2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
We'll he's apparently the starter so I think THATS crazy.

Who else are the Bucs suppose to start? Glennon is a backup at best. The Bucs will probably draft a Qb in the first three rounds and McCown will bridge that gap.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Who else are the Bucs suppose to start? Glennon is a backup at best. The Bucs will probably draft a Qb in the first three rounds and McCown will bridge that gap.

Glennon is only 24 and put up better raw numbers in his first year than McCown had ever put up excluding last year. I'm not a Bucs fan or anything, but it just seems harsh to call a 24 year old that just up a season with 19 Tds to 9 INTs a backup at best.

Also, previous to last season "backup at best" pretty much defined Josh McCown.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
A DL that includes: Houston, Allen, Melton, Collins, Ratliff and Paea will be pretty damn good unless there is absolutely no depth past that

What'd PFF have to say about Jason Babin? Any "under the radar" guys that graded out well that are still available?

Bears have a lot of fringe rotation DEs on their roster right now, I'm hoping Joe Kim can help those guys out and 1 emerges.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
3rd round pick I believe, another reason why Schiano and the old GM are out of football.

This just seems crazy to me. I can think of many, many QBs that were taken before the third and never put up a year like Glennon did last year. Maybe I've been a Bears fan for too long so I got used to trash at QB, but Bears fans would have probably been a bit excited if we drafted a 3rd round QB that up 19 TDs to 9 INTs in his second year.

I'm sure Schiano and the old GM were fired for a multitude of reasons, but drafting a guy like Glennon in the third should be pretty low on that list.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Glennon is only 24 and put up better raw numbers in his first year than McCown had ever put up excluding last year. I'm not a Bucs fan or anything, but it just seems harsh to call a 24 year old that just up a season with 19 Tds to 9 INTs a backup at best.

Also, previous to last season "backup at best" pretty much defined Josh McCown.

The only reason I like the signing of McCown is because now I wont have to see Glennon starting in 2014. I'd rather see the Bucs draft a QB at #7 if Manziel or Bortles is available and throw them into the fire from the start or draft Aaron Murray or the LSU kid in the 2nd/3rd round and let those two sit for a year and learn.

Glennon wasnt good. I watched every game of the Bucs and there is nothing that screams about Glennon being franchise type QB. Great, he had a 2-1 TD/INT ratio. He was also called Captain Checkdown for a reason. Glennon ranked 37th out of 37 QBs in yards per pass attempt. He is a statue back there with zero mobility to get outside of the pocket. An average arm with no accuracy throwing the ball down field. He still led the Bucs to the 32nd ranked offense last year.

As a Bucs fan, I have no problem with keeping Glennon around as a backup to fill in for a week or three if need be because of injury. But from the moment the new GM and Lovie was brought in, they have been basically telling the media Glennon wasnt going to be the future.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
The only reason I like the signing of McCown is because now I wont have to see Glennon starting in 2014. I'd rather see the Bucs draft a QB at #7 if Manziel or Bortles is available and throw them into the fire from the start or draft Aaron Murray or the LSU kid in the 2nd/3rd round and let those two sit for a year and learn.

Glennon wasnt good. I watched every game of the Bucs and there is nothing that screams about Glennon being franchise type QB. Great, he had a 2-1 TD/INT ratio. He was also called Captain Checkdown for a reason. Glennon ranked 37th out of 37 QBs in yards per pass attempt. He is a statue back there with zero mobility to get outside of the pocket. An average arm with no accuracy throwing the ball down field. He still led the Bucs to the 32nd ranked offense last year.

As a Bucs fan, I have no problem with keeping Glennon around as a backup to fill in for a week or three if need be because of injury. But from the moment the new GM and Lovie was brought in, they have been basically telling the media Glennon wasnt going to be the future.

Yeah, hard to argue. I don't know that McCown is going to be the savior or anything but at that price, I think it's a reasonable move. Have him bridge the gap like you said and build towards the future. Glennon may be capable of more but I don't think he's capable of significantly more.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)

McCown is a back up at best, with no upside like a 24 year old. It's stupid.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Yeah, hard to argue. I don't know that McCown is going to be the savior or anything but at that price, I think it's a reasonable move. Have him bridge the gap like you said and build towards the future. Glennon may be capable of more but I don't think he's capable of significantly more.

He'll be the 4th best QB in the NFC South by a wide, wide margin until Brees retires. Not going to make the playoffs many times when you're starting the worst QB in the division.

Manziel/Bortles/Murray or Mettenburger will be the 4th best QB in the division too in 2014 and probably 2015 if the Bucs draft them. But atleast there is the possibility of one of those 4 surpassing one of those guys in the next few years. Or at the very worst, they close the gap significantly between those three teams.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
He'll be the 4th best QB in the NFC South by a wide, wide margin until Brees retires. Not going to make the playoffs many times when you're starting the worst QB in the division. Manziel/Bortles/Murray or Mettenburger will be the 4th best QB in the division too in 2014 and probably 2015 if the Bucs draft them. But atleast there is the possibility of one of those 4 surpassing one of those guys in the next few years. Or at the very worst, they close the gap significantly between those three teams.

I agree with your points, but I think it makes more sense to start Manziel/Bortles/Murray immediately and let them learn on the fly, rather than pay McCown to start. With Lovie Smith as coach, the rookies won't be depended on to win football games alone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
No, this is not from the Heckler. Jason La CanforaVerified account ‏@JasonLaCanfora Browns cutting QBs today opens up a spot for Matt Schaub. If they don't get him, then Rex Grossman is the next man up

Is that an Onion headline?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:22 PM)
I agree with your points, but I think it makes more sense to start Manziel/Bortles/Murray immediately and let them learn on the fly, rather than pay McCown to start. With Lovie Smith as coach, the rookies won't be depended on to win football games alone.

I totally agree.

Maybe they like Murray or Mettenberger and want to bring them along slowly since they are coming off injuries.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Dammit, Schefter. When I saw the Browns cut Weeden I said to myself "He'll be the Bears backup this year." Come in here and see Schefter had that thought 7 hours before I even found out Weeden was cut. :lol:

I feel like a lot of people had this same thought. My brother texted me immediately after Weeden was released and said he could see the Bears signing him. I've never been a fan, but we could do far worse at the backup spot.

And don't feel too bad. It wasn't Schefter who tweeted it. It was Russ Lande tweeting at Schefter.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
I feel like a lot of people had this same thought. My brother texted me immediately after Weeden was released and said he could see the Bears signing him. I've never been a fan, but we could do far worse at the backup spot.

And don't feel too bad. It wasn't Schefter who tweeted it. It was Russ Lande tweeting at Schefter.

Pretty much my thoughts. Having the Quarterback Whisperer as the Head Coach makes finding a backup QB a little easier, I think. Both because he'll actually get more production out of the quarterback, and because it entices the QB to come here.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
Pretty much my thoughts. Having the Quarterback Whisperer as the Head Coach makes finding a backup QB a little easier, I think. Both because he'll actually get more production out of the quarterback, and because it entices the QB to come here.

Absolutely. If you're a QB who wants a chance at resurrecting a career, why wouldn't you want to come to Chicago and learn under Trestman? It should definitely help in our search to replace McCown.

I'm really interested to see what Emery and Trestman have in mind when it comes to drafting a QB and how high in the draft they'll reach for one. For sure the first 2 rounds are 100% defense, but i'd want to find out who they have in mind for the later rounds because as already mentioned, Trestman is a guru and I really hope he finds someone in the later rounds that might eventually really work in his system like he envisions. Personally I think he's using Cutler as a stop gap and IMO he's not the answer to winning a Superbowl. I think Trestman will end up drafting a quarterback to his liking and mold him into a mobile,accurate,efficient,and definitely smart football IQ QB (ala RW3,CK7,AR12)

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 06:37 AM)
I'm really interested to see what Emery and Trestman have in mind when it comes to drafting a QB and how high in the draft they'll reach for one. For sure the first 2 rounds are 100% defense, but i'd want to find out who they have in mind for the later rounds because as already mentioned, Trestman is a guru and I really hope he finds someone in the later rounds that might eventually really work in his system like he envisions. Personally I think he's using Cutler as a stop gap and IMO he's not the answer to winning a Superbowl. I think Trestman will end up drafting a quarterback to his liking and mold him into a mobile,accurate,efficient,and definitely smart football IQ QB (ala RW3,CK7,AR12)

I wouldnt hold my breath for a QB in this draft. Emery needs to think all defense all day, especially after just breaking the bank with Cutler and resigning Palmer. I think they will start thinking about grooming a QB when Cutlers guaranteed money goes away

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
I wouldnt hold my breath for a QB in this draft. Emery needs to think all defense all day, especially after just breaking the bank with Cutler and resigning Palmer. I think they will start thinking about grooming a QB when Cutlers guaranteed money goes away

The way Cutler's med history is going,that guaranteed money might end up flopping, I understand they're almost in like a transition/hybrid rebuild mode but they can't let this amazing WR core go to waste, it won't hurt to draft a 3rd/4rd QB,First 2 rounds are gonna be DL anyway, so that should immediately boost the D because Houston (hopefully allen and a healthy melton/ratfliff) plus someone like jernigan will already help out the secondary SUBSTANTIALLY. With that said, I don't think a QB in the later rounds too far out of the question.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
The way Cutler's med history is going,that guaranteed money might end up flopping, I understand they're almost in like a transition/hybrid rebuild mode but they can't let this amazing WR core go to waste, it won't hurt to draft a 3rd/4rd QB,First 2 rounds are gonna be DL anyway, so that should immediately boost the D because Houston (hopefully allen and a healthy melton/ratfliff) plus someone like jernigan will already help out the secondary SUBSTANTIALLY. With that said, I don't think a QB in the later rounds too far out of the question.

They arent really in a transition/rebuild mode as a team since their offense is built and is pretty high performing. As Bears fans we just arent used to turning over defensive players. With Lovie we were constantly "rebuilding" the offense.