Forgotten White Sox Moments

Jose Abreu

Here's one:

Two years ago, Carl Pavano hits Paulie in the face. Despite Herm's protestations, Paulie angrily refuses to leave the game, jogging down to first while pulling away. Next time he comes up to bat, still against Pavano, he goes yard on the FIRST PITCH. Paul Konerko is a f***ing badass

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
Here's one:

Two years ago, Carl Pavano hits Paulie in the face. Despite Herm's protestations, Paulie angrily refuses to leave the game, jogging down to first while pulling away. Next time he comes up to bat, still against Pavano, he goes yard on the FIRST PITCH. Paul Konerko is a f***ing badass

Forgot that. That s*** was great.

Didn't it happen a second time and they made a commercial of it?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
Also you forgot the no hitter

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
Here's one:

Added both

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
The Iguchi play I remember was in the 2005 playoffs.

He homered in game 2 of the ALDS after Graffanino's error, maybe that's what's you're thinking of.

That extremely overrated defensive play of his took place in 06.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
That who stretch to get to the playoffs in 2008 was incredible.

Thomes solo shot to beat the twins 1 0 in the playoff game. Ken freaken Griffey throwing a runner out at the plate. The blackouts.

Don't forget Brian Anderson's game ending diving catch in that one!

Ozuna bunting into a triple play.

Pods fly ball off head.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 12:49 AM)
Added AJ scoring from 1st on a ground ball vs OAK

I remember being at work following along with Gameday and being confused out of my skull about what just happened.

I remember sometime in early September, 2006, Dye colliding hard against the RF wall making a catch and looking like he might be badly injured. He stayed in the game and hit a bomb the next half inning. I was in Cooperstown watching the game at some diner place. Dye was a beast that year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
Forgot that. That s*** was great.

Didn't it happen a second time and they made a commercial of it?

They made a commercial after the first one. A commercial where Paulie is like at the plate and down on himself or something, and then Harold shows him a portable DVD player that is playing a flip of Paulie getting hit in the mouth and then homering, and it gives him the motivation or something.

But yes, it did happen a 2nd time, against the Cubs and Jeff Samardzija I think.

Video of Paulie's HR off Pavano - http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8879206/v1212...r-to-left-field

EDIT: Ok, my facts are all over the place wrong. Samardzija did hit Paulie in the head, but he did not stay in the game. I could have sworn it has happened twice, I would have bet money on it.

And also, I found the commercial you were speaking of. I had the gist of it right, but the people and situation completely wrong. It's actually a runner in the desert who is exhausted and stops running, and it's Paulie who shows him the video of getting hit in the mouth and staying in the game, and it gives the runner motivation to keep going.

Here it is -

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)
Seriously. That play was unbelievable. How did he get the leverage to make a good throw without his feet on the ground?

You guys have much better memories than me. Most of these things I forgot.

Everyone is in love with Jose Iglesias for making the same play, but no one ever pointed out that Iguchi made the exact same play 7 years earlier. Not to say Iguchi's was better, they were equally amazing, but the media seems to think it's something no one has ever done before.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)
Because we forgot a lot of these, so I'm just making a list of everything we can remember.

What's this "we" s***? The only thing that has come up so far that I don't remember vividly is AJ scoring from 1st on a ground ball. Those are the types of things that should be on this sort of list. Even the most casual fans are going to remember that Buehrle threw a perfect game or the Blackout Game. Moments like those are in no way "forgotten White Sox moments".

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
That who stretch to get to the playoffs in 2008 was incredible.

Incredible? It was awful. I kept drinking myself into a stupor every night while they kept losing and losing, that 3-game sweep at Minnesota was brutal. The 3-game winning streak to end the season & game 163 made it better, but I don't remember that week very fondly.

Iguchi hitting a 3-run jack in the 8th and a grand slam in the 9th to tie it.

Second game of a doubleheader on Sept 14, 2008. Sox up 7-0 on the Tigers. Tigers score 2 in the top of the 7th, 5 in the top of the 8th, capped off by a grand slam by Marcus Thames. Bottom of the 8th, Sox load the bases and Dewayne Wise hits a grand slam.

Also, Konerko's homer off Guardado in 2003 to tie it, and then Frank hitting a bomb FOUL and then following it up with a BOMB that stayed fair.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Also, Konerko's homer off Guardado in 2003 to tie it, and then Frank hitting a bomb FOUL and then following it up with a BOMB that stayed fair.

OP said 06' or later son.

And didn't Contreras break the franchise consecutive wins streak or something in 2006?

It was more than a moment but the game in 83 or 84 when it lasted until 1am or 2am and they had to continue it the next day. We skipped school to go to the continuation. Baines hit won it with an HR in about the 24th inning.