2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Aaron Donald ran a 4.68 with a 10 yard split that was just .03 slower than Clowneys. Dude backed up what you see in his ridiculous highlight videos....If the Bears don't bring back Melton, and Donald is there, that's my pick.

I think you're spot on. We know Emery's track record (albeit fairly limited) of highly valuing 2 things: Senior Bowl performance and very good workout numbers. Donald managed to have both (plus great on-field production).

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Aaron Donald ran a 4.68 with a 10 yard split that was just .03 slower than Clowneys. Dude backed up what you see in his ridiculous highlight videos....If the Bears don't bring back Melton, and Donald is there, that's my pick.

Kareem Martins 10 yard split was .03 quicker than Clowneys....If he makes it tho the Bears in the 2nd I'd bust a nut with a Donald/Martin draft.

for D lineman I put a lot more stock into the 10 yard split and the cone/agility drills. DE's arent going to be running 40 yard unimpeded sprints very often.

I also think people are making too big of a deal about Manziel "only" running a 4.6. His game is based more on elite quickness than pure speed. How many big plays did he make by running 40 yards in a straight line? He's all about elusiveness. A 4.6 40 combined with his elite athleticism makes him a dangerous QB.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
for D lineman I put a lot more stock into the 10 yard split and the cone/agility drills. DE's arent going to be running 40 yard unimpeded sprints very often.

As do I, which is why Donald running a 10 yard split .03 slower and Martin running it .03 faster than Clowneys time is both really impressive.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I don't think anybody said he's not trying, but doing what he can to not overexert himself when he's getting double teamed when the guys going up against him bigger than him (up to 40-50 pounds more) is not the worst thing in the world. The DT on his line got 10 sacks and the other DE was up there too with like 8-10 (or so I thought I remembered seeing).

A guy with Clowney's talent, no I have no problem with his "lack of motor."

Hey if thats what you think proves he will be a success, thats you. To me, I'd rather have a JJ Watt type player who has a motor and skills at the same time. He was double teamed his entire last season at Wisconsin, and even with a double team he produced more solo tackles and TFL not to mention sacks. I believe in those players more than non-effort guys, even if he was packing it in for an NFL contract (which is also a red flag to me).

I think Clowney will be dominant, but I do think questions about his motor are warranted. But in any questions about his production, it should be noted how much offenses adjusted to avoid his side of the ball. They ran away from him, they rolled out away from him on passes.

On the other hand, Mizzou had Britt our OT (maybe a 7th rounder, but he only benched 22 reps) go up against him solo and he really didn't do much that game. Their D as a whole was stout but he didn't and should have that game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
I believe in those players more than non-effort guys, even if he was packing it in for an NFL contract (which is also a red flag to me).

Him being on the same team with Marcus Lattimore may have affected his psychology a little.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
As do I, which is why Donald running a 10 yard split .03 slower and Martin running it .03 faster than Clowneys time is both really impressive.

For all intents and purposes, a 10 yard spit of 1.56 is the same thing as on that is 1.59. That's a really good thing for Donald.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Bonus points for not saying 'intensive'.

Points taken away for calling it a 10 yard "spit", so I can't win.

(I am aware it is split, it's just a typo that is really funny if you try to visualize it)

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
I think Clowney will be dominant, but I do think questions about his motor are warranted. But in any questions about his production, it should be noted how much offenses adjusted to avoid his side of the ball. They ran away from him, they rolled out away from him on passes.

On the other hand, Mizzou had Britt our OT (maybe a 7th rounder, but he only benched 22 reps) go up against him solo and he really didn't do much that game. Their D as a whole was stout but he didn't and should have that game.

Every team gameplans against the defensive stars on the other side of the ball. It's not like he was any different than other top notch DE's when it comes to planning. If I am a bad team I want to draft a player that I KNOW will be an effort/leader guy on defense IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
Hey if thats what you think proves he will be a success, thats you. To me, I'd rather have a JJ Watt type player who has a motor and skills at the same time. He was double teamed his entire last season at Wisconsin, and even with a double team he produced more solo tackles and TFL not to mention sacks. I believe in those players more than non-effort guys, even if he was packing it in for an NFL contract (which is also a red flag to me).

Well you can make an argument that JJ is one of the top 3 or 4 players in football, so ya.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
And he ran a 4.84 40 at the combine

He's also a much different type of player too, using strength and body size to get penetration. And even still, a 4.84 for a guy that size is still incredibly impressive.

It's possible that Clowney isn't the freak we all once thought of him as, but he's still an incredible talent and I'd still take him top 5.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
Every team gameplans against the defensive stars on the other side of the ball. It's not like he was any different than other top notch DE's when it comes to planning. If I am a bad team I want to draft a player that I KNOW will be an effort/leader guy on defense IMO.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you. I knew the Sheldon Richardson would be a great NFL player specifically because the guy was not only disruptive, but he was making tackles 30-40 yards down the field. I honestly don't think he was ever out of the frame when a tackle was made. His motor was crazy.

But I remember the Scar preview piece on rockmnation broke down how often a play went to Clowney's side, and it was crazy. Runs always went to the right. Teams were always rolling out right. I think his speed and hit power are plus plus tools. I think he tracks the ball well. I really can't see him busting or not being a starter, he just might not be a star.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
He's also a much different type of player too, using strength and body size to get penetration. And even still, a 4.84 for a guy that size is still incredibly impressive.

It's possible that Clowney isn't the freak we all once thought of him as, but he's still an incredible talent and I'd still take him top 5.

Watt is a different player because of his motor and toughness, I would bet on that a lot more often than a guy who dogged his last year in college because he didnt want to get hurt (allegedly). Clowney's ceiling to me is Dwight Freeney, but Freeney actually produced like a mad man as a senior (17.5 sacks) before he was drafted even facing double and triple teams all season long.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
I'd love to see a d-line with Clowney and Watt

Clowney would play OLB in Houston. No doubt in my mind now though that Mack is the #1 defensive player in this draft. There was talk early on of the hometown kid staying home. That's not going to happen anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Clowney would play OLB in Houston. No doubt in my mind now though that Mack is the #1 defensive player in this draft. There was talk early on of the hometown kid staying home. That's not going to happen anymore.

Mack was DOMINANT against my boys early in the season. Picked off a ball and outran the fastest player on Ohio State. Great athlete.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
I really like Dennard. Very physical and knows how to disrupt a WR. Will be a good one.

I do too. If we could resign Melton and Ratliff (or find another DE to go with one of them), I'd be okay drafting Dennard. I think he's going to be a real good corner.