2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
And as I said, that sounds like a problem for Emery. If that is the case, see you later and hand the full reigns to Harbaugh.

Disagree. I'm not ready to let Jim Harbaugh choose the players too. He could coach my team but having full control is too much power. Phil Emery has drafted a Pro Bowler in each of his 3 drafts so far.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
John Mullin ‏@CSNMoonMullin 2m2 minutes ago

#Bears GM Emery says Houston let out all his frustrations for not having sacks - Houston came in and apologized to team

Oh well if he's sorry.... that makes it all better.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm ready to switch gears and go with a 3-4.

This keeps Bostic on the field for coverage purposes and allows the Bears to pair him with a run stuffing ILB to kinda help cover up his flaws in the run game. Jones might be that guy.

SMC is then allowed to play the position that had him highly regarded in the draft...Thinkin Willie Young could be solid standing up, but wouldn't hate to see a young freak drafted to play the position.

'

They don't have the personnel to run a 34 front. They just don't. They just drafted Sutton. They signed Young and Allen. They don't fit. Greene doesn't fit. Bostic could probably play ILB in a 34 front but it wouldn't be his best spot. They also don't have CB/S that are good in man coverage. You have to play man coverage if you are going to a 3-4. Just doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Disagree. I'm not ready to let Jim Harbaugh choose the players too. He could coach my team but having full control is too much power. Phil Emery has drafted a Pro Bowler in each of his 3 drafts so far.

Who are the pro bowl players?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)

Technically Fuller is not a probowler and I'd argue this looks like his first good draft. The other two drafts were bad. Yes we got Jeffrey and Long but beyond there is a lot of nothing (i'll even give credit for Mills, although he is not a very good football player). Bottom line, right now we have had very little true productivity out of our last two drafts outside of two individual players. Bostic is still not very good and injury prone and Greene is bad. This years draft, right now, looks like it could be good as I believe in our young DT's we drafted and clearly think Fuller has a chance (although I'm not anointing anything halfway through a season). Maybe Bostic / Greene turn things around and Wilson gets healthy and shows himself off and I think otherwise but to say Emery has had good drafts is just not true.

This off-season we also gave big money to Jared Allen and Houston, both of whom have been major disappointments. I would also say we ignored the LB spot, which is probably the worst or one of the worst units in the league as well. Bottom line, I'm not sold.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Why would we think Shea could even be decent in a 3-4? He has zero pass rushing skills.

Simply because that's what he was thought to be coming out of the draft. We really have no clue what sort of pass rushing skills he has as a 3-4 LB in the NFL because he hasn't been utilized in that way.

There were no pass rush skills apparent as a DE simply because he was undersized and once the OT got a hand on him his speed was shot.

I certainly could be wrong, and he could totally blow, but next year is his last year under contract so he's got a year (or less) to prove himself. Cornelius Washington is another guy under contract next year who could be tried there next year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
'

They don't have the personnel to run a 34 front. They just don't. They just drafted Sutton. They signed Young and Allen. They don't fit. Greene doesn't fit. Bostic could probably play ILB in a 34 front but it wouldn't be his best spot. They also don't have CB/S that are good in man coverage. You have to play man coverage if you are going to a 3-4. Just doesn't make sense.

The fact that you are even talking about Greene is laughable. He is not good. Most of the guys in our LB corps are not good.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
And a 108.6 QBR yesterday. What a great game he played.

7 points before halftime in the last 2 games. 7.

And yesterday was so typical for Cutler. You had throws to Marshall that were telegraphed from the start (and obviously were batted down). You had him freaking out under pressure and killing a play before it was necessary to do so. You had the opposite - him failing to find a wide open Marshall on a blitz and instead taking a 10-12 yard loss sack (which resulted in a short field and another TD). You had the moronic fumble that went for a TD. Then for whatever reason he remembers that he has one of the best catching TE's in football and Bennett starts to open up the field. Forte ran pretty well (not great, but not bad) the entire game. But no matter, the game was lost before then.

He f***ing sucks. There is no argument anymore. He's terrible. I don't know if it's the pressure. I don't know if it's because he's a moron that doesn't know the system as well as he claims. I don't know if it's because he and Trestman are not on the same page. At this point the why doesn't matter. This is an 8-8, no playoffs franchise while he is under center.

The fact that some of you are trying to put us to 3-4 is just insane and delusional. The only decent players we have between the Dline / LB corps are interior dlinemen (Ratliff and our two rooks) + Willie Young on the edge. Our LB's are all bad, yet you want to move to a scheme that means we need 4 guys that play the position we are the worst in? Are you kidding me? We have a nice interior rotation and even a solid end in Willie Young (and Houston, while the injury was stupid hasn't been near as bad as his lack of stat totals would indicate). What we need is speed and good football players. I haven't even touched on safety because we can't even think about upgrading any other position until we see LB cleaned up.

Personally I want to see Marshall traded by the deadline tomorrow. Lets see if Jay can change his habits when his favorite target isn't there. I realize we are thin at wideout but bottom line, I think that is the way if I'm the GM to try and wake up the offense and send a message right at Cutler. How can he stare his favorite guy down if he isn't on the roster. It will also give us a good shot to evaluate Wilson. I know that financially it probably isn't doable but we could probably get a 4th or 5th rounder for Marshall.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)

And yesterday was so typical for Cutler. You had throws to Marshall that were telegraphed from the start (and obviously were batted down). You had him freaking out under pressure and killing a play before it was necessary to do so. You had the opposite - him failing to find a wide open Marshall on a blitz and instead taking a 10-12 yard loss sack (which resulted in a short field and another TD). You had the moronic fumble that went for a TD. Then for whatever reason he remembers that he has one of the best catching TE's in football and Bennett starts to open up the field. Forte ran pretty well (not great, but not bad) the entire game. But no matter, the game was lost before then.

He f***ing sucks. There is no argument anymore. He's terrible. I don't know if it's the pressure. I don't know if it's because he's a moron that doesn't know the system as well as he claims. I don't know if it's because he and Trestman are not on the same page. At this point the why doesn't matter. This is an 8-8, no playoffs franchise while he is under center.

4-7 since he came back from injury, and he leads the lead in turnovers since then as well. He really is the second coming of Jeff George.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)

Again, I think you're overreacting a bit, but you are right, hard to argue with some of your criticisms.

One thing I read and heard in a few places was the Patriots believed if they took Jay's first read away, he would panic and drop his eyes down to the rush. That seems to be true of Jay at times. Rarely do you see him go through his progressions and scan the field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Again, I think you're overreacting a bit, but you are right, hard to argue with some of your criticisms.

One thing I read and heard in a few places was the Patriots believed if they took Jay's first read away, he would panic and drop his eyes down to the rush. That seems to be true of Jay at times. Rarely do you see him go through his progressions and scan the field.

It also seems to be an indication of our offense since it appeared that some player quotes have indicated that the Bears offense is very well based on preread snaps and little true progressions and Bears O has been very vanilla, allowing opposing defenses to really know what is coming and the results would be indicators of that.

Bears first half possessions:

6 plays, 2 yards, punt

6 plays, 15 yards, punt

3 plays, 5 yards, punt

5 plays, 77 yards, TD

3 plays, -3 yards, punt

1 play, -5 yards, fumble

3 plays, 20 yards, interception

That's 7 drives that produced 4 punts, 2 turnovers, and one touchdown. 27 plays, 111 yards, 4.1 yards per play. The Jets are currently last in the league at 4.7 yards per play. On the six non-TD drives, they ran 22 plays for a whopping 34 yards. This offense sucks and that's problem #1

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)

Now it just seems like he looks at his first read, if it's not there, he goes straight to Forte, that's why he's leading the league in receptions. What's the point of having Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett then?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Bears first half possessions:

6 plays, 2 yards, punt

6 plays, 15 yards, punt

3 plays, 5 yards, punt

5 plays, 77 yards, TD

3 plays, -3 yards, punt

1 play, -5 yards, fumble

3 plays, 20 yards, interception

That's 7 drives that produced 4 punts, 2 turnovers, and one touchdown. 27 plays, 111 yards, 4.1 yards per play. The Jets are currently last in the league at 4.7 yards per play. On the six non-TD drives, they ran 22 plays for a whopping 34 yards. This offense sucks and that's problem #1

You should probably exclude the last drive from the equation but point is still valid. At the point of the last two drives we were completely out of it and the 2nd turnover was on a hail mary so those count less. My problem was more the first five drives, which resulted in 1 touchdown and minimal yards, some of which were driven by penalties IIRC.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Simply because that's what he was thought to be coming out of the draft. We really have no clue what sort of pass rushing skills he has as a 3-4 LB in the NFL because he hasn't been utilized in that way.

There were no pass rush skills apparent as a DE simply because he was undersized and once the OT got a hand on him his speed was shot.

I certainly could be wrong, and he could totally blow, but next year is his last year under contract so he's got a year (or less) to prove himself. Cornelius Washington is another guy under contract next year who could be tried there next year.

He sucks. Just accept it. He is weak and has no pass rush moves. You can't rush the passer in the NFL just based on speed (especially when you aren't particularly fast).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
The fact that some of you are trying to put us to 3-4 is just insane and delusional. The only decent players we have between the Dline / LB corps are interior dlinemen (Ratliff and our two rooks) + Willie Young on the edge. Our LB's are all bad, yet you want to move to a scheme that means we need 4 guys that play the position we are the worst in? Are you kidding me? We have a nice interior rotation and even a solid end in Willie Young (and Houston, while the injury was stupid hasn't been near as bad as his lack of stat totals would indicate). What we need is speed and good football players. I haven't even touched on safety because we can't even think about upgrading any other position until we see LB cleaned up.

Personally I want to see Marshall traded by the deadline tomorrow. Lets see if Jay can change his habits when his favorite target isn't there. I realize we are thin at wideout but bottom line, I think that is the way if I'm the GM to try and wake up the offense and send a message right at Cutler. How can he stare his favorite guy down if he isn't on the roster. It will also give us a good shot to evaluate Wilson. I know that financially it probably isn't doable but we could probably get a 4th or 5th rounder for Marshall.

I would personally run you out of town if you did this as hypothetical GM. This is insanity right here. Get rid of one of the best WR's in the league to prove a point to the QB?

Get rid of Marshall and Jay will favor Jeffrey. Get rid of Jeffrey and he'll favor someone else. The problem isn't the WR's, it's the QB refusing (or unable) to make a proper secondary read.