Sox still trying to trade Dunn?

southsider2k5

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
Just because you have money now doesn't mean it has to be spent now. That money could be used on Dunn's replacement after he's gone, or if Tank goes to DH it can be spent on a LH LF or a LH CF and move Eaton to LF or a catcher or any combo of these . All of those options better utilize the money than spending on pitchers that do not project good at the home run friendly Cell. You really think Jimenez' walks or Santana's HR's will project well at US Cellular? By no means is the joke on us.

Colby Rasmus is going to have a lot of suitors next offseason and they'll be the biggest spenders. The Sox aren't going to win the bidding for him.

As far as signing a pitcher goes, I think that rotation is a problem that needs to be addressed. A mid-rotation contract for Jimenez or Santana would be a wise investment at this point given their future payroll comittments.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
It is impossible that you have made it through this thread and so many others discussing the same topic without having read the many reasons for keeping him.

I guess I'm astonished so many people here think they'll be able to get anything for him. Build up De Aza and Vicideo's trade value that's where the Sox will reap the biggest rewards, to hell with Dunn.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
Colby Rasmus is going to have a lot of suitors next offseason and they'll be the biggest spenders. The Sox aren't going to win the bidding for him.

As far as signing a pitcher goes, I think that rotation is a problem that needs to be addressed. A mid-rotation contract for Jimenez or Santana would be a wise investment at this point given their future payroll comittments.

I don't know why you keep believing this....They were in the running for a 20M dollar free agent this year but you don't think they can get a guy who is going to make what 15M tops? Your boy Dunns contract is also off the book. I see no reason why they Sox can't/won't be big spenders next offseason.

Paulino was brought in to start, give the man a chance. He's got the potential to be just as good as Santana/Jimenez.

I know I'm cherry picking a just a bit but over his past 2 year he's really only had 1 bad game as a starter. In that game he gave up 6 runs in 4 innings. Sans that game 1 game he has a 3.40 era over his last 153 innings pitched as a starter. I really think he could end up being a really good signing.

Edited by scs787

I'll be watching Rasmus closely this year. Look at what he accomplished in 118 games:

OF WAR

1. Mike Trout 10.4

2. Andrew McCutchen 8.2

3. Carlos Gomez 7.6

4. Jacoby Ellsbury 5.8

5. Shane Victorino 5.6

6. Hunter Pence 5.4

7. Shin Soo-Choo 5.2

8. Carlos Gonzalez 4.9

9. Colby Rasmus 4.8

10. Jayson Werth 4.6

He's just entering his prime, so we'll see if he can build on his 2013 success.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
Agree I don't want him

Did you see the year that he had last year? He was fantastic. He had a 4.8 WAR. He had a .501 slugging percentage and a wRC+ of 130. He also hit 22 Homers and played great defense. Now to be objective he did have a .356 BABIP. He quietly was really good though.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
I'll be watching Rasmus closely this year. Look at what he accomplished in 118 games:

OF WAR

1. Mike Trout 10.4

2. Andrew McCutchen 8.2

3. Carlos Gomez 7.6

4. Jacoby Ellsbury 5.8

5. Shane Victorino 5.6

6. Hunter Pence 5.4

7. Shin Soo-Choo 5.2

8. Carlos Gonzalez 4.9

9. Colby Rasmus 4.8

10. Jayson Werth 4.6

He's just entering his prime, so we'll see if he can build on his 2013 success.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos...ARBR/order/true

You're missing Puig at 5.0

I have always liked Rasmus. I was hoping that we actually got him back in 2011 when the Sox traded away E Jax. I do think he is the type of player Hahn will be targeting next offseason with Konerko and Dunn off the books. Viciedo appears to be the favorite as the new permanent DH going forward in 2015 and beyond. I will keep a close eye on Colby's #s this year for sure.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
I have always liked Rasmus. I was hoping that we actually got him back in 2011 when the Sox traded away E Jax. I do think he is the type of player Hahn will be targeting next offseason with Konerko and Dunn off the books. Viciedo appears to be the favorite as the new permanent DH going forward in 2015 and beyond. I will keep a close eye on Colby's #s this year for sure.

Viciedo's too young to DH, besides he has not shown enough thus far to keep just for his offensive production. He needs to be the everyday LF'er at least until the All-Star break 2014 to get a better reading on what his worth is.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)

Yeah, it just so happens that Colby's fWAR and bWAR are identical.

Geraldo Parra has 1.5 more wins if you look at bWAR. He's a guy that's not really on my radar, but god damn - his defensive ratings are off the charts.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Obviously he needs to show he can hit first but there is no such thing as too young for DH.

That is actually kind of a deep, fairly accurate statement...because he hasn't played the OF for very long. With his arm, he just has to get ok reads on the ball to be a decent (not great) corner OF - his arm will deliver a good amount of value by keeping people from running.

But since he's only played a couple years out there and been moved around so much beforehand, Given more time and a decent coaching staff, he could very well be expected to improve.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Agreed but if he hits very well and fields like last year, he should shift to DH or at least in part for 2015.

A lot of this depends on the rest of the roster IMO. If he hits like he's capable of, and is a negative OF, he still would only be 25 and have some room to improve...he'd be a really solid corner OF bat, and he could give the White Sox the ability to add a LH hitting bat to either platoon with him or to DH.

If, OTOH, we somehow come up with another CF and we want to move Eaton to a corner position, or we find ourselves having a LH hitting OF bat somewhere, then I wouldn't be mad.

If he hits well enough to play DH, then we have flexibility to keep him as a fielder and expect that his arm offsets some of his weakness if we want to fill the DH slot elsewhere. That would be a solid advantage and a real gain for the offense.

If he doesn't hit, then bah, nothing matters.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Agreed but if he hits very well and fields like last year, he should shift to DH or at least in part for 2015.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

So much potentially coming to a head this season, and so many new, at-a-minimum intriguing players, the anticipation for the season is killing me. April-May alone could tell us a lot about the near future potential, in the majors as well as minors.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
I guess I'm astonished so many people here think they'll be able to get anything for him. Build up De Aza and Vicideo's trade value that's where the Sox will reap the biggest rewards, to hell with Dunn.

It's so frustrating that you're acting like 5 people haven't spent a lot of time writing lengthy posts, directed specifically at you, about what he brings other than potential trade value and you're pretending like nothing has been said.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
It's so frustrating that you're acting like 5 people haven't spent a lot of time writing lengthy posts, directed specifically at you, about what he brings other than potential trade value and you're pretending like nothing has been said.

Why would you want to build Dunn's value at the expense of one of their better trading chips De Aza or Viciedo? Penny wise and pound foolish.

Trading Viciedo doesn't make much sense at this stage. Smart rebuilding franchises usually aren't in the habit of trading hitters like him at such a critical developmental stage when the jury's still out.

He's either a big part of the future for the White Sox or we're going to run his value into the ground completely this year.

At his age, and still with nobody to push him from behind, trading him is the last thing they should be thinking about. They're already looking at replacing Dunn/LH power bat...Ramirez...Beckham...and the catcher's spot, so the franchise would be 10X better off if he progresses as expected in 2014.

DeAza will still get plenty of opportunities to make himself a trade target, both in spring training and in the regular campaign...especially if Dunn/Konerko/Viciedo struggle the first 2-3 months.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)

Where did Rasmus name come from? Is he the only LH outfielder? I never even menioned Rasmus.

As for the pitchers, I'm done talking about them. There's 12 pages worth of reasons NOT to sign either on of them.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
Where did Rasmus name come from? Is he the only LH outfielder? I never even menioned Rasmus.

As for the pitchers, I'm done talking about them. There's 12 pages worth of reasons NOT to sign either on of them.

Name a better LH outfielder? I don't know if there is one but I just can't think of one right now. I'm sure there has to be one though.

Just thought of Cargo. So is there anyone else?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)

Blue Jays gave stupid big contracts to Wells and Rios, so why not another stupid contract for Rasmus.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
Name a better LH outfielder? I don't know if there is one but I just can't think of one right now. I'm sure there has to be one though.

Just thought of Cargo. So is there anyone else?

Haven't looked into it, just an idea. CF is also an option too, just slide Eaton over to LF. Dunn will have to be replaced and its possible Tank could move to DH which opens either CF or LF depending on who Sox would try to get. I'm not against the thought of going after Rasmus, look at Marty's post, he talks like I had already mentioned Rasmus when I had not done so. Talk about coming out of nowhere.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
You belong to that SABR crowd, but you're not one of the militant ones so I'm sure you know any player you sign has the potential to be a bad contract. What made Dunn's contract so awful was the Sox farm system was than only thing worse than it, they were locked into him. With a lot of money to spend and presumably an improving farm system a mid-rotation starter is not even a drop in the bucket.

Not a drop in the bucket, yet it's going to take a very similar commitment overall to bring in Santana or Jimenez as it was to bring in Dunn. He's now untradable and people (like yourself) find him so repulsive that you want him outright released.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
You're one of those SABR people who thinks the game is best played on paper. Get your head out of a book once in a while and watch the game.

This is absolutely uncalled for. Just as a novel can be viewed and interpreted multiple ways, so can baseball.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
You're probably right and they are laughing at me. That doesn't mean the joke isn't on them.

Nope, the joke is on no one. Again, this is absolutely uncalled for.