Sox still trying to trade Dunn?

southsider2k5

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
Viciedo has been batting against righties for the last 2 years. How does getting his ass out of the outfield sound bad?

Because do you really want DeAza or Gillaspie to be our middle of the order LH protection for A. Garcia/Abreu/Konerko/Viciedo?

They would just walk Abreu or pitch very carefully with him.

Dunn still strikes more fear into opposing pitchers than anyone else on our current roster.

And the same issue exists if you bat DeAza 1st and 8th/9th.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
LOL. Casual fans don't buy into rebuilds at all. That's why they are "casual" fans.

That has not been my experience. Casual Sox fans understand the team needs to rebuild, but they don't understand why they are keeping Dunn. The "maybe they can get something for him" argument is met with a rolling off the eyes. In this case I think the casual fan is right.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 11:38 PM)
The "maybe they can get something for him" argument is met with a rolling off the eyes. In this case I think the casual fan is right.

If they don't understand this, then they don't understand how baseball works. Or sports. Or business. I think it's good they're just a casual fan.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Because do you really want DeAza or Gillaspie to be our middle of the order LH protection for A. Garcia/Abreu/Konerko/Viciedo?

They would just walk Abreu or pitch very carefully with him.

Dunn still strikes more fear into opposing pitchers than anyone else on our current roster.

And the same issue exists if you bat DeAza 1st and 8th/9th.

That is going to be the case next year anyway. To me "left-handed power bat to strike fear" is nice to have, but not a requirement of the roster.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
If they don't understand this, then they don't understand how baseball works. Or sports. Or business. I think it's good they're just a casual fan.

Then they should be rolling their eyes about getting anything back anything significant for Beckham, Gillaspie, Flowers, Phegley, DeAza, Keppinger and Konerko as well.

I think it's more a function of the fact that White Sox fans have been very spoiled by having a franchise that very rarely gets stuck with bad contracts. The reality is that most big market teams regularly have one or more players in any given year who makes so much above his actual value that he's impossible to trade.

I also think that Dunn's volume of strikeouts and low batting average obscure the fact that he was 5th on the team in OBP and 2nd on the team in SLG, and there isn't one team in baseball that would pay $14M just to make such a person go away.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 06:50 AM)
I think it's more a function of the fact that White Sox fans have been very spoiled by having a franchise that very rarely gets stuck with bad contracts. The reality is that most big market teams regularly have one or more players in any given year who makes so much above his actual value that he's impossible to trade.

I also think that Dunn's volume of strikeouts and low batting average obscure the fact that he was 5th on the team in OBP and 2nd on the team in SLG, and there isn't one team in baseball that would pay $14M just to make such a person go away.

The Dodgers had 3 in one outfield alone, Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez.

Coming off a 99-loss season it would behoove the Sox to throw their fans a bone. Why keep Dunn?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Coming off a 99-loss season it would behoove the Sox to throw their fans a bone. Why keep Dunn?

No, the White Sox should do what's best for the White Sox. Not to say screw the fans, but they don't know s***.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
You guys are really bothering to engage Marty on this topic? He's decided that Dunn's very presence is more important to the fan base than how good the team is, or anything else for that matter. It is an absurd concept on its face. He's toying with you.

Just like Paulino being in the rotation is good for the team?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
He was 5th on the team in OBP and 2nd on the team in SLG, and there isn't one team in baseball that would pay $14M just to make such a person go away.

Whats he going to do for the team beyond this year?

Whats he going to do for the team beyond this year?

Sorry, my time machine's flux capacitor is broken right now, so I can't say for sure. Most likely he's not here beyond next year, but nothing is set in stone. Maybe Teixeira, Ortiz, Ibanez, or someone else gets hurt midseason and offers the Sox something good for Dunn. Maybe Dunn has a good year and the Sox decide to keep him around. Maybe none of those things happen. But we don't know for sure, which is why there isn't one team in baseball that would pay $14M just to make such a person go away.