So call me confused

jasonxctf

But tik~tok spring training starts here soon. Seems like a few log jams in the roster? What am I missing?

4 starting outfielders- eaton, Garcia, viciedo and de Aza. What's going on here?

3 man rotation at 1b/dh- Dunn, konerko, Abreu

3b- Davidson, Gillespie and keplinger?

Is Davidson going to AAA?

Is De Aza really getting benched? Seems like a big contract for a 4th outfielder.

Who is the starting 3b? Guessing Kepp is the utility IF since he can play all 4 infield positions?

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads. Kind of checked out for a bit.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahn probably hasn't got the value for whichever players he is looking to trade yet. I'm sure he is willing to put Davidson in AAA if need be. But for lack of all our patience I hope he can move Kepp sooner than later. That move at earliest will happen after the first couple months of the season because of injuries.

Dunn is the starting DH and Abreu is the starting 1B. Konerko is the backup.

There is still time to trade Viciedo or De Aza, but if the Sox can't get good value for them, there's nothing wrong with a LF platoon.

The guy I'm most hoping to see gone is Keppinger. Either way, I think Davidson is the starter if he can beat out Gillaspie, and at AAA if he can't.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 06:27 AM)
Dunn is the starting DH and Abreu is the starting 1B. Konerko is the backup.

There is still time to trade Viciedo or De Aza, but if the Sox can't get good value for them, there's nothing wrong with a LF platoon.

The guy I'm most hoping to see gone is Keppinger. Either way, I think Davidson is the starter if he can beat out Gillaspie, and at AAA if he can't.

If you're talking a Viciedo vs lefty, De Aza vs righty platoon in left field, you're only giving Viciedo around 200 PAs. That would be a horrible idea and basically admitting that he is not going to amount to anything. Not to mention the fact that Viciedo hit righties better last year.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
Hahn is not done. Book it.

I don't know, Knuckles. He hasn't made a move in a long time. I'm sure he is weighing his options for De Aza. In all honesty, I'm sure zero teams want Flowers or Keppinger at this point. I hate to put Davidson in Charlotte for the first 2-3 months of the season, but Keppinger needs to increase his value for us to rid of that contract. Remember, he still has 3 years left on it.

The Sox need a catcher more than anything else at this point, and Hahn knows this. I really hope this move gets done before ST, but I'm not counting on it.

I don't see any of the guys we have left to trade equaling a young catcher. For the guys we have to offer, I think you are talking fringey kind of bullpen arms, which on this team could be diamond in the roughs considering Coop's history with getting good use out of them. Thornton was like 27 when we got him and he was in horrible shape until Coop worked his magic.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
It would have been much easier to trade Keppinger before re-signing Konerko and acquiring Davidson. Now every team knows Hahn is desperate to move him.

I think if any team really wants Keppinger, the offers won't change. I think most GMs think of their roster before trying to screw another GM.

It wasn't like Jeff Keppinger was going to bring back anything of use anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
But tik~tok spring training starts here soon. Seems like a few log jams in the roster? What am I missing?

4 starting outfielders- eaton, Garcia, viciedo and de Aza. What's going on here?

3 man rotation at 1b/dh- Dunn, konerko, Abreu

3b- Davidson, Gillespie and keplinger?

Is Davidson going to AAA?

Is De Aza really getting benched? Seems like a big contract for a 4th outfielder.

Who is the starting 3b? Guessing Kepp is the utility IF since he can play all 4 infield positions?

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads. Kind of checked out for a bit.

Hi, Confused.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 05:38 AM)
If you're talking a Viciedo vs lefty, De Aza vs righty platoon in left field, you're only giving Viciedo around 200 PAs. That would be a horrible idea and basically admitting that he is not going to amount to anything. Not to mention the fact that Viciedo hit righties better last year.

Yeah, there won't be a LF platoon, but ADA could backup all the OF positions and still get a fair amount of AB's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)
I think if any team really wants Keppinger, the offers won't change. I think most GMs think of their roster before trying to screw another GM.

After thinking of their own roster, I would hope a GM says, "Hey, that roster is a clusterf***, maybe I can offer them less for that guy, or I will just wait til they DFA him."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
After thinking of their own roster, I would hope a GM says, "Hey, that roster is a clusterf***, maybe I can offer them less for that guy, or I will just wait til they DFA him."

Seriously, what would you expect someone to offer for Keppinger now and how do you think it would be different if they didn't have Davidson? The Sox aren't going to release him. Guys who can't run or field and have .600 OPSs and are owed $8 million generally bring you back some guy in A ball who if everything went right would be a poor man's Dylan Axelrod, even if you eat most of the contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Seriously, what would you expect someone to offer for Keppinger now and how do you think it would be different if they didn't have Davidson? The Sox aren't going to release him. Guys who can't run or field and have .600 OPSs and are owed $8 million generally bring you back some guy in A ball who if everything went right would be a poor man's Dylan Axelrod, even if you eat most of the contract.

So then he's not getting traded? By that logic, trade and DFA are essentialy the exact same thing.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
So then he's not getting traded? By that logic, trade and DFA are essentialy the exact same thing.

He might be a throw in addition to a bigger deal, but Keppinger doesn't have value. If the Sox didn't have him and needed a 3rd baseman or 2nd baseman and his contract and 2013 were the same for another team, if Hahn gave up anything of value or took on the contract, we all would be saying wtf.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)

This. Keppinger is the most likely guy to get moved to a team in Spring Training that just suffered a long-term injury to an infielder. He's a stopgap no matter how you look at it, and the absolute best we can expect is some salary relief and MAYBE a live arm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
(I still think this is a terrible idea)

Well, I expect him to be traded, but it may not be before the start of the season. Actually expect it to be midseason, now. He's insurance for Eaton, and he'll have a lot of late game action in LF as D replacement for Tank, on days he doesn't start.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen