2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
The defense was easily the strongest part of the team today. I have no clue how you could watch this game and walk away saying the defense blew it. The offense would have scored ~13 points if not for the defense giving them field position and the defense gave up 2 TD that weren't clearly the product of turnovers by the offense.

Carolina's offense was really limited today. The defense did well to cause the turnovers but given that Cam can't run and he was missing all three of his regular running backs, they weren't particularly impressive.

The whole team laid an egg after the first quarter.

Couldn't afford to lose this one after the home loss to Buffalo.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'm going to say is I'd rather be running some mixture of journeymen/Orton/rookies out there for essentially no cost and miss the playoffs than pay Cutler more than Aaron Rodgers and miss the playoffs. We took the big bet on a non-horrible QB and it didn't work. Move on.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
All I'm going to say is I'd rather be running some mixture of journeymen/Orton/rookies out there for essentially no cost and miss the playoffs than pay Cutler more than Aaron Rodgers and miss the playoffs. We took the big bet on a non-horrible QB and it didn't work. Move on.

This is my only reason for being pissed. He DOES NOT DESERVE MORE THAN f***ING RODGERS AND THEY SHOULD HAVE LET HIM WALK.

IDK if anyone noticed, but pretty much all of Cutler's throws down the field were absolute crap today. Very inaccurate.

We dink and dunked the Panthers the entire first half and that worked. They figured out that's all we're going to run in the second half and shut our offense down.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
IDK if anyone noticed, but pretty much all of Cutler's throws down the field were absolute crap today. Very inaccurate.

We dink and dunked the Panthers the entire first half and that worked. They figured out that's all we're going to run in the second half and shut our offense down.

Early on, it seemed like we were just responding to the blitz but we continued to dink and dunk even with the pressure off. That pass to Holmes on the last drive looked like it had to hurt coming out like that

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)

I didn't really see any throws downfield.

I think they were trying to restore his confidence after last week, as well as protect the line a bit with Bushrod out. That was fine, except they never went away from it once the Panthers adjusted to it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
I didn't really see any throws downfield.

I think they were trying to restore his confidence after last week, as well as protect the line a bit with Bushrod out. That was fine, except they never went away from it once the Panthers adjusted to it.

Down field as in maybe 10-15 yards down field. They didn't take a deep shot all game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Down field as in maybe 10-15 yards down field. They didn't take a deep shot all game.

Well at one point he was 24-28. He threw the ball fine with the exception of the throw to Holmes that got picked off.

I didn't have a huge issue with Jay today. The issue I had was with the play calling once the Panthers started dialing in on Forte.

Kuechly frightened us away from that seam pass to Bennett much of the day, but we really did very little to get him more involved in the game plan.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)

In the second half Forte couldn't breathe without Kuechly all over him.

Someone mentioned last week that Cutler is a dumb QB, I don't think we can deny it at this point. You can surround him with a better line and more weapons, he can put up more yards and throw more touchdown. But he will never stop making dumb mistakes and causing turnovers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Mike Shannahan

Rick Dennison

Ron Turner

Mike Martz

Mike Tice

Lovie Smith

Jerry Angelo

Marc Trestman?

Aaron Kromer?

How long before we consider firing the QB?

Can you also list the linemen and WR's we have put around him to save his ass?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
Someone mentioned last week that Cutler is a dumb QB, I don't think we can deny it at this point. You can surround him with a better line and more weapons, he can put up more yards and throw more touchdown. But he will never stop making dumb mistakes and causing turnovers.

I feel like he almost just panics when he doesn't see anyone open and just forces throws.

It's so hard to get a measure on him. Sometimes he's great (see SF game), sometimes he's awful (see second half today and Packers game). It's just night and day with him at this point.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)

Admittedly I was a bit drunk and angry during the second half of the Packers game but I do stand by my words. There isn't much seperation physical tools wise between Jay and Aaron, albeit Rodgers is the more accurate passer. What seperates the two is football IQ, you can watch several Packers games and not once see Rodgers throw a 'WTF were you thinking throw', with Jay, it's a given he'll have 2-3 of those kinds of throws a game, case in point, his first INT, I don't care if there was a PI during the play, you don't throw into triple coverage, I don't care who the WR is, you just don't.

Frankly, I've underwhelmed by Jay's tenure as the Bears' QB. He's finally got weapons, a decent offensive line and an offensive minded HC, so why is he still making the same stupid mistakes? For the Cutler Crowd, it's always someone else's fault, at exactly what point are we going to start to realize that it just might be Jay?

He gets spoiled by the catching radius of Jeffery, Marshall and Bennett. Every now and then, he will try to force something when there's nothing there, and hope that his big receivers will somehow get to the ball. I think he will be a much better quarterback if he learns to just throw the ball away, and move out of pocket more often. Historically, his out of pocket QBR is over 100, and he's definitely agile enough to buy more time with his feet.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
Admittedly I was a bit drunk and angry during the second half of the Packers game but I do stand by my words. There isn't much seperation physical tools wise between Jay and Aaron, albeit Rodgers is the more accurate passer. What seperates the two is football IQ, you can watch several Packers games and not once see Rodgers throw a 'WTF were you thinking throw', with Jay, it's a given he'll have 2-3 of those kinds of throws a game, case in point, his first INT, I don't care if there was a PI during the play, you don't throw into triple coverage, I don't care who the WR is, you just don't.

Frankly, I've underwhelmed by Jay's tenure as the Bears' QB. He's finally got weapons, a decent offensive line and an offensive minded HC, so why is he still making the same stupid mistakes? For the Cutler Crowd, it's always someone else's fault, at exactly what point are we going to start to realize that it just might be Jay?

Rodgers also has much better pocket presence than Jay. He's willing roll out of pocket to let the play breakdown and buy more time. Cutler panics when the pocket collapses and fires that patented off the backfoot throw that misses the receiver by a mile.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
He gets spoiled by the catching radius of Jeffery, Marshall and Bennett. Every now and then, he will try to force something when there's nothing there, and hope that his big receivers will somehow get to the ball. I think he will be a much better quarterback if he learns to just throw the ball away, and move out of pocket more often. Historically, his out of pocket QBR is over 100, and he's definitely agile enough to buy more time with his feet.

He is what he is at this point. I like Jay and think he's a good(not great) QB but he's not going to improve dramatically at this stage of his career.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)
He is what he is at this point. I like Jay and think he's a good(not great) QB but he's not going to improve dramatically at this stage of his career.

He has the physical ability to play out of pocket, and he can always throw the ball away if nothing else. I think it's more so habits rather than ability that's keeping into from being a great quarterback. As to why he wouldn't change those habits, casual observers like me will never understand.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
I feel like he almost just panics when he doesn't see anyone open and just forces throws.

It's so hard to get a measure on him. Sometimes he's great (see SF game), sometimes he's awful (see second half today and Packers game). It's just night and day with him at this point.

That's the definition of a mediocre quarterback.

I don't hate the guy, but I've accepted the fact the Bears will never win a SB with Cutler at QB.