2014-2015 NFL Football thread

Young graded out very well on PFF, especially considering he didn't quite get full-time reps. They didn't like him in 2012 when he was playing less than half time, and they loved him in 2011 where he was one of the best-rated DE in the league despite limited reps.

Of more interest...

Stop % (how many tackles made for no gain or loss/run plays) among DEs:

1. Houston

2. Young

Bear in mind that most of the snaps Young sits out are anticipated run plays, but then again he missed less than 20% of snaps which isn't uncommon for DL

Edited by Jake

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Young graded out very well on PFF, especially considering he didn't quite get full-time reps. They didn't like him in 2012 when he was playing less than half time, and they loved him in 2011 where he was one of the best-rated DE in the league despite limited reps.

Of more interest...

Stop % (how many tackles made for no gain or loss/run plays) among DEs:

1. Houston

2. Young

In the whole league or among FAs?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
Fantastic.

Phil's not messing around in trying to fix that putrid run defense.

Looks like he's striving for some balance, avoiding guys with iffy track records or one dimensional play

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Like Jake says, PFF likes Young a lot. I like that we're not going after guys with sexy sacks numbers, but advanced metrics instead.

Yup, makes sense coming from a guy who brought up PFF and STATS inc in his opening presser.

Might be worth noting that Austen Lane, who played for Mel in Jacksonville, said Mel likes to bring pressure from the LBs. So while these 2 aren't "sexy" pass rushers we could see more pressure coming from the LBs. Couple that with a penetrating 3-tech and the Bears should be fine as far as a pass rush goes. All while being a lot better at stopping the run.

Again, really like the direction they're heading...At least on paper anyway.

Like Jake says, PFF likes Young a lot. I like that we're not going after guys with sexy sacks numbers, but advanced metrics instead.

I think it's tougher to measure based on some of the metrics in football because of how much everything depends on your teammates. Julian Edelman was considered to be one of the best receivers in the league last year, but does anyone believe that, or do they chalk it up to scheme and Tom Brady? The all familiar Chris Williams was considered one of the worst guards in the league last year, but when your QB is Kellen Clemens, do you think teams are dropping 7 back on a regular basis against the Rams? No way. It's possible he's talented enough but with nothing around him, he's going to be giving up more sacks and allowing more guys by.

Same thing here...Young is working along side Suh, Fairley, and Ansah. He may be a nice player, but I'm guessing those numbers are flawed a little bit because of who is playing around him.

I'm not sold on advanced metrics in the NFL right now. Didn't they rate J'Marcus Webb a little higher than Bushrod in 2012?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
I think it's tougher to measure based on some of the metrics in football because of how much everything depends on your teammates. Julian Edelman was considered to be one of the best receivers in the league last year, but does anyone believe that, or do they chalk it up to scheme and Tom Brady? The all familiar Chris Williams was considered one of the worst guards in the league last year, but when your QB is Kellen Clemens, do you think teams are dropping 7 back on a regular basis against the Rams? No way. It's possible he's talented enough but with nothing around him, he's going to be giving up more sacks and allowing more guys by.

Same thing here...Young is working along side Suh, Fairley, and Ansah. He may be a nice player, but I'm guessing those numbers are flawed a little bit because of who is playing around him.

He also rated really well in 2011 in limited reps. He's definitely an up and coming player who has the potential to be a great pass rusher.

And yeah, football is always going to be a very team-dependent sport.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
He also rated really well in 2011 in limited reps. He's definitely an up and coming player who has the potential to be a great pass rusher.

And don't get me wrong, it's a nice, team friendly deal, just that there's always other extraneous information to consider.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I'm not sold on advanced metrics in the NFL right now. Didn't they rate J'Marcus Webb a little higher than Bushrod in 2012?

Yes, mainly because he objectively gave up less pressure

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Yes, mainly because he objectively gave up less pressure

But how much of that is because the Saints were a pass first team with 2 pass catching running backs, while the Bears did either with a very good running back?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
But how much of that is because the Saints were a pass first team with 2 pass catching running backs, while the Bears did either with a very good running back?

I think a much bigger part of it is that the Bears constantly put Webb on an island on his own whereas the Saints constantly give their guys help.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)

Great pass rusher?

He's a nice role player, but if he is your starter, you are probably trying to replace him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
I think there's a bit of "Bears hate" in this comment. He'll be at the very least an above average DE.

Not so sure. He had lots of favorable match-ups with Suh and Fairley creating havoc inside

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Well either way, that's a fine contract that we won't need to worry about.

Yup, and with "Mega squads" in Denver and Seatlle this year probably won't go the Bears way anyway.

Next year though, even if the give Marshall a ~10M a year deal they'll still have 45M to spend(as of now, including the signings this year). So when you start to think about 2015 things look even brighter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I think there's a bit of "Bears hate" in this comment. He'll be at the very least an above average DE.

I tend to agree with GoSox. I like the Young signing, but the odds of him becoming a high-level starter aren't good. I think he provides good depth. He could be a decent starter. But he's definitely a guy that's just holding down a spot until Emery can find a better DE.

Either way, like y'all have said, it's a reasonable deal and with only $3M guaranteed, there's not a whole lot of risk.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I tend to agree with GoSox. I like the Young signing, but the odds of him becoming a high-level starter aren't good. I think he provides good depth. He could be a decent starter. But he's definitely a guy that's just holding down a spot until Emery can find a better DE.

But he is immediately better than what they HAD, so it is an upgrade. All they needed was 'average' last year and they were in the playoffs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
Yup, and with "Mega squads" in Denver and Seatlle this year probably won't go the Bears way anyway.

Next year though, even if the give Marshall a ~10M a year deal they'll still have 45M to spend(as of now, including the signings this year). So when you start to think about 2015 things look even brighter.

Mega squad?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)

Not at all Bears hate. I just think people are getting carried away. He is not going to be a great pass rusher or above average. I do think it's a nice cheap signing for a solid player. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Bears drafted a DE pretty early in the draft, maybe even first round. Someone like Kony Ealy.

If I have any hate it's towards on crazy free agency has become. Every time a team signs a player it becomes a huge deal and the player is going to be great. Most free agent signings end up not working out. Player is either past his prime or under preforms. A lot of these players end up only spending one year with a team and then get cut.

One thing about it, is I don't think every player on the bears line was as bad as they played last year. I think they played much worse because they did not have enough players to rotate and specialize. Corey Wootton should not start at defensive tackle for the whole game.

And he's a good example, I think he will be much more productive going back to a fresh rotating DE.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
One thing about it, is I don't think every player on the bears line was as bad as they played last year. I think they played much worse because they did not have enough players to rotate and specialize. Corey Wootton should not start at defensive tackle for the whole game.

And he's a good example, I think he will be much more productive going back to a fresh rotating DE.

Injuries just murdered the defense last year. It is hard to say any one player was responsible for last year. I think with a bit more health out of the big named guys, a lot of the guys who had no business playing every down aren't put in the positions they were put into. That cascaded through the secondary because all of the guys up front were hurt.