2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
and one of the most successful coordinators with a long history of being successful at building defenses. He is right there with Dick LaBeau.

Seems to me if that account is correct Marainelli was more attuned to the situation than the Bears organization was as he looks like a genius right now for stepping down and then getting promoted and turning that defense around.

That list of GM candidates is not really all that inspiring. This process seems to be going down the same road as the previous. Hire an inexperienced guy and hope he is qualified.

Right there with Dick LeBeau? No. It's not even close.

Rod Marinelli is a good D-line coach, but that is about it. Definitely not some who you ask to rank possible head coaches.

Article also says he went on to have great success with Dallas. Cowboys are ranked 28th in sacks this year and are in the bottom half of the league in run defense. He's done a nice job there, but it's not like he has them crushing offenses.

Edited by GoSox05

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Right there with Dick LeBeau? No. It's not even close.

Rod Marinelli is a good D-line coach, but that is about it. Definitely not some who you ask to rank possible head coaches.

Article also says he went on to have great success with Dallas. Cowboys are ranked 28th in sacks this year and are in the bottom half of the league in run defense. He's done a nice job there, but it's not like he has them crushing offenses.

Their defensive line sucks though.

Anyway, the point of it is why were the Bears force feeding Marinelli to every HC option, also allowing Marinelli the feeling he was picking successor, and pick the coach who will keep Marinelli but not the coach marinelli wants, and LOSE ALL OF THEM.

I think Emery did that way too much when he was GM. Asking other people's opinion.

Having Marinelli rank the coaching candidates. Asking Cutler his opinion on who they should hire, hell they even had Jay interview with some of them.

He was the GM, he should of told them what's up.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
and no reason at all to go with the completely atypical "have our current DC interview you!" route if you're just going to ignore him anyway.

Emery was going to hire Trestman no matter what, i dont know why he made such a sham out of the interview process but good lord did he ever.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I think Emery did that way too much when he was GM. Asking other people's opinion.

Having Marinelli rank the coaching candidates. Asking Cutler his opinion on who they should hire, hell they even had Jay interview with some of them.

He did, he hired Trestman

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
The point is that there was one more reason to go with the obvious choice in that situation, Arians.

Must not have been a good interviewer.

#bearsinterviewprocessisembarassing.

It would be awesome to get another NFL team in town. Force the Bears to actually run the organization competently or face a huge loss.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Wasn't Decosta the one who turned down the Bears interview a couple of years ago?

I would like a run at him, yes he turned down before, but he is Ozzie Newsome's successor and I do not believe he will leave. He may be off of our list because he has already told Acorsi.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)

After viewing teh entire process last time, I am glad they brought in a real GM to give them a better point of view on how to handle things.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
I would like a run at him, yes he turned down before, but he is Ozzie Newsome's successor and I do not believe he will leave. He may be off of our list because he has already told Acorsi.

a few call in guests over the past week have said that he is waiting for Newsome to retire, the agreement is already in place that he will take the job when Ozzie leaves.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
So how does no word of Mel Tucker getting canned come down today? Or did I miss it?

Also, I'd love to wind up with Jack Del Rio. I've always loved that guy. More candidates here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...otogallery.html

Del Rio would probably keep Mel Tucker, his most recent defensive coordinator.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Del Rio would probably keep Mel Tucker, his most recent defensive coordinator.

i kind of doubt that he is gonna keep the D coordinator that presided over the terrible defense that in part got Del Rio fired

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
i kind of doubt that he is gonna keep the D coordinator that presided over the terrible defense that in part got Del Rio fired

Maybe it would be better to say he might WANT Tucker.

The last full season Del Rio was HC was the first that he allowed Tucker to call the plays on defense. They were ranked 5th by DVOA, and 6th in yardage, 7th by PFF. It was arguably the best defense he ever had as a head coach

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Maybe it would be better to say he might WANT Tucker.

The last full season Del Rio was HC was the first that he allowed Tucker to call the plays on defense. They were ranked 5th by DVOA, and 6th in yardage, 7th by PFF. It was arguably the best defense he ever had as a head coach

Year before that it was 28th, and 2009 was 24th ranked. last year Bears was 30th, this year it was 31st, Cleveland was a dumpster fire, 30th

So which is the abberation

Why is this even a discussion really. Tucker was terrible this season, he had his chance to try different things all season and he did nothing but put up the worst season in Bears history. The team was completely unprepared and terribly coached

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer·

Baltimore's Eric DeCosta drawing big NFL interest. Jets asking again, after a hard run in '13. Bears unlikely as long as Phillips is there.

Wow, this right here shows how bad it is having Ted Phillips involved in football decisions in any capacity.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer·

Baltimore's Eric DeCosta drawing big NFL interest. Jets asking again, after a hard run in '13. Bears unlikely as long as Phillips is there.

Yep no surprise they will hire Ballard who is from the Angelo/Emery tree and ex 12 year Bear employee, who will not rock the boat and Phillips survives again. Sucks to expect real change with the McCaskey's