2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
The initial contact on Jeffrey was an arm bar by the defender. If he does not stick his arm out Jeffrey does not grab it and is thus impeded from coming back to the ball. It was nto as bad as gruden maade it sound as he never did give it up.

The fumble.....well that was really bad officiating.

BTW the Mike and Mike Show and the Mulley and Hanley show have two very different perspectives on how good the Jets starting QB is. Listening to both this morning was amazing.

Just wondering, who was on what side of the fence?

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the Jets game plan was anticipating that the Bears would throw everything at the run game with Decker hurt, so they decided to hit quick passes between the hash marks. It was there all game, and they executed it pretty well.

This has been my main worry about the D. Last year they were so bad that I wasn't confident that even if our run game improved the passing game was a worse option for teams to exploit.

But last night I feel like they are close, and with so much turnover it will be a matter of consistency and reps. That said, DJ Williams is still not showing much at all.

Jets were in the red zone six times. SIX. You should walk away from that game with at least 20 plus points.

Sometimes Geno Smith looks really good and other times he is like I'm just going to throw this into double coverage and see what happens.

I'm not sure he will ever be any better.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
Jets were in the red zone six times. SIX. You should walk away from that game with at least 20 plus points.

Sometimes Geno Smith looks really good and other times he is like I'm just going to throw this into double coverage and see what happens.

I'm not sure he will ever be any better.

I think it was actually seven...

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 05:35 AM)
Rob Bironas killed in car crash. Awful.

Was an underrated kicker. Big foot. Just awful.

I don't know if this is old news, but there's a 911 call that the people are saying Bironas passed their car in anger and then went on to run off the road and hit the trees.

Not worth it.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/22/rob-biron...accident-titans

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
It looks like the Jets game plan was anticipating that the Bears would throw everything at the run game with Decker hurt, so they decided to hit quick passes between the hash marks. It was there all game, and they executed it pretty well.

This has been my main worry about the D. Last year they were so bad that I wasn't confident that even if our run game improved the passing game was a worse option for teams to exploit.

But last night I feel like they are close, and with so much turnover it will be a matter of consistency and reps. That said, DJ Williams is still not showing much at all.

Thats surprising, I saw a ton of people that thought he had a hell of a game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
Yikes, that's a fumble. Cutler looks rattled tonight.

Rattled. He took shot after shot and made good decisions. His only WTF throws were good reads where he got hit on the release or just balls that had low completion chances (but low pick percentages too). With all of that pressure, he played well. Missed a couple throws but by and large was accurate (given the scheme they were going against) and more importantly protected the ball (outside of that fumble which well, when you get picked up by your legs you are going to get a little taken a back). Bears made a lot of mistakes though to leave Jets in game.

Special teams coverage unit looked good but again, stupid penalties bite special teams in the butt. Pathetic. Stupid defensive penalties too, extending drives, etc. The lack of discipline let Jets hang around. Hopefully Marshall will be alright.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Mike and Mike and their experts trying to explain how he will be good

Mully and Hanley basically said he sucked. The Bears gave him every opportunity to beat them and he would not take it,

Mike Greenberg is a Jets fan. That's why he thinks he'll be good.

There is so much Aaron Brooks to Geno Smith's game. The occasional flash of a guy who can make a good throw into tight space, and the other times where he just chucks it up and hopes his guy comes down with it.

Mike Greenberg is a Jets fan. That's why he thinks he'll be good.

There is so much Aaron Brooks to Geno Smith's game. The occasional flash of a guy who can make a good throw into tight space, and the other times where he just chucks it up and hopes his guy comes down with it.

His wife is a huge Bears fan. Their house would have been one very entertaining place to watch that game last night.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't know if this is old news, but there's a 911 call that the people are saying Bironas passed their car in anger and then went on to run off the road and hit the trees.

Not worth it.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/22/rob-biron...accident-titans

Now a group of college students also say that Bironas chased them in this car, tried to drive them off the road, and threatened to kill them. Story keeps getting weirder.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2014/...tened/16096649/

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Now a group of college students also say that Bironas chased them in this car, tried to drive them off the road, and threatened to kill them. Story keeps getting weirder.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2014/...tened/16096649/

Wow. Looks like Bironas went off the deep end.

I'd love to say this is due to football and brain trauma, but the guy was a kicker.

Edit: some people on reddit think it's ambien. Some people sleep-walk/sleep-drive while on it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
@thekapman: Olin Kreutz on Ron Jaworski criticizing Cutler: “Ron never had Jay’s arm so he couldn’t throw off of his back foot."

He threw off his back foot twice last night. One of them was on an all-out blitz screen, which is fine. The other one was completely under-thrown and could have gotten picked.

Arm or no arm, throwing off his back foot usually brings Bad Jay.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
He threw off his back foot twice last night. One of them was on an all-out blitz screen, which is fine. The other one was completely under-thrown and could have gotten picked.

Arm or no arm, throwing off his back foot usually brings Bad Jay.

I thought it looked like he threw off his back foot on the huge third down conversion to Alshon late in the game too. Also against an all-out blitz

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
I thought it looked like he threw off his back foot on the huge third down conversion to Alshon late in the game too. Also against an all-out blitz

I think you're right. That was another lob if I remember correctly.

Jay made some real nice plays against a tough defense. This is the type of game a few seasons ago that would have been a complete meltdown. We know we'll have some tough games out of Jay but major strides are being made. To do what he did despite having zero rushing attack and that much heat was solid. Great game, no, but it was a good game with few bad throws. We really need a 3rd wideout to step up given the health issues of Marshall / Jeffrey. Bennett has been awesome. The throw he made down field to Jeffrey and the TD pass to Bennett and the called back one to Marshall were things of beauty.

Huge game this week, especially given how we are in our most difficult part of the schedule here (1st half of season).

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
That was a terrible throw that thankfully worked out.

It was an all out blitz and single coverage with Alshon. It was perfect and exactly what you should do given the situation. Jay read the defense and knew that was what you were supposed to do. Gruden was talking about how perfect it was as well. He did have one bad throw on his back foot, which was a floater that he underthrew. Had he made a better throw (I think the play was to Bennett), they had a shot at a big play. That and a slant to Jeffrey were his two worse throws of the game, imo (as the slant he missed to Jeffrey would have been a TD and the play to Bennett would have been a big play). He had a couple other that could have been better and he did throw a few into tight coverage but when he did, it was situations where either you were going to get a heck of a catch or an incompletion. Low pick percentage throws which is what matters.

Only near picks were on plays where he was hit on the throw. And on one of them, even with the hit he threw what should have been a TD to Bennett (who dropped it...although trajectory was impacted).

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
That was a terrible throw that thankfully worked out.

I call it Jay using his receivers to his advantage.

If it was anyone but Alshon or Marshall out there, I don't think he makes that throw and if he did, it would have been picked off.