2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
I honestly don't care for these stupid message board games of bringing up every other example of other cases and grading the outrage, but at least in that case:

MSU was better at lying

He was taken off the field after that play and was administered a concussion test

They are incompetent and/or lied about that test and put him back in

Michigan:

-Did not take him off the field

- Took him off the field and then examined his ankle

- Sent him back out onto the field

- Have confirmed he had a concussion

Michigan doesn't have the cover of their staff performing their job correctly and possibly lying, they have their staff having perfomed incorrectly and confirming that the kid was put out with a concussion.

It's not the same.

Gary Pinkel also put out a player in 2004 bowl game and he finished the game. Nobody cared then. We know more now, people need to be held accountable for players health. There can't always just be "systemic breakdown...nobodies fault".

Mostly Hoke is losing and people already want him gone. The answers from their press conference are pretty much the same as MSU's was. Gholston was only taken out because its policy for players to come off the field if they have to stop the game for an injury.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl.../100212aab.html

The confirmation of a concussion right now is actually debatable as well. Just saying the outrage for the firing of both the coach and the AD are directly related to their success on the field. It was clearly handled poorly at the same and since then, but it's pretty clear why the torches are burning so bright.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
ND is a pretty young team. Only 2 offensive starters + 1 defensive starter + kicker/punter are in their last year of eligibility. Even though FSU is overrated and vulnerable, beating them is a tall order for ND. Winning 2 of 3 against Stanford/Arizona St/USC and finishing 10-2 would be nice.

Should be preseason Top 5 next year.

I think FSU getting scares by Clemson and NC State was bad for Notre Dame. Now there's no way FSU looks past them towards Miami and Florida (their historic rivals).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Mostly Hoke is losing and people already want him gone. The answers from their press conference are pretty much the same as MSU's was. Gholston was only taken out because its policy for players to come off the field if they have to stop the game for an injury.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl.../100212aab.html

The confirmation of a concussion right now is actually debatable as well. Just saying the outrage for the firing of both the coach and the AD are directly related to their success on the field. It was clearly handled poorly at the same and since then, but it's pretty clear why the torches are burning so bright.

I'm not saying the action on its own gets him fired (although it is clearly a major negative, imo), but when you combine his performance on the field with these type of actions and if I am Michigan, I am firing him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm not saying the action on its own gets him fired (although it is clearly a major negative, imo), but when you combine his performance on the field with these type of actions and if I am Michigan, I am firing him.

His disciplinary actions with players who have gotten in trouble adds to the fire and the losing record definitely have amped up the fans. I still am not 100% certain that Morris going back in the game was his fault. The fact the guy doesnt communicate with coaches in the booth and all over his sideline during the game is baffling.

Edited by RockRaines

OK, got some new info on the five ND suspended players. Players (plus several of the non-player students who are a part of the investigation) are claiming that the "rogue" tutor in question was only editing papers and not actually writing papers for them. Have no idea if this is just an argument over semantics or a desperate attempt to stay in school, but supposedly at his disciplinary hearing Russell presented a Word file of his draft dated before the date he first met with the tutor and he thinks that is going to clear him.

There are going to be a lot of very pissed fans if most or all of these guys end up being cleared of wrongdoing after missing 5 games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 04:02 AM)
The Arizona/Oregon game over/under opened around 70, it got all the way up to 84 this morning, and ended up around 81.5. It's a 7-3 halftime score.

Oregon has looked very bad over the course of their last two games.

And down goes Oregon.

Tied late 4th, Arizona gets stopped on 3rd down to force a FG try...but on the way off the field on that stop, Oregon gets an excessive celebration penalty. Touchdown Arizona after that.

Oregon gets ball back with under 3 minutes left, Mariota is tackled and stripped of the ball in their own territory. Arizona gets a first down, game over.

And down goes Oregon.

Tied late 4th, Arizona gets stopped on 3rd down to force a FG try...but on the way off the field on that stop, Oregon gets an excessive celebration penalty. Touchdown Arizona after that.

Oregon gets ball back with under 3 minutes left, Mariota is tackled and stripped of the ball in their own territory. Arizona gets a first down, game over.

So maybe there is a downside to having your uniforms stand out so much.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
The Arizona/Oregon game over/under opened around 70, it got all the way up to 84 this morning, and ended up around 81.5. It's a 7-3 halftime score.

Yeah that was shocking to me. I hammered home the under 83.5 I caught mid afternoon so that was easy :lol:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
It doesn't matter how good your QB is if your offensive line is garbage.

Sucks for Michigan State, their "marquee" non-conference loss is suddenly not looking as tough.

Kinda.

And the week keeps getting worse for michigan

I would be hardpressed to believe that losing an away game to Oregon, who will very likely still be a top ten team is going to hurt Michigan State very much. Especially considering Oregon does this every year.

College football is so weird this year. Reminds me of 07. Not sure if chaos is better for the playoff or worse as the gap between 1-4 and 5-8 is going to be pretty small.

I would be hardpressed to believe that losing an away game to Oregon, who will very likely still be a top ten team is going to hurt Michigan State very much. Especially considering Oregon does this every year.

College football is so weird this year. Reminds me of 07. Not sure if chaos is better for the playoff or worse as the gap between 1-4 and 5-8 is going to be pretty small.

Oregon losing isn't going to affect MSU. MSU is already going to be behind two SEC teams and 1-loss champions of the PAC12, Big12 and ACC, so MSU needs at least two of those three conference champions to have two losses plus ND have at least one loss.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)

Its good for us because it already helps the case of expanding the playoff to 8 teams.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Oregon losing isn't going to affect MSU. MSU is already going to be behind two SEC teams and 1-loss champions of the PAC12, Big12 and ACC, so MSU needs at least two of those three conference champions to have two losses plus ND have at least one loss.

I think Oklahoma may well end up undefeated. I hate Bob Stoops. I hope he loses twice and complains about how tough the big 12 competition is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)

Given what happened last night and earlier in Pullman, I don't think that's very likely at all, that O-line will probably cost them another game at least.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)

Had Oregon finished undefeated, the committee would look differently at MSU's potential 12-1 record then it would if Oregon has 2-3 losses, including a bad home loss. I'm not saying MSU would have been in the final 4, but it would have helped them get in the discussion.

Either way, it is fun about how we make assumptions about 1-loss conference champions and what not, given how many crazy outcomes always happen in CFB in October and November.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
And down goes Oregon.

Arizona is improving (although they haven't played anybody and have had a lot of games go down to the wire). Ole Rich Rod doing good things there and it looks like they have a QB that is going to be pretty good. They looked like the faster team, which you never say when you watch someone play Oregon. Oregon's oline was awful but Mariotta as a #1 pick, he better go to a team with an excellent QB coach because he is an extremely streaky passer and it was evident. Despite the pressure, he missed a lot of guys down the field. You can see that he has a lot of great tools but in the NFL the margin of error and need for accuracy goes up significantly. Also, in Oregon's system, there isn't a lot of reading you have to do as a lot of it is all about getting guys in space and hitting guys when they are in space, and ultimately it doesn't work quite that way in the NFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
Arizona is improving (although they haven't played anybody and have had a lot of games go down to the wire). Ole Rich Rod doing good things there and it looks like they have a QB that is going to be pretty good. They looked like the faster team, which you never say when you watch someone play Oregon. Oregon's oline was awful but Mariotta as a #1 pick, he better go to a team with an excellent QB coach because he is an extremely streaky passer and it was evident. Despite the pressure, he missed a lot of guys down the field. You can see that he has a lot of great tools but in the NFL the margin of error and need for accuracy goes up significantly. Also, in Oregon's system, there isn't a lot of reading you have to do as a lot of it is all about getting guys in space and hitting guys when they are in space, and ultimately it doesn't work quite that way in the NFL.

Oregon is missing their top 4 tackles on OL. That hurts any team.