2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Louisville has a chance to go to the Orange Bowl, but only if FSU beats Georgia Tech. I've had at least two friends who are Louisville fans tell me that they don't like having to root for a team with somebody as slimy as Winston. Yes, these are fans of Louisville, whose coach is Bobby Petrino.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
So Louisville has a chance to go to the Orange Bowl, but only if FSU beats Georgia Tech. I've had at least two friends who are Louisville fans tell me that they don't like having to root for a team with somebody as slimy as Winston. Yes, these are fans of Louisville, whose coach is Bobby Petrino.

GT is in the Orange Bowl even if they lose to FSU, as they'll still be the highest ranked ACC team besides FSU

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
GT = 16, Lou = 22, it's not impossible for GT to fall behind Lou with a loss, especially if it ends up not being close.

Those rankings are before the GT win at #9 UGA. I haven't read one projection today that hasn't said GT to Orange Bowl is a virtual lock. If GT loses to FSU, they'll have the same record as Louisville with much better victories (at UGA, Clemson), higher SOS and Louisville has no top 25 wins. It's hard to see any scenario in which Louisville ends up higher ranked than GT.

Also, sure seems like Clemson would be picked over Louisville

Edited by fathom

Those rankings are before the GT win at #9 UGA. I haven't read one projection today that hasn't said GT to Orange Bowl is a virtual lock. If GT loses to FSU, they'll have the same record as Louisville with much better victories (at UGA, Clemson), higher SOS and Louisville has no top 25 wins. It's hard to see any scenario in which Louisville ends up higher ranked than GT.

Also, sure seems like Clemson would be picked over Louisville

There is no pick involved, Orange Bowl is obligated to take the highest ranked team. I agree that it's a longshot, but there is at least some chance it happens. In any case, the point was about Louisville fans not wanting to root for FSU because of Winston's character issues. I was so stunned when people said that I couldn't even respond.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
There is no pick involved, Orange Bowl is obligated to take the highest ranked team. I agree that it's a longshot, but there is at least some chance it happens. In any case, the point was about Louisville fans not wanting to root for FSU because of Winston's character issues. I was so stunned when people said that I couldn't even respond.

I know there is no pick, as it's all based on ranking. As of today, Clemson is one spot ahead of Louisville. I can't see the committee putting Lville in front of Clemson after this coming week.

As a lifelong Husker fan I agree with the decision to fire Pelini. Nebraska may have won 9 games every year under him but they we were beating nobody good. Our best win this year was against 7-5 Iowa. Bo Pelini at Nebraska is 5-18 against teams that finished in the Top 25. 0-10 against teams that finished in the Top 10. In 7 years he had 0 conference championships, 0 BCS games. The last 2 years NU finished 5th in the Big Ten and 3rd in their division. The last 2 years NU played 4 teams that finished in the Top 25 and lost them all. Not to mention the blowout losses to teams with lesser talent (408 yards to Melvin Gordon really!). Nebraska is a blue blood program and can do better. To those who say who can they get better? I don't know until we try, all I know is Pelini wasn't going to lead NU to anything worth a damn. Oklahoma sucked after Switzer and fired 2 coaches before they got Stoops. Bama had multiple coaches between Gene Stallings and Saban. In college football it is all about your head coach, if Nebraska gets a good one we will be back to being good quickly. The Big Ten West isn't very good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:10 AM)
There's not enough talk in this thread about how awful the SEC East is.

Ha, it really is.

That being said, it won't be for long. Florida is a sleeping giant. Hire a good coach and they will win 10 games a year at minimum. If Georgia can find a QB, they'll be a ton better. Tennessee will be back. We're recruiting way too well and the whole 2-deep is basically underclassmen right now. And of course Missouri is always incredibly solid under Pinkel. He develops players so well, especially on that D-line. Kentucky will never be great, but Stoops seems to have them heading in the right direction. They're recruiting well and could get to 7-8 win seasons like they were at the end of the Rich Brooks era. Only SC and Vandy are trending down right now.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
As a lifelong Husker fan I agree with the decision to fire Pelini. Nebraska may have won 9 games every year under him but they we were beating nobody good. Our best win this year was against 7-5 Iowa. Bo Pelini at Nebraska is 5-18 against teams that finished in the Top 25. 0-10 against teams that finished in the Top 10. In 7 years he had 0 conference championships, 0 BCS games. The last 2 years NU finished 5th in the Big Ten and 3rd in their division. The last 2 years NU played 4 teams that finished in the Top 25 and lost them all. Not to mention the blowout losses to teams with lesser talent (408 yards to Melvin Gordon really!). Nebraska is a blue blood program and can do better. To those who say who can they get better? I don't know until we try, all I know is Pelini wasn't going to lead NU to anything worth a damn. Oklahoma sucked after Switzer and fired 2 coaches before they got Stoops. Bama had multiple coaches between Gene Stallings and Saban. In college football it is all about your head coach, if Nebraska gets a good one we will be back to being good quickly. The Big Ten West isn't very good.

I agree with the first half of the post, but you start losing me by saying Wisconsin has less talent. The problem for Nebraska is they don't have that much talent. That's a big reason why they are losing to good teams.

Nebraska was a blue blood program, but in modern college football where every team is on TV and every program gets plenty of exposure, recruiting to Lincoln isn't as easy as it used to be. The bottom line is recruiting at a high level without a dense local area to pull from is tough. Oklahoma is similar to Nebraska except the proximity to Texas recruiting is a huge difference. Being in the Big Ten probably hurts Nebraska's recruiting as well.

I think you can argue for Pelini being fired, and you brought up some of those points. I just don't buy the elite program deserves better part. Pelini's overall record should be perfectly acceptable. I will say that the lack of apparent upside is the problem. If he had some 7 or 8 win seasons mixed in with some 10 or 11 win seasons fans wouldn't be so upset. The 3+ losses every year and lack of a great, memorable season is why he is fired.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
I agree with the first half of the post, but you start losing me by saying Wisconsin has less talent. The problem for Nebraska is they don't have that much talent. That's a big reason why they are losing to good teams.

Nebraska was a blue blood program, but in modern college football where every team is on TV and every program gets plenty of exposure, recruiting to Lincoln isn't as easy as it used to be. The bottom line is recruiting at a high level without a dense local area to pull from is tough. Oklahoma is similar to Nebraska except the proximity to Texas recruiting is a huge difference. Being in the Big Ten probably hurts Nebraska's recruiting as well.

I think you can argue for Pelini being fired, and you brought up some of those points. I just don't buy the elite program deserves better part. Pelini's overall record should be perfectly acceptable. I will say that the lack of apparent upside is the problem. If he had some 7 or 8 win seasons mixed in with some 10 or 11 win seasons fans wouldn't be so upset. The 3+ losses every year and lack of a great, memorable season is why he is fired.

According to every recruiting site Nebraska has signed more talent than Wisconsin since 2009, so yes Nebraska has more talent than Wisconisn. Rivals has NU's worst class in the last 5 years as still better than Wisconsin's best class. Is Wisconsin coached better, yes. Has Wisconsin developed talent better than Nebraska, yes. Wisconsin ran 4 basic plays against NU. We stayed in 2 high safeties all day. No adjustments. I also was not calling Melvin Gordon not talented, dude is legit awesome. We also lost to Minnesota 2 years in a row. Minnesota does not have better talent than Nebraska.

I didn't say Nebraska deserved better, I said they can do better. Whether they deserve better or not is someone's opinion. From 1962-2001 Nebraska was 398-78-5 with 5 National Championships. Since then 110-59 with nary a Confernce title. Frank Solich was fired and has been at Ohio since. Bill Callahan was fired and is the Dallas Cowboys OC. We will see where Pelini ends up. Get the right coach and it can be done.

Recruiting at a high level to Nebraska can be done, Bill Callahan proved that. He just wasn't a good head coach. His 2008 class was shaping up to be another top 10 class at NU. 3 OL decommited after he was fired that are in the NFL now Riley Reiff, Dan Hoch, and Trevor Robinson . Same with Jonas Gray, and Blaine Gabbert both in NFL both decommited. Recruiting to Nebraska at a high level can be done. Bo Pelini and Frank Solich were just not good recruiters.

I agree with you as to that is why he was fired, well at least part of it. Some of Pelini's off the field stuff and on field conduct I'm sure were also factored into the decision.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
@sryantribune: A statement from Mike Thomas expected today on status of coach Beckman. Signs indicate he's staying.

My condolences, Illini fans

#WINT

LOL, as he should for at least one more year. He won't be able to back his way into 6 wins in 2015 though. NU comes to Champaign, but their next four "easiest" conference games are all on the road, as is the one BCS non-conference opponent. There will need to be improvement to go bowling next year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
LOL, as he should for at least one more year. He won't be able to back his way into 6 wins in 2015 though. NU comes to Champaign, but their next four "easiest" conference games are all on the road, as is the one BCS non-conference opponent. There will need to be improvement to go bowling next year.

It would take some balls but the best thing for this program would still be to fire Beckman and move on. Everyone knows he's still a dead man walking. Right now we're just delaying the inevitable. I made this same post last season but it still applies.