2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
All told, not a bad day for Bears. We still saw flashes of head-scratchingly bad play, but both sides of the ball can sleep well tonight. I assume special teams never sleeps at night

You wonder how that turd has a job. Seriously. Pathetic.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you think that a good offense for Jay is one where he is given less structure. He's had the most success in offenses that most resemble west coast offenses, and for good reason. He can't think on his feet. The more thinking that is done for him by the play design itself, the better. He sometimes makes fabulous plays when things break down and he has to get creative, but that's also when he comes up with inexplicably bad decisions

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't know how you think that a good offense for Jay is one where he is given less structure. He's had the most success in offenses that most resemble west coast offenses, and for good reason. He can't think on his feet. The more thinking that is done for him by the play design itself, the better. He sometimes makes fabulous plays when things break down and he has to get creative, but that's also when he comes up with inexplicably bad decisions

What we did most of this year was nothing but dink and dunk. If you think that is a strength for our QB, then well, to each their own, but that is not Jay's strength. Jay is not a good short range passer. His poor footwork makes him inconsistent on short reads but he tends to throw a much better intermediate and deep ball and when you use his legs and get him outside the pocket, he can be even better. We have literally done so little of that all year. I'm okay with short throws and am not saying you can't have any, but with what we have done most of the season, we have literally seen the same number of turnovers, etc (if not more) but not near the big plays and upside.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
So where is Rodgers going to rank on the all time QB list when he's done? He's the best I've ever seen, better than Peyton and Brady...

Since I started watching football, I'd take Rodgers over Marino, Favre, Brady and Manning in a heartbeat. Only QB I'd take over Aaron is Joe Montana, but ARodg is right there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
What we did most of this year was nothing but dink and dunk. If you think that is a strength for our QB, then well, to each their own, but that is not Jay's strength. Jay is not a good short range passer. His poor footwork makes him inconsistent on short reads but he tends to throw a much better intermediate and deep ball and when you use his legs and get him outside the pocket, he can be even better. We have literally done so little of that all year. I'm okay with short throws and am not saying you can't have any, but with what we have done most of the season, we have literally seen the same number of turnovers, etc (if not more) but not near the big plays and upside.

They have started dinking and dunking because Jay has been getting his ass kicked by zone defenses. I don't think Trestman has done a good job at all, but come on now, you think he actually chose to stop moving the ball downfield in large chunks just because? Cutler has thrown so many costly interceptions this season and most of them are due to his bad accuracy within a zone defense, he can't hit his guys in the windows. That's why Jay wants big receivers who can go up and get it, he doesn't have to worry about ball placement.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
They have started dinking and dunking because Jay has been getting his ass kicked by zone defenses. I don't think Trestman has done a good job at all, but come on now, you think he actually chose to stop moving the ball downfield in large chunks just because? Cutler has thrown so many costly interceptions this season and most of them are due to his bad accuracy within a zone defense, he can't hit his guys in the windows. That's why Jay wants big receivers who can go up and get it, he doesn't have to worry about ball placement.

Makes you wonder why the Vikings seemed to play a lot of man coverage yesterday

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Makes you wonder why the Vikings seemed to play a lot of man coverage yesterday

Absolutely. Zimmer even talked about it in his post game, it was really stupid for them to play that scheme and to his credit Trestman exploited it. It's no coincidence that they started throwing deep balls all game

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
Trestman doesn't seem to think that is a good idea. This takes away so many of his big plays by oversimplifying everything and making it about quick pre-snap reads, etc. I just think Jay is a very bad fit for what Trestman is trying to do but again, Jay has to stop giving the ball up so much anyway. I say trade him if we can or bring in a defense coach and figure with the weapons and a solid OC who focuses on the run, we can protect Jay enough if we can rebuild the D to be completive with Jay while we try to find a new QB.

By the way, this more just shows how bad Minny is then the Bears being all that good, imo. Jay had some awful turnovers in this game but at least he also had a number of very big plays and the offense appeared to be opened up quite a bit more. I still don't know where and why we don't run the ball more.

This really does make a great case that Jay is a coach killer. If Jay's such a bad fit for what Trestman does, and Jay's such a bad fit for what Martz does, and he's such a bad fit for what Mike Tice does...at the very least it seems incredibly tough to find a coordinator that Jay is a good fit for.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
This really does make a great case that Jay is a coach killer. If Jay's such a bad fit for what Trestman does, and Jay's such a bad fit for what Martz does, and he's such a bad fit for what Mike Tice does...at the very least it seems incredibly tough to find a coordinator that Jay is a good fit for.

He really seems to be the second coming of Jeff George. I fought it for a while, but I can't anymore

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)

Throw in Shanahan too.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
So where is Rodgers going to rank on the all time QB list when he's done? He's the best I've ever seen, better than Peyton and Brady...

That depends on how you value longevity.

If Rodgers was to get hurt next week and never play again, how would you rank him?

I need to see several more years before I'm going to compare his career to those of Manning and Brady.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Chiefs WR touchdowns - 0

J.J Watt receiving touchdowns - 2

How the hell have the Chiefs gone most of the year without a WR catching a touchdown. Also how are they 7-3 doing so.

They still haven't given up a rushing TD.

Their receivers also don't get a ton of chances since Alex Smith throws the ball like 15 times a game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
They still haven't given up a rushing TD.

Their receivers also don't get a ton of chances since Alex Smith throws the ball like 15 times a game.

Of those 15, 6 go to Kelce, 4 go to Charles, and 2 go to Davis.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Of those 15, 6 go to Kelce, 4 go to Charles, and 2 go to Davis.

I watch the Chiefs on a weekly basis since I own Kelce and Charles and they literally have 5-6 types of passing plays.

Sometimes they'll go to 10 yard routes with Bowe or Fasano/Kelce. They have check-downs to Charles. Then they also have screens for Thomas and Kelce. That's their entire passing offense.