2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Haven't seen much of Young. He took advantage of a matchup against a backup. But he seemed really tiny on my TV set

Really? Young is like the biggest guy on the field in my tv set. I noticed it last week when watching the game. I was like, my goodness, he's huge (very long). No idea what his actual size is and am just going off my eye. For all I know, you are right.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:43 AM)
The Niners really gave that game away, handed it to the Bears on a silver platter. All those penalties, turnovers and complete lack of a pass rush. Terribly sloppy game but I still enjoyed seeing all those new faces do well on defense and taking advantage of SanFrans ineptitude on offense.

A number of those penalties were because our players made plays. The holding calls on Allen...the calls on their db's where our guys made plays. One particular was a long td pass to Jeffrey had the penalty not been made. Bottom line, our offense weapons should draw a lot of defensive penalties. We had quite a few penalties, both on special teams and on key 3rd downs, especially early in that game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
Both of Fullers interceptions were stellar. the second one he totally hid himself in his gap and Kaep didnt even see him.

Last night the kids came out to play. After fuller, Bostic was taking a lot of time away from DJ Williams, and Brock Vereen also had a lot of time at safety, as well as Michael Ola, Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton getting a lot of minutes.

Dare I say it, at times last night, our defense actually looked fast. I'll quickly eat my hat for saying that but they did look a lot quicker then in week 1. Might be because we had more younguns on the field. Shea made some rookie LB mistakes (and that is what he is) but also made some nice plays too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
How about the 4 penalties on one punt?

See...my expectations are so low...that I just expect that. At least we didn't give up any big plays and were smart enough to take the touchbacks. I literally don't want our guys to do anything. Only people I trust are Gould and Holmes. Thats it. It is unbelievable how bad Decamilis is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Exactly. Plus that putrid start had one drive where we started inside our 10...another drive where our back-up center snapped it 20 yards back and put us in an impossible predicament, a drive where Alshon / Marshall dropped potential first down catches, and a drive where Cutler threw a beautiful ball to Bennett, who juggled it and made the catch only to have it overturned on a lousy play. The key was on a couple plays where things went south, Jay threw the ball away. Don't make the turnovers and you can turn the field position battle a bit. Of course with our special teams unit, it is almost impossible. They are so bad.

I almost think they should just punt it out of bounds each time. Prevent a return and a penalty...sure you lose a bit on yardage but at least you don't have the downside of a long td run and constant penalties. Uggh. How did DeCamilis keep his job. Seriously.

Defense played admirably and did a nice job against the type of offense they historically struggle against. Briggs played well, Allen showed up, Willie Young is a beast. That said, if they made tackles, game ends a lot sooner. Coverage still was soft at times and I hope Conte / Tillman etc can somehow return. Presume Tillman's career is over but hoping it isn't.

That wasn't the center's fault. Cutler lifted his leg to call for the ball, Ola tapped De La Punte as he was supposed to. Cutler looked away after he called for it. It was low but Cutler can't look away after he calls for the snap.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
That wasn't the center's fault. Cutler lifted his leg to call for the ball, Ola tapped De La Punte as he was supposed to. Cutler looked away after he called for it. It was low but Cutler can't look away after he calls for the snap.

I guess I shouldn't have jumped to blame but I still don't know whose fault it was. You don't know if Cutler called it or not...guard did tap DLP though. It was odd that Cutler was looking away though and seemed surprised at the snap but could very well have been on Jay.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)

Just cause Jay lifted his leg doesn't necessarily mean he was calling for the ball. I'm not saying he wasn't either but there's plenty of instances where the first leg lift isn't necessarily the call.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Vereen missed a sack on a free run at Kaep, but I liked him out there

That was a rookie mistake, he needs to go outside to force Kaep to go inside where there are more bodies. Brock just got big eyed there, that's an easy fix though.

Bears had 4 rooks in on that last drive and held their own (got them to 4th down twice).

There was also some nifty stuff, like shea blitzing and going straight up the outside which was supposed to have the effect of the Justin Smith move (pushing the offensive blockers out to give space to the end. Allen couldn't get free but I thought it was a pretty cool blitz.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Just cause Jay lifted his leg doesn't necessarily mean he was calling for the ball. I'm not saying he wasn't either but there's plenty of instances where the first leg lift isn't necessarily the call.

True. But if you were watching the game that is the signal there were using when they couldn't hear because the crowd was so loud. Cutler would lift his leg and Ola would watch. Once he did this Ola would tap DLP (i like that initial better) to tell him to snap the ball. It worked all game except the one instance, which is pretty good considering the noise on the field.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
True. But if you were watching the game that is the signal there were using when they couldn't hear because the crowd was so loud. Cutler would lift his leg and Ola would watch. Once he did this Ola would tap DLP (i like that initial better) to tell him to snap the ball. It worked all game except the one instance, which is pretty good considering the noise on the field.

Fair enough. I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize that so I'll take your word for it.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
It'll be interesting to see if they keep Vereen in that role or if they call up Frey/Louis-Jean. I was big on Vereen in the offseason and remember saying if he failed at FS he should have a chance to play CB.

I have to imagine Frey is coming up. We are down 2 cbs so no chance we walk into the game with just 3 active (I don't know McManis' injury at this point).

Louis-Jean is obviously very talented but I think he is too young to trust back there. I'd prefer Frey's experience.