2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I think if you looked at just those two instances and laid them next to each other, yea it could be annoying when presented every fact. When you look at the league wide varying punishments for violence and drug use, you see a very strange inconsistency that is driving everyone crazy.

I think they have consistently been lenient on first time offenders. It has been the repeat offenders they have been harsher with.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I think if you looked at just those two instances and laid them next to each other, yea it could be annoying when presented every fact. When you look at the league wide varying punishments for violence and drug use, you see a very strange inconsistency that is driving everyone crazy.

I guess my main complaint here is that the comparisons im seeing make it look like Josh Gordon smoked weed ONCE and was suspended all year. That's pretty much what I meant by this. I understand that domestic violence is worse than smoking weed. That's what was really irritating me about what im seeing some fools post, and most of them are the pro weed crowd so its not surprising.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
I guess my main complaint here is that the comparisons im seeing make it look like Josh Gordon smoked weed ONCE and was suspended all year. That's pretty much what I meant by this. I understand that domestic violence is worse than smoking weed. That's what was really irritating me about what im seeing some fools post, and most of them are the pro weed crowd so its not surprising.

I encourage and support you getting irritated with people who haven't taken the time to learn the cases on those grounds.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
I doubt anyone would know about it if you were just Kyle and not a professional athlete.

No, but if you wind up on the front page or on the news with video of you dragging your beat until put to sleep wife across a hall by her hair, your employment status has a good chance of changing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
I think they have consistently been lenient on first time offenders. It has been the repeat offenders they have been harsher with.

Did Plaxico have multiple run ins with the law when he got 4 games for shooting himself(after 2 years in prison)? Honest question, I dont recall

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Did Plaxico have multiple run ins with the law when he got 4 games for shooting himself(after 2 years in prison)? Honest question, I dont recall

IIRC, the law he broke was a pretty serious law in New York. I dont remember hearing about him having any previous issues.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)

According to Wikipedia in the 4 months before the gunshot there were 2 domestic disturbance calls to his residence resulting in temporary restraining orders.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
No prior history shouldn't come into play with some offenses. Wife beating is one.

I guess it works that way in multiple sports. Chuck Knoblauch had to beat up 2 wives before the Twins pulled the plug on his Twins HOF ceremony. Beating one was OK.

Now, I do think there is a difference between getting drunk and then both getting into a fight and you punching her and knocking her compared to just beating (as in repeatedly) the crap out of a woman for no reason more than you had a bad day or don't care for what was for dinner that night.

I don't remember the entire story, but im pretty sure they were both fighting. Of course doesn't make it right either way.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
IIRC, the law he broke was a pretty serious law in New York. I dont remember hearing about him having any previous issues.

Some concealed weapon zero tolerance thing.

Spending time in jail because you shot yourself is pretty hysterical.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
McCown was a long term player in the league. And yes, I had similar feelings but despite my feelings of Josh, at least he had a history of playing in the league, etc, and being a legit back-up. My fears were that he was too old, etc. Palmer has never been a legit back-up and now all of a sudden he is. Totally laughable and this "QB" whisperer stuff is overrated. You can't just take total hasbeens and make them good. McCown was smart and efficient and at one time a guy some people thought had some legit upside, early in his career.

Fair enough...Palmer seems like a pretty smart fellow himself, and apparently knows something about the QB position. I remember watching a video of him working out and "teaching" Blake Bortles around draft time and was a little surprised by this.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

It was, which is why he received a 2 year mandatory jail sentence. But then 4 games on top of the jail sentence? Just weird.

And then you have guys who put themselves into rehab to avoid game suspensions like Alden Smith, while he is waiting to go on trial for people getting shot at his house party. All in all, there is very uneven punishment in the NFL

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
He is provoking me to beat some sense into him with statements like that.

you should go to deadspin and read his twitter long form "apology". He definitely made it all better

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Really wanna see a Beadle/Smith debate. It'd be incredible.

I like Beadle cause she seems like a fun person and likes wrestling and all that stuff but I don't think she's the most intelligent person in the world. I don't think she'd be the best debater out there.