2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
I guess all of us who thought Hester was done were a little off.

I just think he didn't have a part in the Bears offense. Atlanta has been great about running gimmick plays to get him involved, and involving him heavily as a WR. The Bears just didn't have the time for that anymore

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
I just think he didn't have a part in the Bears offense. Atlanta has been great about running gimmick plays to get him involved, and involving him heavily as a WR. The Bears just didn't have the time for that anymore

What's interesting so far here is that the Falcons seem to have been much more effective at it in the first than the Bears ever were.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
What's interesting so far here is that the Falcons seem to have been much more effective at it in the first than the Bears ever were.

It's not that interesting, 95 percent of his career he was under offensive genius Lovie Smith.

The problem may well have been that Hester had to get let go before he'd change his work habits (whatever they were) to get better on O. We know he seemed to be limited on which plays he knew and always seemed to struggle to balance preparation for kick returns and offense

We deserved to lose that game, but it easily could have gone the other way. Just got away from us, unfortunately, and I'm not sure we could afford it to with this schedule. If Jay hits Alshon in the end zone in the second quarter and we have a better camera angle on that play at the end of the half, this game is entirely different. No excuses, because we couldn't get to Rodgers, but we could have been right in this game very easily.

The margin just isn't that big on the NFL, and we certainly aren't as bad as we looked today.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
We deserved to lose that game, but it easily could have gone the other way. Just got away from us, unfortunately, and I'm not sure we could afford it to with this schedule. If Jay hits Alshon in the end zone in the second quarter and we have a better camera angle on that play at the end of the half, this game is entirely different. No excuses, because we couldn't get to Rodgers, but we could have been right in this game very easily.

The margin just isn't that big on the NFL, and we certainly aren't as bad as we looked today.

Everything you say is right, but IMO everything just leads back to Rodgers >>>> Cutler, and there's nothing the Bears can do about that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Everything you say is right, but IMO everything just leads back to Rodgers >>>> Cutler, and there's nothing the Bears can do about that.

Rodgers > Cutler is moot if the Bears had a better defense and healthy WRs.

They let too many receivers get open for big passing plays.

The Packers aren't that much better as a team than Chicago - they just had a better game result Sunday.

Performances of note yesterday per PFF:

Top O:

Martellus Bennett (+6.4 overall, +4.0 pass)

Michael Ola (+5.2 overall, +3.5 run block)

Eben Britton (+1.8 overall, +1.6 run block)

Worst O:

Jay Cutler (-2.2 overall, -3.4 pass)

Alshon Jeffery (-1.6 overall, -1.2 rushing)

Brandon Marshall (-1.0 overall, -1.5 pass)

Alshon's rushing grade is a little bit of a head scratcher. I don't actually remember his rushes, but maybe I've just blocked it all out.

Top D:

Jon Bostic (+2.7 overall, +1.9 run defense)

Lance Briggs (+2.2 overall, +2.4 run defense)

Worst D:

Chris Conte (-2.7 overall, -3.0 pass coverage)

LaMarr Houston (-2.6 overall, -2.5 pass rush)

Stephen Paea (-1.3 overall, -0.9 pass rush)

Season leaders:

Best O:

Brian De La Puente (+7.4 overall, +5.6 run block)

Martellus Bennett (+7.1 overall, +6.2 pass)

Michael Ola

Kyle Long

Jermon Bushrod

Worst O:

Jordan Mills (-5.0 overall, -3.2 pass block)

Jay Cutler (-3.2 overall, -5.0 pass)

Santonio Holmes (-2.6 overall, -2.4 pass)

Top D:

Jay Ratliff (+5.3 overall, +3.7 run D)

Kyle Fuller (+4.9 overall, +4.6 pass coverage)

Jon Bostic (+3.1 overall, +3.0 run D)

Worst D:

DJ Williams (-4.9 overall, -2.1 run D)

Chris Conte (-2.7 overall, -1.8 run D)

Ego Ferguson (-2.6 overall, -1.0 run D)

Isaiah Frey (-2.3 overall, -2.9 pass coverage)

Positional notables around the league:

Top QB:

Rodgers

Top WR:

Jordy Nelson

Top RB:

DeMarco Murray

Top TE:

Larry Donnell

(4. Martellus Bennett)

Top OT:

William Beatty (LT)

Joe Barksdale (RT)

Top OG:

Michael Yanda

(6. Michael Ola

8. Kyle Long)

Top C:

Nick Mangold

(2. Brian De La Puente)

Top 4-3 DE:

Cameron Wake

Top 4-3 OLB:

Jelani Jenkins

Top 3-4 DE:

JJ Watt (he consistently gets scores so absurd that it makes all players look worthless by comparison)

Top 3-4 OLB:

Terrell Suggs

(5. Julius Peppers)

Top DT/NT:

Kyle Williams (Buffalo)

Top ILB:

Donta Hightower

(12. Manti Te'o)

Top CB:

Brandon Flowers

(6. Kyle Fuller

T22. Richard Sherman)

Top S:

Antoine Bethea

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Performances of note yesterday per PFF:

Top O:

Martellus Bennett (+6.4 overall, +4.0 pass)

Michael Ola (+5.2 overall, +3.5 run block)

Eben Britton (+1.8 overall, +1.6 run block)

Worst O:

Jay Cutler (-2.2 overall, -3.4 pass)

Alshon Jeffery (-1.6 overall, -1.2 rushing)

Brandon Marshall (-1.0 overall, -1.5 pass)

Alshon's rushing grade is a little bit of a head scratcher. I don't actually remember his rushes, but maybe I've just blocked it all out.

Top D:

Jon Bostic (+2.7 overall, +1.9 run defense)

Lance Briggs (+2.2 overall, +2.4 run defense)

Worst D:

Chris Conte (-2.7 overall, -3.0 pass coverage)

LaMarr Houston (-2.6 overall, -2.5 pass rush)

Stephen Paea (-1.3 overall, -0.9 pass rush)

Season leaders:

Best O:

Brian De La Puente (+7.4 overall, +5.6 run block)

Martellus Bennett (+7.1 overall, +6.2 pass)

Michael Ola

Kyle Long

Jermon Bushrod

Worst O:

Jordan Mills (-5.0 overall, -3.2 pass block)

Jay Cutler (-3.2 overall, -5.0 pass)

Santonio Holmes (-2.6 overall, -2.4 pass)

Top D:

Jay Ratliff (+5.3 overall, +3.7 run D)

Kyle Fuller (+4.9 overall, +4.6 pass coverage)

Jon Bostic (+3.1 overall, +3.0 run D)

Worst D:

DJ Williams (-4.9 overall, -2.1 run D)

Chris Conte (-2.7 overall, -1.8 run D)

Ego Ferguson (-2.6 overall, -1.0 run D)

Isaiah Frey (-2.3 overall, -2.9 pass coverage)

Positional notables around the league:

Top QB:

Rodgers

Top WR:

Jordy Nelson

Top RB:

DeMarco Murray

Top TE:

Larry Donnell

(4. Martellus Bennett)

Top OT:

William Beatty (LT)

Joe Barksdale (RT)

Top OG:

Michael Yanda

(6. Michael Ola

8. Kyle Long)

Top C:

Nick Mangold

(2. Brian De La Puente)

Top 4-3 DE:

Cameron Wake

Top 4-3 OLB:

Jelani Jenkins

Top 3-4 DE:

JJ Watt (he consistently gets scores so absurd that it makes all players look worthless by comparison)

Top 3-4 OLB:

Terrell Suggs

(5. Julius Peppers)

Top DT/NT:

Kyle Williams (Buffalo)

Top ILB:

Donta Hightower

(12. Manti Te'o)

Top CB:

Brandon Flowers

(6. Kyle Fuller

T22. Richard Sherman)

Top S:

Antoine Bethea

everytime you post this stuff, it makes me feel like these numbers are total bulls***. Bostic and Briggs graded positively? Alshon negatively? I read that Bostic, Briggs and Williams got a combined 9 tackles yesterday. Its like they watch a different game and apply grades however they want

And i dont mean that as a shot against you Jake, I just dont get what they are seeing

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Now I know why the Raiders let Houston walk. Nice player, but not worth anything close to the money he got.

He has definitely been Pedestrian for the money he got, at least the run defense has improved lol

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
Rodgers > Cutler is moot if the Bears had a better defense and healthy WRs.

They let too many receivers get open for big passing plays.

The Packers aren't that much better as a team than Chicago - they just had a better game result Sunday.

That's the 8th consecutive time that the Packers have had a better game result with Rodgers on the field.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
everytime you post this stuff, it makes me feel like these numbers are total bulls***. Bostic and Briggs graded positively? Alshon negatively? I read that Bostic, Briggs and Williams got a combined 9 tackles yesterday. Its like they watch a different game and apply grades however they want

It's about how multiple raters grade the impact of each player on each and every play. So each rater watches each player for each down and assigns a numeric value to what they did that play - most plays, a player gets 0. If there is disagreement on a given play, they have to work it out.

The reason Alshon's grade is low, now that I'm looking, is because he fumbled. Marshall gets a poor grade for having a drop and Cutler's general lack of success passing to him.

Grading defense is going to involve fewer concrete numbers, but they still use concrete criteria. Run D is going to involve doing things that affect the run game - did Bostic and Briggs read the play better than expected, fill the gap quickly and force the play to a different gap, blow up the lead blocker, etc. We did really well against their run game, you have to expect that somebody will be responsible in terms of being given credit.

One thing that PFF is willing to say is up for debate is the overall grade. So, Marshall and Jeffery were so fantastic grade-wise last year due in part to the fact that they were both in their own world in terms of run blocking as WR. You might not think run blocking is that important for a WR so you won't think their overall grade is as indicative of their ability as their pass game grade. You might think a nose tackle should have no influence on the pass rush whatsoever so you won't factor in his pass rush grade. Etc.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Its like Favre all over again, except a better version.

Except for most of the 80's and that brief mid 2000s when Favre got old and before Rodgers became Godgers, the Packers have owned our souls. It's gotten to the point where I don't really care anymore, I expect us to lose to them. Cutler has been absolutely horrid against them, it doesn't even matter if their defense is good or not, the idiot will throw interceptions in the worst possible moments of the game, ugh.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
It's about how multiple raters grade the impact of each player on each and every play. So each rater watches each player for each down and assigns a numeric value to what they did that play - most plays, a player gets 0. If there is disagreement on a given play, they have to work it out.

The reason Alshon's grade is low, now that I'm looking, is because he fumbled. Marshall gets a poor grade for having a drop and Cutler's general lack of success passing to him.

Grading defense is going to involve fewer concrete numbers, but they still use concrete criteria. Run D is going to involve doing things that affect the run game - did Bostic and Briggs read the play better than expected, fill the gap quickly and force the play to a different gap, blow up the lead blocker, etc. We did really well against their run game, you have to expect that somebody will be responsible in terms of being given credit.

One thing that PFF is willing to say is up for debate is the overall grade. So, Marshall and Jeffery were so fantastic grade-wise last year due in part to the fact that they were both in their own world in terms of run blocking as WR. You might not think run blocking is that important for a WR so you won't think their overall grade is as indicative of their ability as their pass game grade. You might think a nose tackle should have no influence on the pass rush whatsoever so you won't factor in his pass rush grade. Etc.

How do they account for mistakes and bad play? For example, if a team is generally a bad running team and the defense "plays well" against the run, do defenders still get a lot of positive credit for their performance?

The PFF grades are pretty bad, on both sides. All I know is Cutler made one real dumbass throw after looking great but I'm not ignoring the defense. PATHETIC. SMELLY. AWFUL. Refs were horrendous on both sides of the ball and we clearly couldn't overcome the lost momentum from what I thought was a TD at the end of the half. However, I agree it couldn't be overturned. Cutler missed an easy 6 to Alshon where we had to settle for a field goal.

The Marshall pick happens and if you watch other teams you realize it happens to them too where QB / WR aren't on same page. You just think it only happens to Jay cause you mainly watch Bears games. Happens less to guys that play a number of years in same system but it still happens to them too. Our pass rush and secondary were just brutal.

Bright side is running game got going and we are still 2-2 which is where I graded us. Huge game next week @ Carolina. They are going to bring everything given the past 2 weeks, kind of like we got out of GB this past week. The game was pretty much GB's season and Rodgers delivered. He's the best QB in the league, Cutler isn't going to beat Rodgers in a duel. Not going to happen. If we are going to win, we need our other units to show up.

I think there are a few positives from yesterday's game that were very encouraging.

Our run game looked awesome. A lot of misdirection pre-snap to keep the defense honest. Forte didn't get all the carries and Carey looked like a decent backup. One thing I absolutely hate about our offense is our lack of a short yardage bruiser. Forte's a finesse runner and not being able to convert third and short plays without throwing the ball is painful. We had the ball at the 1 yesterday and decided to throw instead of run. We get pushed back because of a false start and throw the ball 3 times. Instead of a easy TD, we get a FG.

Speaking of RBs...Eddie Lacy...so bad. He has no burst. If the o-line doesn't give him a huge hole to run through, he's going to get stuck at the line almost every time. He might have had 2 good runs yesterday against a pretty piss poor run defense. Against a good passing defense, the Packers would have been screwed yesterday with their horrible running game.