2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
Bears move too slow, have no idea what they want :(

That is going to be the next test...how quickly and swiftly will we move. Thus far, while it would have been nice for a football czar, the reality is they did exactly what they absolutely needed to do, which was hire a football guy to help them find the next GM, who will clearly have full say over football matters (that much was obvious throughout the course of the press conference).

People who want to blast Ted, really don't understand his role, imo, and just want to hate on a hater. The reality is, the owners view him as a the CEO and he's very removed from the football decisions. The key to me is getting the right GM and the owners are always going to have final say on that (no matter who the owner is). The thing is, now they have someone who has been very successful in the past at bringing in head coaches (and has assisted in hirings of GM's as well) and also understands deeply what it takes to be successful as a GM.

The whole hiring a consultant thing started two weeks ago, which again, is much swifter than this franchise has ever moved in the past already. Everything I've seen so far is that this is going to be handled significantly different than past decisions (and that includes the fact that we acted quickly with the firing of our coach and GM).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
Being reported that Mike Shanahan actively wants bears job.

I'm sure his son would also be interested but Mike is publicly asking for it. I was glad that the Ted & George were very clear that the decision around Jay was going to be made by the football people brought in.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
That is going to be the next test...how quickly and swiftly will we move. Thus far, while it would have been nice for a football czar, the reality is they did exactly what they absolutely needed to do, which was hire a football guy to help them find the next GM, who will clearly have full say over football matters (that much was obvious throughout the course of the press conference).

People who want to blast Ted, really don't understand his role, imo, and just want to hate on a hater. The reality is, the owners view him as a the CEO and he's very removed from the football decisions. The key to me is getting the right GM and the owners are always going to have final say on that (no matter who the owner is). The thing is, now they have someone who has been very successful in the past at bringing in head coaches (and has assisted in hirings of GM's as well) and also understands deeply what it takes to be successful as a GM.

The whole hiring a consultant thing started two weeks ago, which again, is much swifter than this franchise has ever moved in the past already. Everything I've seen so far is that this is going to be handled significantly different than past decisions (and that includes the fact that we acted quickly with the firing of our coach and GM).

I disagree with you on Ted Phillips 100%..........................during press conference it was stated he is very much involved in the upcoming decisions as he was with Emery and Trestman. Below is what Hub Arkush had to say on Phillips.

Congratulations to the McCaskey family for acknowledging its mistake and not insisting on wasting another season. Sticking with Emery and Trestman would have made the situation worse.

The problem now is two-fold. First, it is critical that Ted Phillips, the principal architect of this mess, be kept completely out of the football side of the operation, specifically the hiring of the new GM and coach.

Most importantly, the new general manager should not come from within the organization or have any ties to the Bears last 25-plus years of dysfunction.

Rewarding their familiarity with Emery is what got the Bears into this mess in the first place.

There is a ton of bright young talent out there ready and dying to take on the challenge of the Bears. Bears fans have to hope George McCaskey knows how to find it

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
I disagree with you on Ted Phillips 100%..........................during press conference it was stated he is very much involved in the upcoming decisions as he was with Emery and Trestman. Below is what Hub Arkush had to say on Phillips.

Congratulations to the McCaskey family for acknowledging its mistake and not insisting on wasting another season. Sticking with Emery and Trestman would have made the situation worse.

The problem now is two-fold. First, it is critical that Ted Phillips, the principal architect of this mess, be kept completely out of the football side of the operation, specifically the hiring of the new GM and coach.

Most importantly, the new general manager should not come from within the organization or have any ties to the Bears last 25-plus years of dysfunction.

Rewarding their familiarity with Emery is what got the Bears into this mess in the first place.

There is a ton of bright young talent out there ready and dying to take on the challenge of the Bears. Bears fans have to hope George McCaskey knows how to find it

Yeah, Ted was very quick to point out that the GM decision was ultimately his, no the consultant's.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)

There was no reason for Phillips to be there. Let him fill whatever role he has in silence.

George and Ted hired Emery and Trestman. Neither should make a single football decision after getting Acorsi on board.

That press conference should have been five minutes long.

I give two s***s that Virginia is pissed.

Sounds like business as usual.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
I'm sure his son would also be interested but Mike is publicly asking for it. I was glad that the Ted & George were very clear that the decision around Jay was going to be made by the football people brought in.

I'm hearing that this is very possible to be the direction George wants to go.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)
you dont fire the assistants because if they get hired somewhere else, at least part of their contract under the bears is paid by the other team. if they just fire them outright today, the bears are on the hook for all of it. simple, standard business decision.

Thank you. Not sure why so many people don't understand this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
you dont fire the assistants because if they get hired somewhere else, at least part of their contract under the bears is paid by the other team. if they just fire them outright today, the bears are on the hook for all of it. simple, standard business decision.

sometime the owners will have to eat the whole contract if they want to clean house.

they are eating the contract of those head coach and others, it is the same thing.

cleaning house is the right way or in this situation, the only thing to do. the problem

is Jay Cutler, but they just paid a crap load of money to him in this past contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
sometime the owners will have to eat the whole contract if they want to clean house.

they are eating the contract of those head coach and others, it is the same thing.

cleaning house is the right way or in this situation, the only thing to do. the problem

is Jay Cutler, but they just paid a crap load of money to him in this past contract.

The house will be clean one way or another, the Bears are just looking to see if another team will pick up part of the contract of the remaining assistants

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)

These coaches will not be here next year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

I get that they passed on some good coaches and took the really bad one, but who is Rod Marinelli that he gets to rate the coaching prospects. He was one of the worst head coaches in the history of the league. 0-16.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I get that they passed on some good coaches and took the really bad one, but who is Rod Marinelli that he gets to rate the coaching prospects. He was one of the worst head coaches in the history of the league. 0-16.

It's not normal for the old DC to pick the new coach, instead of the new coach deciding on keeping the old DC??? Bears!

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)

and one of the most successful coordinators with a long history of being successful at building defenses. He is right there with Dick LaBeau.

Seems to me if that account is correct Marainelli was more attuned to the situation than the Bears organization was as he looks like a genius right now for stepping down and then getting promoted and turning that defense around.

That list of GM candidates is not really all that inspiring. This process seems to be going down the same road as the previous. Hire an inexperienced guy and hope he is qualified.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 31m31 minutes ago

Jay Cutler's future with #Bears will be tied to new GM and head coach. He's in limbo right now: http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football...ed-new-gm-coach

I wish my version of limbo involved another $35 million in guaranteed money.