So call me confused

jasonxctf

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
in recent memory, has a trade like this occurred so late in the process? I can't seem to recall a Spring Training move that was of significance like this would be.

The last couple years the offseason has been getting later and later in terms of moves. Also this year you had Tanaka waiting and other things pending. I think there will be a flurry of moves in the next week or two around baseball, and I'd be surprised if the Sox weren't among them.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
in recent memory, has a trade like this occurred so late in the process? I can't seem to recall a Spring Training move that was of significance like this would be.

I would imagine that there's always a few back-end-of-the-roster moves in ST. That's how we wound up with Matt Thornton, for example.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
This. Keppinger is the most likely guy to get moved to a team in Spring Training that just suffered a long-term injury to an infielder. He's a stopgap no matter how you look at it, and the absolute best we can expect is some salary relief and MAYBE a live arm.

And if no team needs him as an injury replacement, then you are stuck with him & Konerko wasting an extra roster spot.

I've alluded to this before too, but the Sox don't HAVE to move De Aza. It'd be a waste of a valuable resource, but there are ways of making things work in the outfield where all of the players get their fair share of ABs. In that situation, Jordan Danks has to clear waivers before being sent back to the minors. Is anyone that concerned with losing Jordan Danks?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
I've alluded to this before too, but the Sox don't HAVE to move De Aza. It'd be a waste of a valuable resource, but there are ways of making things work in the outfield where all of the players get their fair share of ABs. In that situation, Jordan Danks has to clear waivers before being sent back to the minors. Is anyone that concerned with losing Jordan Danks?

Maybe John Danks?

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)

I don't think anybody is going to cry themselves to sleep if the Sox lose Jordan Danks, but the thing I wonder is do the Sox really want to pay a fourth outfielder over $4 million when they could keep Jordan Danks around at less than 25% of the cost. Danks proved to me last year that he has enough to stick as a fourth outfielder. He is a good defender and has good speed. That's really what you're looking for in a fourth outfielder. I certainly would not just give De Aza away as he has at least a little value, but I would certainly try to move him.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Maybe John Danks?

Last year was the first year they actually played on the same team. They were in the same dugout in 2012, but John was obviously on the DL.

They're big boys and realize this is a business. If John can't handle not being around his brother, than the Sox need to get him off the team.

This is all likely a moot point as the Sox will almost assuredly find a taker for De Aza by that time.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
I don't think anybody is going to cry themselves to sleep if the Sox lose Jordan Danks, but the thing I wonder is do the Sox really want to pay a fourth outfielder over $4 million when they could keep Jordan Danks around at less than 25% of the cost. Danks proved to me last year that he has enough to stick as a fourth outfielder. He is a good defender and has good speed. That's really what you're looking for in a fourth outfielder. I certainly would not just give De Aza away as he has at least a little value, but I would certainly try to move him.

I agree with absolutely everything in this post.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Last year was the first year they actually played on the same team. They were in the same dugout in 2012, but John was obviously on the DL.

They're big boys and realize this is a business. If John can't handle not being around his brother, than the Sox need to get him off the team.

This is all likely a moot point as the Sox will almost assuredly find a taker for De Aza by that time.

Sorry, I was mostly kidding. Nobody will really care if Jordan Danks is gone to any appreciable degree. It might make John very slightly sad is all.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Sorry, I was mostly kidding. Nobody will really care if Jordan Danks is gone to any appreciable degree. It might make John very slightly sad is all.

Like Tulsa said too, I want to keep Danks because I think he can be a valuable player for the Sox, but I'm not going to lose sleep if he ends up with the Tigers.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)

In addition to this, De Aza is a terrible fit as a 4th OF with this roster.

He isn't a solid defender at any of the 3 positions so you're not going to use him as a defensive replacement and expect a big improvement. There's a lefty in the OF who might well hit leadoff already, so he's not going to take many at bats from the CF. The RF has good speed so he's not going to pinch-run for the RF very often. The LF is a righty without much speed so you could in theory get him some at bats there, but all 3 OF guys are players you want playing every day either to develop them or to see if it's time to cut the cord and let the RF go.

On top of that, De Aza got off to a very slow start last year, which doesn't bode well for him coming off the bench a few times per week either.

Jordan Danks is sort of the ideal 4th OF for this roster. Cheap, able to be used as a defensive replacement at any position, and a lefty so you can sit the 2 right-handed corner OF's when they actually need a day off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
In addition to this, De Aza is a terrible fit as a 4th OF with this roster.

He isn't a solid defender at any of the 3 positions so you're not going to use him as a defensive replacement and expect a big improvement. There's a lefty in the OF who might well hit leadoff already, so he's not going to take many at bats from the CF. The RF has good speed so he's not going to pinch-run for the RF very often. The LF is a righty without much speed so you could in theory get him some at bats there, but all 3 OF guys are players you want playing every day either to develop them or to see if it's time to cut the cord and let the RF go.

On top of that, De Aza got off to a very slow start last year, which doesn't bode well for him coming off the bench a few times per week either.

Jordan Danks is sort of the ideal 4th OF for this roster. Cheap, able to be used as a defensive replacement at any position, and a lefty so you can sit the 2 right-handed corner OF's when they actually need a day off.

You mean LF, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Yes. Although Viciedo ought to fit better in RF and Garcia ought to fit better in LF on this roster, but that ship has probably sailed.

No no, we must slavishly adhere to the weird idea that the hierarchy is always CF>RF>LF!

P.S. I agree.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
From watching and deducing using stats, De Aza is a wreck in CF. It's passable in short stints, but he is not comfortable. On the other hand, I have no problem with him in the corners.

UZR actually has him as a slightly negative value LF over his career as well. At best he's a small upgrade over Viciedo but even in LF he's not a huge upgrade, and in RF his arm would be even more exposed than it is in LF.

You can put him there and get adequate results but it's just not the best way to use either him or the backup OF spot. If I'm taking Viciedo out in the 8th inning, I want a serious defensive upgrade, and that's not De Aza.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
UZR actually has him as a slightly negative value LF over his career as well. At best he's a small upgrade over Viciedo but even in LF he's not a huge upgrade, and in RF his arm would be even more exposed than it is in LF.

You can put him there and get adequate results but it's just not the best way to use either him or the backup OF spot. If I'm taking Viciedo out in the 8th inning, I want a serious defensive upgrade, and that's not De Aza.

That was just an observation, otherwise there is no disagreement on this topic whatsoever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
That's the thing, the Sox are aware of the state of the team, but you go into every season as if you are going to compete. If the Sox are going to compete, they are going to need Dunn's bat in the lineup.

Can they seriously compete with Detroit as they're built right now? I can't see how management would think so. If Dunn could bring a solid prospect in return for a year of his services then I'd be up for it.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Can they seriously compete with Detroit as they're built right now? I can't see how management would think so. If Dunn could bring a solid prospect in return for a year of his services then I'd be up for it.

He. Can't.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)

If Dunn could bring a beer vendor than only worked Wednesday afternoons, Hahn would take it if it meant riding himself of the $15 million owed.