2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Since no one asked, my Heisman after today:

1- Prescott

2- Gurley

3- Mariota

4- Golson

5- Cooper

Marshall (AU) has a great chance to get into consideration with a big game next week.

I haven't seen those other guys other than Golson, because I don't follow NCCA football much, but I can't imagine Golson being anywhere NEAR a top 5 in Heisman. I am not a fan of his at all.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
Who do you like? Not going to shoot down your candidates, just genuinely curious.

This would be my mostly realistic list. I realize some guys get better offers/don't come here but it only takes one:

1. Greg Schiano

2. Pat Narduzzi

3. Dino Babers (like him more than a lot of people I realize)

4. Jeremy Pruitt

5. Chad Morris

6. Bud Foster

7. Craig Bohl

8. Pete Lembo

9. Tim Deruyter

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
No kidding. Stanford guy hit Golson right in the head on that forced fumble. Should have been +15 and a first down instead of turning into a Stanford TD.

Get out of here with that, refs miss calls like that all the time. But the replay official flat out cheated Stanford on the game leading FG drive.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 02:36 AM)
start the clock on Golden. Embarrassing to lose to a GT team with the athletes Miami has.

Miami looked to be surprised GT wanted to run the ball. In all honesty, Miami was clueless at how to stop the option.

Get out of here with that, refs miss calls like that all the time. But the replay official flat out cheated Stanford on the game leading FG drive.

Wasn't conclusive. Looked like his hands got under the ball. Don't buy everything the announcers feed you. Was a pretty brutal hit to Golson's head that didn't get called though.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Wasn't conclusive. Looked like his hands got under the ball. Don't buy everything the announcers feed you. Was a pretty brutal hit to Golson's head that didn't get called though.

I don't understand the announcers saying "clearly that ball hit the ground" when it looked more like the ball bounced off his fingers. I don't think the announcers realize that if you lay your hand flat on the ground, the ball can receive the same bouncing motion that you see when the ball hits the ground, because that's exactly what it look like happened. Hardly a conclusive call like they were saying.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Guys it could have been worse for you, you could have been at the game like I was. Good Lord.

Starting all over. Again. So depressing.

Please make a decent hire.

And Krush has finally tapped out and said "enough"

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
Lunt out with fracture in leg. 4-6 weeks

If this somehow saves Beckman's job Thomas need to be fired. I'm fine with Thomas getting one more shot at hiring a football coach given that he made two really good hires at Cincy and pretty much every other coaching decision he has made at Cincy and Illinois at least looks decent but if he doesn't fire Beckman after this year he should be sent packing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
If this somehow saves Beckman's job Thomas need to be fired. I'm fine with Thomas getting one more shot at hiring a football coach given that he made two really good hires at Cincy and pretty much every other coaching decision he has made at Cincy and Illinois at least looks decent but if he doesn't fire Beckman after this year he should be sent packing.

Given what the other "worst" team in the conference did at Memorial Stadium Saturday, I'm not too concerned that. Maybe if it happened earlier in the year.

There's no way Beckman saves his job, he would have to pull off a miracle to do it.

Reports from around the team are saying the team is quitting on Beckman now, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't fired after the Wisconsin game and Cubit is named interim. Then find your next guy and clean house (save Bellamy if you can).

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Miami looked to be surprised GT wanted to run the ball. In all honesty, Miami was clueless at how to stop the option.

Only way Golden lasts to see 2016 is if he fires his best bud who is the DC at the end of this season. This team was built to make a run next season and this season has been a waste so far besides the development of Kaaya.

How come U of I football is so bad year after year? I can see why Kansas would suck. Kansas State is the football school in this backward state.

But U of I? It should dominate and it has sucked for so long. The Illini should be able to get beefy linemen out of the Catholic League and the best athletes out of the rest of the state and put together a dynamic team. No reason for Northwestern to outrecruit U of I.

Why does U of I suck in football? Who will be the next coach to get the program rolling?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
How come U of I football is so bad year after year? I can see why Kansas would suck. Kansas State is the football school in this backward state.

But U of I? It should dominate and it has sucked for so long. The Illini should be able to get beefy linemen out of the Catholic League and the best athletes out of the rest of the state and put together a dynamic team. No reason for Northwestern to outrecruit U of I.

Why does U of I suck in football? Who will be the next coach to get the program rolling?

First of all, I think you are overrating how much football talent there is in Illinois. When it comes to high school, Chicago is a basketball city. The few great football players you have, why would they go to Illinois when the good programs are calling their name.

Illinois has always been a basketball school. Other than one good stretch in the late 80s, it's never been very successful. Can the right coach turn them into a bowl team every year? Sure, but they haven't been able to find that coach yet. Zook showed that you can get talent to Champaign, now they just need a guy to do that and be a good football coach at the same time.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
They may not end up winning the title, but Auburn to me is the best team in the country. No one else is even particularly close IMO.

@ Miss. State

@ Ole Miss

@ Alabama

@ Georgia

Texas A & M

That's a hell of a tough schedule. Although, the new playoff committe has talked about emphasizing strength of schedule. With their OOC road game vs. Kansas State, I wonder if they would get a boost, even with maybe two losses.

@ Miss. State

@ Ole Miss

@ Alabama

@ Georgia

Texas A & M

That's a hell of a tough schedule. Although, the new playoff committe has talked about emphasizing strength of schedule. With their OOC road game vs. Kansas State, I wonder if they would get a boost, even with maybe two losses.

I think that, barring an upset in the SEC Championship game, the top two teams in the SEC West get playoff spots, with one of those two potentially having two losses. I think the FSU-ND winner gets one, and the last one is up for grabs among the Big 12, Big 10 and Pac-12 champions.

Mississippi St. and Ole Miss are both still 33/1 to win the National Championship. Both seem worth a shot to me.

If I had to guess the final SEC West standings, I would say:

Mississippi 7-1

Alabama 7-1

Auburn 6-2

Mississippi St. 5-3

Texas A&M 5-3

So yeah, I might consider a few bucks on Mississippi at 33/1.