2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I watched the pregame, caught the first few possessions where the Bears and Saints turned over the ball and literally fell asleep until there was about a minute left in the game, true story. I saw the ESPN guys rip into Jay so I knew he stunk up the joint and I was the least bit surprised. Jay isn't this bad, he's checked out mentally from this club, a change would be best for the Bears and also for him at this point, too.

The ESPN guys ripped into Jay for the first 80% but than at the back end they did compliment his work ethic and the amount of time he has started putting into this thing and how significantly his attitude has changed over the past couple years vs. the player he was early in his career. They than went back to, Mon-Sat you can do the right thing but it doesn't necessarily translate to Sunday. Dilfer even said he had that problem for a significant portion of his career.

I think whomever talked about trust hit it on the head. A QB needs to trust his play caller and situations and given how Jay is naturally untrusting and the experiences had during his career, he's even less willing to trust, which means he's never going to be entirely bought in at this point. Right now I don't think he trust much anyone inside the org and he certainly isn't comfortable so while he's putting in all the effort, etc, there is still that block in his head that he can't get past (and to be frank...with this coaching staff, I don't blame anyone for not trusting them cause they are a joke). Change of scenery would be beneficial but even than, I think he is what he is and what we have seen over the larger window.

Had he went someplace else after Denver or had the Bears ran things different early in his Chicago career (and gave him support than), maybe things turn out different but at this point, you are what you are. Kind of like David Carr...had he gone other places, he may very well have succeeded. Outside of those rare generational talents, I think the reality is the success of QB's is often heavily influenced by the people they work with and the front office and what they have done. Certain organizations, whether luck or not, seem to do a much better job at it.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Apparently even Bears ownership is getting pushed around at Soldier field.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/16/bea...by-saints-fan/q

From the ESPN article about this:

A Bears fan immediately came to McCaskey's aid, according to the team, and tackled the Saints fan.

Sign that man up!

Also, I think we know who that fan was...

I get that there are dumb teams, but there are also other QBs who are going to be available that are comparable to Jay who are going to be free agents. Frankly, I'd be OK with them looking at a guy like Locker, Bradford, or even Matt Moore, and that's not including the possibility of guys like Cam or Kaep who could eventually become available as well. Plus the Bills are going to have to do something extension wise for Dareus and Hughes in the next couple years too.

If Cutler were a free agent, it might make sense, but until he's released, I don't see anyone other than an absolutely moronic team trading for him. Again, I see him as the least valuable QB in the entire NFL. He's signed to a contract that's valued at that of an elite QB, even with only 2 more guaranteed years, he's never been viewed as anything more than a disappointment, and he's going to be coming off an absolutely atrocious year where seemingly all of the numbers he put up were in garbage time.

I don't feel he's the worst QB in the league, and as a free agent he'd be worth a shot because he's been an OK QB in the past, but given his contract and the season he's coming off, there's no way I'd even consider giving anything for him.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/16/gab...g-hasnt-worked/

Fantastic article, must read article, with a lot of insight he has collected from his contacts in the organization. I highlighted a couple key quotes below but this really is a must read and Gabriel hits everything right on the head. I keep saying, a lot of stories are going to come out when the Trestman era ends and they aren't going to be flattering.

In 2013, Trestman’s offense did a very good job, but in 2014, defenses adapted and adjusted. The result has been an underachieving offense. Trestman didn’t have an answer to the adjustments.

In talking to Bears players and former players, I keep hearing the same thing. They don’t respect Trestman as coach and a leader. They feel he worries too much about the little things that have nothing to do with football and not the most important thing, which is their performance on the field.

Another worry I have heard from players is the lack of accountability. While the players were told they were going to be held accountable for their off-field issues, they weren’t even held accountable for their on-field performance.

The players also had a leadership structure within the locker room. (Pre Trestman). When Trestman came in, Urlacher was phased out and, according to the players, Briggs and Tillman were more or less pushed aside as the team leaders. This didn’t sit well with Briggs, Tillman or others.

Little joys that the players had come to like were taken away for a time. For instance, there was always music blaring in the locker room. That was cut out. It wasn’t until both Tillman and Briggs pleaded with Trestman that music was brought back.

In all my years in football, I have never seen a coach thrown under the bus like Kromer was. It should have been handled strictly by Trestman in house. Having Kromer apologize to the players was a disaster. Kromer and the rest of the staff have lost all credibility and ability to lead the players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
Trade for Harbaugh

Heck yeah, get er done. Best news I heard was someone on ESPN radio this morning talking about harbaugh saying he isn't interested in GM'ing or any of that crap. He wants to implement his system in a place where he has a GM who supports him and works well with him but he has zero interest in handling all of the personnel moves and wants to focus on coaching. You also have to figure, if Emery is somehow saved, he'll do everything he can to make a big time splash as that is his best shot at staying around long term (especially after he went out on a limb with this last hire).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
You also have to figure, if Emery is somehow saved, he'll do everything he can to make a big time splash as that is his best shot at staying around long term (especially after he went out on a limb with this last hire).

Emery almost has to pick a overly safe person.

CBS Chicago's Dan Bernstein reports Bears coach Marc Trestman is expected to be fired at season's end.

Per Bernstein, GM Phil Emery's fate remains "undecided." Trestman was an exciting coaching prospect after a promising rookie year, but his offense has gone in the tank while his defense has completely gone off the rails. His offensive coordinator was caught serving as an anonymous source ripping quarterback Jay Cutler. Perhaps Trestman's fate would be different were Cutler playing better, but it's hard to see him getting a third year in the Windy City.

Source: Rotoworld

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
CBS Chicago's Dan Bernstein reports Bears coach Marc Trestman is expected to be fired at season's end.

Per Bernstein, GM Phil Emery's fate remains "undecided." Trestman was an exciting coaching prospect after a promising rookie year, but his offense has gone in the tank while his defense has completely gone off the rails. His offensive coordinator was caught serving as an anonymous source ripping quarterback Jay Cutler. Perhaps Trestman's fate would be different were Cutler playing better, but it's hard to see him getting a third year in the Windy City.

Source: Rotoworld

Merry Christmas Bears Fans!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Emery almost has to pick a overly safe person.

My list...which I think we all know starts with Harbaugh, goes onto expand to Cowher / Dungy / Gruden. There is absolutely no way I don't back channel and throw the keys to the kingdom to them. Outside of Harbaugh, I don't think the others would be interested, but what we need (especially because I do think we have more talent than our record) is a change of culture and any of these 4 guys would bring with them a total culture shock.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Heck yeah, get er done. Best news I heard was someone on ESPN radio this morning talking about harbaugh saying he isn't interested in GM'ing or any of that crap. He wants to implement his system in a place where he has a GM who supports him and works well with him but he has zero interest in handling all of the personnel moves and wants to focus on coaching. You also have to figure, if Emery is somehow saved, he'll do everything he can to make a big time splash as that is his best shot at staying around long term (especially after he went out on a limb with this last hire).

He will whip that locker room into shape. I dont see any other top notch coaches out there for the taking that arent huge questions marks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
My list...which I think we all know starts with Harbaugh, goes onto expand to Cowher / Dungy / Gruden. There is absolutely no way I don't back channel and throw the keys to the kingdom to them. Outside of Harbaugh, I don't think the others would be interested, but what we need (especially because I do think we have more talent than our record) is a change of culture and any of these 4 guys would bring with them a total culture shock.

As long as we have a defense first mentality I'm good with whomever, because we could probably pick a good OC, but a defensive minded HC is more important IMO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

After last night you can cross Gruden off. Pretty sure Tirico said that per his Espn contract he will not be coaching until the earliest 2021

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
After last night you can cross Gruden off. Pretty sure Tirico said that per his Espn contract he will not be coaching until the earliest 2021

bears will trade ESPN their next two 1st round picks for Gruden!

I don't really want Gruden, anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
If I told you back in August that the Bears would win 3 of their first 4 road games, including @ San Francisco and @ Atlanta, would you think there is any chance Trestman would get fired in December?

Not a chance.