Snow Blower vs. Lawn Mower

Texsox

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather be pushing?

• Lawn mower
    • Snow Blower
    • Neither. I'd rather pay

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
:huh

It's been a long time since I needed to use either one.

I don't think this is much of a poll...this is almost like asking would you rather have cancer or be healthy? It's pretty obvious which will win.

You added in a 3rd option after I cast my vote. Originally it was lawn vs snow. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
My power rankings for outside maintenance:

1. Snow Shovel

2. Push Mower

3. Riding Mower

4. Snow Blower

I hate snow blowers and prefer to get a workout when shoveling or mowing!

Hate snow blowers huh?

You are more than welcome to shovel my 125 foot driveway.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Yeah, you can just throw on some headphones and zone out for a while.

I do that with snow blowing/shoveling too but its definitely more work.

My yard is tiny, I bet sitting on riding mower with a cold one in a large yard is awesome.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
I do that with snow blowing/shoveling too but its definitely more work.

My yard is tiny, I bet sitting on riding mower with a cold one in a large yard is awesome.

I had 4 acres of hilly grass in Ann Arbor, it was fun driving around on the John Deere the first few times, but after that it got old spending hours cutting the grass every other weekend.

I had 4 acres of hilly grass in Ann Arbor, it was fun driving around on the John Deere the first few times, but after that it got old spending hours cutting the grass every other weekend.

Plenty of nearby recent college graduates who are qualified to cut your grass.

Alright, f*** it. With this impending snow storm, i'm buying a snow blower. Anyone have any recommendations? I have a pretty typical suburban 2 car wide driveway, probably 30-35 ft long and some walkways to the front door and back door. The only wrinkle is that my driveway is angled, so where it meets the road it always gets 2-4 feet deep because of the trucks plowing the street.

What would people recommend? A manual single stage or a larger self-propelled double stage blower? I'd prefer not to have to create an oil/gas mix since my lawn mower doesn't require it. I've heard most single stage models require the mix.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Alright, f*** it. With this impending snow storm, i'm buying a snow blower. Anyone have any recommendations? I have a pretty typical suburban 2 car wide driveway, probably 30-35 ft long and some walkways to the front door and back door. The only wrinkle is that my driveway is angled, so where it meets the road it always gets 2-4 feet deep because of the trucks plowing the street.

What would people recommend? A manual single stage or a larger self-propelled double stage blower? I'd prefer not to have to create an oil/gas mix since my lawn mower doesn't require it. I've heard most single stage models require the mix.

I’ve gone through a couple of small single stage blowers that required the mixed gas and they always seemed to be more of a PITA to deal with than what they were worth.

I only have a shovel right now but my next blower is going to be a 2-stage.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
but the polices will come for you

We have an acre in Michigan I would love to do this with, and there are zero police anywhere near by. It does seem relaxing. I actually dont mind mowing my lawn now. With the emergence of iphone and music players it really makes mundane tasks alot easier. I spent the last 3 nights putting together ridiculous baby furniture, music and Howard Stern got me through without stabbing myself.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)

So here is the rub:

You can go out and buy a 200-400 dollar toro, single stage blower and be fine for 7-15 years. But it WILL wear out.

I bought one of the power clear 18in ones for my building a few years ago for snow removal and now I use it on my 120 foot driveway. Its worked great. Separate oil/gas throws snow fine, starts like a charm. However I know that within 5 years something on it will break or rust out.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/snow-b...lear-621-Series

My parents have one going on 15 years and surprisingly its still chugging along pretty good. They live in DG with a typical 2 car driveway.

Unless you have a GIANT driveway/area with multiple surfaces you are going to be fine with one of those. You wont break the bank and with typical snow you will be happy. When you get to two stages you have to start shopping around brands and you will need a larger place to store it and 90 percent of the time it will be overkill, however those few times when you get a ridiculous amount of heavy wet snow, your neighbors will be jealous. Most of those are heavy duty and guaranteed for life and they probably will last that long. My friends dad has a 40 year old briggs and stratton engine on his and it will throw the f***ing pavement if you want it to.

Here is the little bastard I have I think

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Snow-B...Clear-418-38272

I bought it on sale and it still kicks ass. I got it about 7 years ago. Added oil twice (they are about 5-10 bucks at jewel) and thats it. Starts up everytime with no issue and is small enough to tuck away in my garage. I would say something like this is more than enough.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
So here is the rub:

You can go out and buy a 200-400 dollar toro, single stage blower and be fine for 7-15 years. But it WILL wear out.

I bought one of the power clear 18in ones for my building a few years ago for snow removal and now I use it on my 120 foot driveway. Its worked great. Separate oil/gas throws snow fine, starts like a charm. However I know that within 5 years something on it will break or rust out.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/snow-b...lear-621-Series

My parents have one going on 15 years and surprisingly its still chugging along pretty good. They live in DG with a typical 2 car driveway.

Unless you have a GIANT driveway/area with multiple surfaces you are going to be fine with one of those. You wont break the bank and with typical snow you will be happy. When you get to two stages you have to start shopping around brands and you will need a larger place to store it and 90 percent of the time it will be overkill, however those few times when you get a ridiculous amount of heavy wet snow, your neighbors will be jealous. Most of those are heavy duty and guaranteed for life and they probably will last that long. My friends dad has a 40 year old briggs and stratton engine on his and it will throw the f***ing pavement if you want it to.

Here is the little bastard I have I think

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Snow-B...Clear-418-38272

I bought it on sale and it still kicks ass. I got it about 7 years ago. Added oil twice (they are about 5-10 bucks at jewel) and thats it. Starts up everytime with no issue and is small enough to tuck away in my garage. I would say something like this is more than enough.

Yep, I was looking at that exact one at Home Depot. $399 w/ electric start. I'll probably just end up doing that. I went over the weekend and everyone was sold out of anything sub-$1,000.

I just know that if I get one it won't snow again all year after tonight/tomorrow. And in 2 weeks they'll run a special on these and the price will drop $50-75 bucks.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Yep, I was looking at that exact one at Home Depot. $399 w/ electric start. I'll probably just end up doing that. I went over the weekend and everyone was sold out of anything sub-$1,000.

I just know that if I get one it won't snow again all year after tonight/tomorrow. And in 2 weeks they'll run a special on these and the price will drop $50-75 bucks.

Then buy it NOW! I have the auger type 2 stage which works well for everything. I had a paddle, one stage and it didn't cut through the snow nearly as well. It made for more work sometimes in deeper snow.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)

I've used mine lets say with this year, 30-40 times since I got it. Worth every f***ing penny.

The only time it struggled was the bizzard a few years ago since it was 20+inches of snow, and the plowed over s*** at the end of my driveway at times. Sometimes you have to take a layer off. Other than that its been great.

My neighbor has a 1500+ two stage because he has gravel, the thing OWNS but watching him maneuver it is painful.