and less a matter of the decision-making by the drunk driver. 80% or whatever of drunk drivers don't happen to have oncoming traffic at the moment they swerve into the other lane but the other 20% do. The problem with the "There is no victim" attitude is that we don't have harsh enough sentences when there aren't victims, thus there is little deterrent to driving drunk and thus we end up with lots of victims.

The sentences when there ARE victims are weak.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. This teenage girl that weighs like 110 lbs was legally drunk and high on scripts managed to drag race a Lamborghini without incident. There's maybe 50 people in this country that are actually f***ed up at .10; much less .08.

It's all about control and the pockets of criminal defense lawyers who would be on SNAP if those laws went away.

Again, you're a complete buffoon.

So if I go down to Daley Plaza and just start spinning around and shooting a gun aimlessly, I'm cool until someone actually gets hurt, in your opinion?

Equating that to driving after drinking 3 beers (That's a DUI in our f***ed in the head country) is stupid.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Equating that to driving after drinking 3 beers (That's a DUI in our f***ed in the head country) is stupid.

That depends on what state you live in. North Dakota has a .08 limit, and I have blown and tested out what I can legally do.

I can have 3 beers pretty easily and drive home, so long as I wait 2 hours to drive. If I shotgun 3 beers and drive immediately after that, I'm SOL. The most I will drink while still driving home is 5 beers, and I will make sure it's been - at a minimum - 4 hours prior to driving home. If I have a 6 pack, I'm getting a ride.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)

There are plenty of people that feel they are fine in any circumstance to drive, obviously you are among them. There are also many people that feel they are fine that plow into trees or other cars andhurt people. I'm sure a lot of those people rethink their definition if "fine"after the fact, but by then it is too late.

That depends on what state you live in. North Dakota has a .08 limit, and I have blown and tested out what I can legally do.

I can have 3 beers pretty easily and drive home, so long as I wait 2 hours to drive. If I shotgun 3 beers and drive immediately after that, I'm SOL. The most I will drink while still driving home is 5 beers, and I will make sure it's been - at a minimum - 4 hours prior to driving home. If I have a 6 pack, I'm getting a ride.

Im pretty sure those crazed MADD whores have coerced the federal govt into withholding highway funds from any state not at .08. I could be wrong.

Just an fyi- if you can just feel the effect of booze it doesn't mean you are impaired. Something nobody seems to point out when these loons lobby for (and get) these totalitarian nanny state laws passed

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Im pretty sure those crazed MADD whores have coerced the federal govt into withholding highway funds from any state not at .08. I could be wrong.

Just an fyi- if you can just feel the effect of booze it doesn't mean you are impaired. Something nobody seems to point out when these loons lobby for (and get) these totalitarian nanny state laws passed

Having driven through South Dakota probably a hundred times during the summers, I assure you this is simply not the case.

Also, I can feel the effect one beer has one me, but I'm not buzzed. Yes, it's cheesy, but buzzed driving is drunk driving.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
We are turning into a nanny society but that's a horrible example. Drunk driving laws are not harsh enough IMO

It's probably been done, but I'd love to see per capita studies of DUI arrests for no tolerance states (1 drink = DUI) versus .08 states. I honestly wonder how much of an effect that has.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
It's probably been done, but I'd love to see per capita studies of DUI arrests for no tolerance states (1 drink = DUI) versus .08 states. I honestly wonder how much of an effect that has.

Here's alcohol-related driving fatalities per vehicle miles, using 2008 data:

nhtsaalcoholdeaths.jpg

Could compare that to DUI laws by states circa 2008.

edit: Progressive Insurance lists the BAC limit as 0.08 in every state as of 2004.

http://www.progressive.com/vehicle-resourc...hol-calculator/

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)

nhtsaalcoholdeaths.jpg

edit: Progressive Insurance lists the BAC limit as 0.08 in every state as of 2004.

Thanks, that's a good start. I know Minnesota is zero tolerance, and with the increased awareness for drunk driving, I think .08 BAC laws as of even 2008 are going to be extremely outdated. This is a bit how I expected it to turn out too.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)

nhtsaalcoholdeaths.jpg

Also, even as a conservative, it's not surprising to see that red states have the higher death rates, likely due to more lenient drunk driving laws.

In North Dakota, rather than lowering the limit, they increased the fines. I don't believe there's been much of an effect other than the state of North Dakota increasing their budget due to DUI arrests.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Also, even as a conservative, it's not surprising to see that red states have the higher death rates, likely due to more lenient drunk driving laws.

In North Dakota, rather than lowering the limit, they increased the fines. I don't believe there's been much of an effect other than the state of North Dakota increasing their budget due to DUI arrests.

There's probably a pretty good correlation there between population density as well. Millions of people live in chicago, new york, LA, etc. and can easily take public transportation or a taxi or just walk a mile or so to the bar.

Having driven through South Dakota probably a hundred times during the summers, I assure you this is simply not the case.

Also, I can feel the effect one beer has one me, but I'm not buzzed. Yes, it's cheesy, but buzzed driving is drunk driving.

Oh no it is f***ing not. Drunk driving is drunk driving. Since when are people so gullible when it comes to this s***? You all drink, right? You know. Why is it not enough to just say "it's up to you if you had too much but if you kill someone it's your ass"?

There's probably a pretty good correlation there between population density as well. Millions of people live in chicago, new york, LA, etc. and can easily take public transportation or a taxi or just walk a mile or so to the bar.

Well, you'd have to struggle to get pulled over for a DUI in Chicago. Maybe wrong way down Lake Shore Dr in reverse with your left turn signal on would get them to at least breathalyze you.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Thanks, that's a good start. I know Minnesota is zero tolerance, and with the increased awareness for drunk driving, I think .08 BAC laws as of even 2008 are going to be extremely outdated. This is a bit how I expected it to turn out too.

some quick googling shows that MN is "zero tolerance" for people under 21 but 0.08 like just about everywhere else (at least at the state level, some cities might be more strict).

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/minnesota.php

You can go state-by-state here, for example ND is 0.00 under 21, 0.08 over 21, and 0.04 commercial driver