2014-2015 NFL Football thread

My other favorite part was how their ombudsman put out a blog post about how the coverage of the ray rice situation was one of his proudest moments of his Ombudsman career. In it he referenced Simmons coverage among others.

Luckily, ESPN took down the entire ombudsman section from their web site.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
My other favorite part was how their ombudsman put out a blog post about how the coverage of the ray rice situation was one of his proudest moments of his Ombudsman career. In it he referenced Simmons coverage among others.

Luckily, ESPN took down the entire ombudsman section from their web site.

?

It's not down.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
The problem is even if he goes out on his own he'll never make as much money or be able to hire as many people as with the ESPN backing.

That said, I'd love if he removed himself from tv and went back to writing and podcasts.

He has all the money he'll ever need and the other outlets would fight over him if he quit right now. He'd have a gig by tonight. Maybe I'm being naive, but I really think he's done at ESPN this time. He never sounded so pissed about something as this Goodell press conference.

By the way, he breached ESPN's "journalistic standards" during a weekly podcast where he guesses gambling lines that's been running for like six years in a row. Wonder why the NFL never distanced itself from that.

What a racket. The NFL has no f***ing shame and neither does ESPN.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
The problem is even if he goes out on his own he'll never make as much money or be able to hire as many people as with the ESPN backing.

That said, I'd love if he removed himself from tv and went back to writing and podcasts.

His writing is becoming pretty meh these days, unless it's on a topic he really cares about. The sports guy schtick is old and has been bested by other bloggers. His podcasts are still the best, and his stuff on the NBA with Rose is the best. Their preview special is going to be great.

But I think he can do all of that stuff elsewhere. I guarantee you Fox would pay him a great deal and let him have more control than ESPN. Yahoo is another option. Maybe even Turner sports with the NBA. I don't think he would have a problem finding another gig willing to pay him for his followers. Would he have the same amount as with ESPN? Probably not. But 80-85% would stick with him, and who knows, maybe he can get more popular with Fox or others pushing him (think NFL Sunday or the TNT NBA crew).

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
He has all the money he'll ever need and the other outlets would fight over him if he quit right now. He'd have a gig by tonight. Maybe I'm being naive, but I really think he's done at ESPN this time. He never sounded so pissed about something as this Goodell press conference.

By the way, he breached ESPN's "journalistic standards" during a weekly podcast where he guesses gambling lines that's been running for like six years in a row. Wonder why the NFL never distanced itself from that.

What a racket. The NFL has no f***ing shame and neither does ESPN.

The journalistic standards stuff is a joke. He's not a journalist.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
It'd be interesting to see what would happen to Grantland. Would other writers follow Simmons?

I wonder if he has part ownership in grantland as well? Not sure how the contract would have been written. Simmons is awesome and ESPN should take a lot of heat from what has happened. Problem is they control much of the airwaves.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
His writing is becoming pretty meh these days, unless it's on a topic he really cares about. The sports guy schtick is old and has been bested by other bloggers. His podcasts are still the best, and his stuff on the NBA with Rose is the best. Their preview special is going to be great.

But I think he can do all of that stuff elsewhere. I guarantee you Fox would pay him a great deal and let him have more control than ESPN. Yahoo is another option. Maybe even Turner sports with the NBA. I don't think he would have a problem finding another gig willing to pay him for his followers. Would he have the same amount as with ESPN? Probably not. But 80-85% would stick with him, and who knows, maybe he can get more popular with Fox or others pushing him (think NFL Sunday or the TNT NBA crew).

Fair enough, I just don't know that people realize how sweet a package he was given.

I think he's just stretched thin now with NBA tv, which sucks, because his NBA writing was the most fun.

Re: comment about the journalistic standards: Simmons has said equally if not more provocative stuff regarding specific athletes or say, Sterling. Not a peep from ESPN.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
I wonder if he has part ownership in grantland as well? Not sure how the contract would have been written. Simmons is awesome and ESPN should take a lot of heat from what has happened. Problem is they control much of the airwaves.

I bet he has full ownership over the name and product, and this is a "partnership", we've seen similar agreements as with Andrew Sullivan's "Daily Dish" and his partnership with The Atlantic and Daily Beast. Seems like this is a similar set up, with the bonus of "shared content".

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Fair enough, I just don't know that people realize how sweet a package he was given.

I think he's just stretched thin now with NBA tv, which sucks, because his NBA writing was the most fun.

Re: comment about the journalistic standards: Simmons has said equally if not more provocative stuff regarding specific athletes or say, Sterling. Not a peep from ESPN.

Yeah this was pretty weak. He's gone after Goodell many times in the past so i'm sure that's part of it. Was it over the line to keep calling him a liar with zero proof of that being the case? Probably. But it's a podcast, not a Between the Lines report.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Lol well this is the last time because they gave him an injury settlement so I'm not sure they can bring him back.

the earliest he could come back would be 6 weeks, longest is 10 depending on the type of settlement he received.

Either way, he gawn

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)
http://espn.go.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/i...and-suspensions

lol

"Simmons is awesome and our franchise player but we needed to suspend him."

Sometimes that means keeping rein on network superstars, challenging them, holding them to the highest of standards.

That is where he completely lost me. This is the company that employs Skip Bayless for the express purpose of saying outlandish things every day on that garbage show. And again, this happened on a years-running podcast centered on sports gambling, which is illegal in most of the country, including the state in which the podcast is recorded. All the talk about standards is insulting and they should stop insulting us.

I stay away from commentary on ESPN and other sports networks the same way I stay away from commentary on cable news networks. I tune in to see live sporting events or to catch score updates. I don't read/watch Simmons, Bayless, Kornheiser or any of the other talking heads. My only exception is Mike & Mike, but they are really much more of a light, morning show than a talking head type show.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
I stay away from commentary on ESPN and other sports networks the same way I stay away from commentary on cable news networks. I tune in to see live sporting events or to catch score updates. I don't read/watch Simmons, Bayless, Kornheiser or any of the other talking heads. My only exception is Mike & Mike, but they are really much more of a light, morning show than a talking head type show.

Problem is Simmons isn't a talking head.

Hence why people are pissed.

He's given ESPN its best two things recently, Grantland and 30 for 30.