2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
They don't dial it bacl from criticism. They dial it back when he throw stupid interception, which coincides with the criticism.

Well, look at what happened this year...Jay had a few good games to start the year, everything is ok. We win in SF and then NY. Then he struggles and plays an especially bad half against Green Bay. The criticism starts. Jay begins pouting. Coaching staff worries he will quit on the team if criticism continues. They go into Carolina and keep things conservative in order to protect Cutler from interceptions leading to more criticism. We lose again.

This is basically what I see happening. It's why we started dumping everything down into the flats instead of throwing the ball down field.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
If the bears are lacking in talent it falls on emery now, he has had three years to make progress on building the team and he has not.

From this draft they have one player contributing, Fuller, two if you count the punter who is no great shakes. The defensive linemen may turn out but it has not shown so.

Vareen and Carey have shown nothing, Leno allowed the PAT to be blocked yesterday and that is the first I have ever heard his name.

Bostic, Brown, Mills, Washington and Wilson have not done anything to show they are anything better than just guys. Bostic has some talent but he misreads every play.

Greene looks to have some talent.

One player from the 2012 draft, Jefferey is the only hope there. McClellain is still on the team because he was a first round pick.

Through three drafts he has Long and Jeffrey and hopefully Fuller who I hope is hurt because he has done little or nothing the last few weeks.

He may be able to blame the coaching staff for not developing players but he hired them. He also was a reach hire as well.

I disagree with much of this. It's too early to make sweeping generalizations about recent drafts. It's also lazy scouting. The Bears are in this position because of years and years of bad drafting by Jerry Angelo. The only way to get out of the mess is by years and years of good drafting by Phil Emery or whoever else. Just the way it is.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
I disagree with much of this. It's too early to make sweeping generalizations about recent drafts. It's also lazy scouting. The Bears are in this position because of years and years of bad drafting by Jerry Angelo. The only way to get out of the mess is by years and years of good drafting by Phil Emery or whoever else. Just the way it is.

Too early to make sweeping generalizations about recent drafts?

You just called Fuller a cornerstone player after playing in less than one season.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)

Two players from Emery's first draft/offseason are on the roster. Isiah frey may be somewhere but who knows and Shea is not a first round talent.

So we have years of bad Angelo drafting and nothing emery has done has shown he knows what he is doing.

This coaching staff is all his, does he get a pass on that as well as his first draft?

This team is not only bad they are embarrassing, the coaching all has to go, every one of them, so two years later Emery gets to try again.......

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Well, look at what happened this year...Jay had a few good games to start the year, everything is ok. We win in SF and then NY. Then he struggles and plays an especially bad half against Green Bay. The criticism starts. Jay begins pouting. Coaching staff worries he will quit on the team if criticism continues. They go into Carolina and keep things conservative in order to protect Cutler from interceptions leading to more criticism. We lose again.

This is basically what I see happening. It's why we started dumping everything down into the flats instead of throwing the ball down field.

Jay didn't start well. He lost the first game of the season by being a moron.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
Two players from Emery's first draft/offseason are on the roster. Isiah frey may be somewhere but who knows and Shea is not a first round talent.

So we have years of bad Angelo drafting and nothing emery has done has shown he knows what he is doing.

This coaching staff is all his, does he get a pass on that as well as his first draft?

This team is not only bad they are embarrassing, the coaching all has to go, every one of them, so two years later Emery gets to try again.......

That's a bunch of bull. He got Marshall for nothing. He fixed the O-line in practically one season. He's drafted no worse than average, but I'd argue it's trending slightly above average.

Realistically he missed on the coach, he f***ed up relying on Cutler, and he thought he could piece together a defense to be average along side his supposedly above-average offense. The plan obviously didn't work, but i'm not sure his plan was really all that unreasonable at the time. I liked most of the moves he made. Hell, I thought they were a playoff team at worst and a contender at best. It just didn't work out. He still dealt with massive injuries on both sides of the ball this year, and guys who should be producing more than they are (see, Allen, Jared, Cutler, Jay, etc.)

The bigger problem is moving forward. They're f***ed for the foreseeable future. At least three seasons. He better draft a QB in waiting, draft young defensive talent and hope in 2017 or 2018 the QB in waiting can become a starter.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Jay didn't start well. He lost the first game of the season by being a moron.

You can also point to the Bears completely abandoning the run game in that first game as a good reason they lost

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Oh give it up already. He played well in SF and NY and most of the first half against GB.

Oh wow! The highest paid player in the league played well for 5 halves of football! Give him the MVP!

You have such a hard on for Jay. I don't get it. He's TERRIBLE. He's not a franchise QB. Not even close.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
You can also point to the Bears completely abandoning the run game in that first game as a good reason they lost

That is such an overblown talking point. Dump off passes and screens provide the same space. Forte was a monster the first half of the season.

edit: and what a criticism - forcing Cutler to throw the ball to Marshall, Jeffrey and Bennett, three of the best weapons in the entire league.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

One thing worth remembering in terms of "How much talent the Bears have" is that they're sitting on $10 million in dead cap space this season due to the Julius Peppers Contract. That really is a big difference in terms of things like "Depth on defense". That's 2 really solid, starting level players.

You can perhaps blame Emery for not cutting the cord a season sooner, but at some point the Bears were going to have to bite a bullet on the Peppers contract when it was signed and everyone knew it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
That is such an overblown talking point. Dump off passes and screens provide the same space. Forte was a monster the first half of the season.

edit: and what a criticism - forcing Cutler to throw the ball to Marshall, Jeffrey and Bennett, three of the best weapons in the entire league.

Look, im not absolving Cutler of blame here. He has not had a good season. But the Bears frittered away the Buffalo game by trying to pass all over the place and didnt run at all in the second half to control the score and the clock.

Im sorry you feel that Jay is the only one who deserves blame in that loss, and he certainly deserves some, but not all.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Too early to make sweeping generalizations about recent drafts?

You just called Fuller a cornerstone player after playing in less than one season.

Very good point. My bad. I do a lot of NFL Draft work in my free time as a hobby though and I think Fuller was the best CB in the draft. His early success was not a surprise to me because I broke down like 5-6 of his games. I think Kyle Fuller will prove to be a cornerstone player. Should have stated it differently.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
That's a bunch of bull. He got Marshall for nothing. He fixed the O-line in practically one season. He's drafted no worse than average, but I'd argue it's trending slightly above average.

Realistically he missed on the coach, he f***ed up relying on Cutler, and he thought he could piece together a defense to be average along side his supposedly above-average offense. The plan obviously didn't work, but i'm not sure his plan was really all that unreasonable at the time. I liked most of the moves he made. Hell, I thought they were a playoff team at worst and a contender at best. It just didn't work out. He still dealt with massive injuries on both sides of the ball this year, and guys who should be producing more than they are (see, Allen, Jared, Cutler, Jay, etc.)

The bigger problem is moving forward. They're f***ed for the foreseeable future. At least three seasons. He better draft a QB in waiting, draft young defensive talent and hope in 2017 or 2018 the QB in waiting can become a starter.

Missing on the coaching staff in totality and relying on Cutler should get him fired. He had two much better options for head coach that he missed on to think outside of the box.

At this point in time this team is horrendous, they are not just losing they are embarrassed on a weekly basis. Teams have three and four play drives that go 50+ yards fora score. They look like an over-matched college teams at times.

The entire franchise structure needs to be rebuilt not just the coaching staff.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Look, im not absolving Cutler of blame here. He has not had a good season. But the Bears frittered away the Buffalo game by trying to pass all over the place and didnt run at all in the second half to control the score and the clock.

Im sorry you feel that Jay is the only one who deserves blame in that loss, and he certainly deserves some, but not all.

They can't run the ball. It's been proven this entire season. Being stubborn and keeping at something that isn't working is a dumb strategy.

Yes, others (the defense, coaching, Marshall I believe had some terrible drops) deserve blame, but Jay is the only one who literally threw away a chance at winning that game in the 4th.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Missing on the coaching staff in totality and relying on Cutler should get him fired. He had two much better options for head coach that he missed on to think outside of the box.

At this point in time this team is horrendous, they are not just losing they are embarrassed on a weekly basis. Teams have three and four play drives that go 50+ yards fora score. They look like an over-matched college teams at times.

The entire franchise structure needs to be rebuilt not just the coaching staff.

I'm in agreement with this. But it's never going to happen. The Bears are one of the most conservatively owned teams in the league. And who can blame them when they make buckets full of money every Sunday despite being a pretty s***ty franchise since the mid-80's.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
They can't run the ball. It's been proven this entire season. Being stubborn and keeping at something that isn't working is a dumb strategy.

Yes, others (the defense, coaching, Marshall I believe had some terrible drops) deserve blame, but Jay is the only one who literally threw away a chance at winning that game in the 4th.

so the oline wasn't exactly fixed then

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

I have thought the running the ball thing is overblown. They weren't getting anywhere running the ball vs. Detroit anyway.

Last night was interesting. There were complaints that Cutler has checked out of runs into passes previously, but when Forte took a 6 yard loss on a carry, it was interesting that Phil Simms said it was a play that Cutler needed to but failed to check out of. I think maybe Cutler's biggest issue isn't that he can come off as pretty unlikeable, maybe he just doesn't understand the chess game football is very well.

Cardinals waived RB Michael Bush.

Bush was just signed last week. He'll be released to create room for OLB Matt Shaughnessy's return from I.R. Stepfan Taylor will start in place of Andre Ellington against the Chiefs, with Marion Grice getting change-of-pace snaps. The Cardinals have also promoted RB Kerywnn Williams from the practice squad.

Source: azcardinals.com

Bush lasted a cup of coffee I am sure he will blame Arizona like he did the Bears.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Yeah, Trestman has to go along with Emery. I've never checked out of a Bears season this early.

that's why its better to suck than be mediocre. sucking gives you a reason to tune in.