2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
The sack statistic in the metric seems inherently flawed. I didn't see much Jay could do on the sacks that happened to him in the Jets game. That wasn't all that bad of a game as a whole, given the defense he played against. Where does opposition defense fall into the ranks?

Also, I don't quite get how he is 22 out of 35 QB's when he is in the top 10 (I believe) in Yards, TD's, TD to Int Ratio, and QB Rating.

It isn't that all sacks go against the QB, just that they are sometimes attributed to the QB so I'm not sure which are and which aren't.

Unlike baseball's sabermetrics, there is not really an attempt to remove the contributions from context. So all the numbers will be affected by how good the opponent is. A really good play against a bad team is the same as one against a good team. Not a big surprise that the team didn't put up an amazing grade against a good D like NYJ or (possibly) SF.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Got to love his instincts and his ability to be around the ball. Great that Tillman is traveling with the squad. I hope he is doing everything he can to mentor Fuller. Still, he is a rookie so we should expect some rookie mistakes but great to see. Also nice to see our young dlineman making an impact as well.

His football pedigree is better than Kyle Long's. Tillman is icing on the mentoring cake.

I love PFF statistics. Post a positive grade in here and everyone is like "oh yes he's amazing see?". Post a negative grade "Their grades are unreliable and skewed!"

I will say that I was surprised to see Sutton with a negative grade. He seems to be collapsing the pocket regularly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
There defense is still above average, imo. From a YPG perspective, sixth best in the league. Jets are 2nd in the league. Buffalo ranks 15th. All three teams we played are in top half of league defensively. I will caveat this by saying from a PPG perspective, it becomes a little more skewed with Buffalo being top 10 and Jets / 49ers ranking below. However, part of that is driven by 49er / Jet turnovers.

Are we talking about the same "good" Jets defense that gave up 426 yards and 31 points to the Packers? They have a great run defense but average to slightly above average defense as a whole IMO. The Lions defense has actually looked much better than the Jets

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
It's Alshon Jeffery. Say it with me. Even in the thread I've seen it wrong. I think the guy is good enough in his 3rd season to not have his name mispronounced anymore.

It's a running joke in this thread. Say it with me, running....joke. ;)

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Are we talking about the same "good" Jets defense that gave up 426 yards and 31 points to the Packers? They have a great run defense but average to slightly above average defense as a whole IMO. The Lions defense has actually looked much better than the Jets

Lions D has been phenomenal. Of course I'm the guy that picked the Lions to win the division with the thought that with a new coach they would play more disciplined football. Lions have looked excellent defensively.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 40m

Free agent CB Champ Bailey, who feels healthy, said he is willing to play nickel or safety if that's what it takes to land a job somewhere.

Feel like Conte has played well when he's out there, but this is a little intriguing to me.

A 36 year old Safety? No thanks.

There's a reason Adrian Wilson didn't make this team despite our s***ty safety situation.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
I remember really wanting the Bears to draft Bailey when they had the chance, instead they traded that pick to Washington and then took McNown a few picks later.

McNown to Marcus Robinson FTW.

So just a small topic of discussion on a slow day:

What do you feel happened to Eli Manning? Is he a victim of the team around him becoming worse, or do you hang all of it on Eli? In his two Super Bowl seasons, he was surgical down the stretch and really made other teams pay. Now, he seems just as likely to throw a pick or fumble as he is to get a completion.

Just curious what you guys think, me and a friend had this discussion today

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)

What do you feel happened to Eli Manning? Is he a victim of the team around him becoming worse, or do you hang all of it on Eli? In his two Super Bowl seasons, he was surgical down the stretch and really made other teams pay. Now, he seems just as likely to throw a pick or fumble as he is to get a completion.

I think it is 100% on the crap line and crap team around him. He always had an element of being a headcase. But last year eliminated virtually all of good Eli, just one year after being pretty dang good. You saw last week what he can do with some time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)

I think his Super Bowl runs slightly overrated him as a QB, he's always been inconsistent. As the team around him has deteriorated, he has gone downhill with them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
Stephen A got 2 weeks for saying that women get what they ask for in regards to domestic violence. Simmons gets 3 weeks for saying what everyone is saying about Goodell. ESPN for ya.

I would have to imagine this is the last straw for Simmons and ESPN.

Will be interesting what Simmons' next move is since he fought so hard for creative control with Grantland and the 30/30 series

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)

He has always turned the ball over too much. He has turned the ball over 209 times in 156 games.

For some reason he has been really good in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:12 AM)
Stephen A got 2 weeks for saying that women get what they ask for in regards to domestic violence. Simmons gets 3 weeks for saying what everyone is saying about Goodell. ESPN for ya.

I would have to imagine this is the last straw for Simmons and ESPN.

Jason Kint ‏@jason_kint · 2h

Nice stat. "Bill Simmons suspended longer for criticizing Roger Goodell than Goodell originally suspended Ray Rice"

QUOTE (lord chas @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:29 AM)
Will be interesting what Simmons' next move is since he fought so hard for creative control with Grantland and the 30/30 series

The problem is even if he goes out on his own he'll never make as much money or be able to hire as many people as with the ESPN backing.

That said, I'd love if he removed himself from tv and went back to writing and podcasts.