2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
I get that is a worthy consideration, but really their goal ought to be to win the super bowl every year right now and worry about the cap ramifications in 2 years when it becomes a huge problem and forces their teams dismantling.

That's pretty much going to happen to some degree. Win the trophy again while you can.

It isn't two years off though, Sherman is due at the end of next year. I think Irvin and then Wilson are coming up soon after. After just re-upping with Bennett, Allen had to be a luxury if he wasn't willing to take less than what the Bears offered

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
I get that is a worthy consideration, but really their goal ought to be to win the super bowl every year right now and worry about the cap ramifications in 2 years when it becomes a huge problem and forces their teams dismantling.

That's pretty much going to happen to some degree. Win the trophy again while you can.

Allen was going to be a luxury for the Seahawks. They probably had a certain price in mind and weren't willing to go over that. Having Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas for 5 plus years is way more important than having Allen.

John Schneider will probably find a good pass rusher in the draft anyway.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
It isn't two years off though, Sherman is due at the end of next year. I think Irvin and then Wilson are coming up soon after. After just re-upping with Bennett, Allen had to be a luxury if he wasn't willing to take less than what the Bears offered

And if I had to guess...it's simply going to be impossible to keep all of them. So win the title again this year and then do the best you can.

Love this signing. I know Allen is past his prime, but I think he has some good football ahead of him. Several of you have pointed this out, but I agree that in a deeper rotation than the Vikings had, Allen will produce pretty well. I really like the depth we're adding on the DL.

Also, it doesn't take away from the need at the 3-tech, so Donald/Jernigan are still very much in the mix. But it does improve the total DL depth to a point that I don't think they need to feel forced into taking a DT in Round 1. Hopefully we truly go Best Player Available (except QB or RB).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
And if I had to guess...it's simply going to be impossible to keep all of them. So win the title again this year and then do the best you can.

And Allen doesn't change what they are trying to do. They did it without him already, he was a great luxury for them, and a huge need for the Bears

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Love this signing. I know Allen is past his prime, but I think he has some good football ahead of him. Several of you have pointed this out, but I agree that in a deeper rotation than the Vikings had, Allen will produce pretty well. I really like the depth we're adding on the DL.

Also, it doesn't take away from the need at the 3-tech, so Donald/Jernigan are still very much in the mix. But it does improve the total DL depth to a point that I don't think they need to feel forced into taking a DT in Round 1. Hopefully we truly go Best Player Available (except QB or RB).

Best defensive player available. Still have to.

Right now I'm thinking Donald or Haha. If theyre both gone I'd try to trade down. I like Pryor as a box safety, but I also think Mundy can be that guy and if you take Pryor they'll still need a FS who's good in coverage.

If Haha/Donald are gone I'd love to see them trade all the way down to 30 with SF and pick up another 2R pick. I'd then go with something like....

1R(30)- Jernigan/Hageman/Tuitt/Nix- The last few mocks I've seen have Jernigan going late 1st early 2nd. Nix/Hageman are probably gone but there's a chance they're there. Tuitt would be my last choice but still one that could look real good at DT. With the thought that Houston will line up inside on passing downs I'm ok with them taking a run stuffer like Jernigan/Nix.

2R(51)- Terrance Brooks/Lamarcus Joyner/Keith McGill- Bucannon could be thrown in there as well but he's more of a box guy, though he did have 6 picks last year. Brooks would be my pick if he's there, he has a CB background so he should be solid in coverage. Joyner could be a good pick but at 5'8" size is a concern. McGill is listed as a CB but he does have a safety background, if he's willing to convert back to safety he could be a good pick.

MGoing out on a limb here...

2R(56 or 61)- Austin Serefain-Jenkins- Yes, that's right, I went TE. We heard a lot about 2 TEs sets and the Ace package last offseason, so I don't think it's that far fetched. Jenkins is said to be a pretty good blocker along with being a good receiver, so he could be used more as an in line TE, hopefully eliminating the need to throw a swing tackle out there while also giving them another huge offensive weapon to work with. The Iowa TE in the 3rd might be a better option with more depth on D needed here.

3R- Pierre Desir- Tillmans understudy and next years starting CB

4R- Best RB/QB

5R- Best RB/QB

6R- Best OL/DL

6R- Best OL/DL

------

If Haha is there at 14 though, he's my pick.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
Best defensive player available. Still have to.

Agreed, for the most part. If somehow, say, Greg Robinson fell to #14 (there is zero reason he would), then the Bears would have to take him. You can't pass that up. Same probably goes for Sammy Watkins. Neither of those things will happen because they just won't. But it's the reason I didn't say OL or WR. I included QB and RB as absolute no-go's because I there isn't a single QB or RB I'd take in Round 1 over a defensive player. You can add TE to my list too.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Agreed, for the most part. If somehow, say, Greg Robinson fell to #14 (there is zero reason he would), then the Bears would have to take him. You can't pass that up. Same probably goes for Sammy Watkins. Neither of those things will happen because they just won't. But it's the reason I didn't say OL or WR. I included QB and RB as absolute no-go's because I there isn't a single QB or RB I'd take in Round 1 over a defensive player. You can add TE to my list too.

Ebron would be a whole lotta fun if Trestman wants to use a lot of 2 TE packages....But ya, I'd still take Donald/HaHa and maybe Watkins/Robinson over him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
I would to see the Packers trade up and get Mack.

They would probably only have to trade away about 15 picks.

Hahaha. I watched some film of Mack and said "Sweet, this is the one defender I could really get behind for the Bills, and he's a hometown kid to boot!"

Yeah, too bad he's probably going like 6 picks ahead of them.

Sammy Watkins is an absolute stud and the clear #1 receiver in this draft, and the Rams could really, really use, but there's no way they can stay at 2, is there? You are going to have 4 out of Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson, and Bortles will be available. Some team is going to give them two 1st rounders plus a 2nd, right?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Ebron would be a whole lotta fun if Trestman wants to use a lot of 2 TE packages....But ya, I'd still take Donald/HaHa and maybe Watkins/Robinson over him.

I would like to add a 2nd TE, though, for sure. Like you mentioned earlier taking ASJ in the 2nd round, I would be okay with the Bears taking a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Fiedorowicz from Iowa too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
Hahaha. I watched some film of Mack and said "Sweet, this is the one defender I could really get behind for the Bills, and he's a hometown kid to boot!"

Yeah, too bad he's probably going like 6 picks ahead of them.

Sammy Watkins is an absolute stud and the clear #1 receiver in this draft, and the Rams could really, really use, but there's no way they can stay at 2, is there? You are going to have 4 out of Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson, and Bortles will be available. Some team is going to give them two 1st rounders plus a 2nd, right?

Mack is awesome, he dominated the entire OSU team.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
I would like to add a 2nd TE, though, for sure. Like you mentioned earlier taking ASJ in the 2nd round, I would be okay with the Bears taking a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Fiedorowicz from Iowa too.

Honestly I'd rather just take a complete athlete like Waters out of Missouri undrafted or 6th or 7th and try and coach them than use a pick on a backup TE.

We still could use more young OL depth. I just don't really care about TE at all right now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
Honestly I'd rather just take a complete athlete like Waters out of Missouri undrafted or 6th or 7th and try and coach them than use a pick on a backup TE.

We still could use more young OL depth. I just don't really care about TE at all right now.

I haven't read much of anything about Waters (probably because CBS has him ranked as the 35th TE in the draft) but it kinda sounds like you want Fendi Onubun, who was resigned.

I just don't know what to think about Rosario. He seems like he could be a solid backup he's not really someone I'd like to see out there if Bennett were to go down. Last offseason we heard a lot about 2 TE sets (even some rumblings about them taking Eifert in the 1st despite already signing Bennett) so if that's something they really do wanna utilize I'd like to see someone better than Dante.

Perhaps taking one in the first few rounds is a bit of a stretch, but I certainly think they could/should draft a TE, esp. if they end up trading down and grab a few more picks. Maybe taking a chance on Colt Lyerla in the 5th or 6th might be a more plausible pick, and one that I would love. Lyerla is a guy who has huge talent but he's had run ins with the law.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)
I haven't read much of anything about Waters (probably because CBS has him ranked as the 35th TE in the draft) but it kinda sounds like you want Fendi Onubun, who was resigned.

I just don't know what to think about Rosario. He seems like he could be a solid backup he's not really someone I'd like to see out there if Bennett were to go down. Last offseason we heard a lot about 2 TE sets (even some rumblings about them taking Eifert in the 1st despite already signing Bennett) so if that's something they really do wanna utilize I'd like to see someone better than Dante.

Perhaps taking one in the first few rounds is a bit of a stretch, but I certainly think they could/should draft a TE, esp. if they end up trading down and grab a few more picks. Maybe taking a chance on Colt Lyerla in the 5th or 6th might be a more plausible pick, and one that I would love. Lyerla is a guy who has huge talent but he's had run ins with the law.

Yeah, that's exactly right. I basically want to keep trying for gold with the Onubun's etc.

Waters was a TE at Missouri who basically did nothing reception wise, but blocked well, and then just tore it up on pro-day. If he does well, great, if not, not a lot of opportunity cost there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
Yeah, that's exactly right. I basically want to keep trying for gold with the Onubun's etc.

Waters was a TE at Missouri who basically did nothing reception wise, but blocked well, and then just tore it up on pro-day. If he does well, great, if not, not a lot of opportunity cost there.

Meh, I'd much rather take a "proven" guy. TE was a fairly big part of the offense last year, if Bennett goes down I'd like something more than Rosario and a couple question marks like Onubun (though I do still have some hope he finally takes a step) or Waters.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)

Sounds like he could be an UDFA type, in that case.

I agree that TE isn't a huge concern right now, but if Bennett goes down, I'm not too comfortable with Rosario and whoever else out there. The TE position goes back to what it was pre-Bennett days. It's not my preference to take a TE on Day 2 of the draft, but if the right guy is there, I'd have no problem with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
Mack is awesome, he dominated the entire OSU team.

I remember watching that game because I wanted to see if the hype about Mack was real, and I came away very impressed. I'm became a big fan of his after that.