2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
that's a stunted tree

Hell yes it is, but the Bears will put a bow on it and call him the new sheriff. Meet the new boss same as the old boss 101.

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Yep no surprise they will hire Ballard who is from the Angelo/Emery tree and ex 12 year Bear employee, who will not rock the boat and Phillips survives again. Sucks to expect real change with the McCaskey's

Nothing has changed with this organization. Emery and Trestman were complete failures, there really was no other choice there. I am glad the 91 year old woman was even able to realize that. She has seen two championships since Sid Luckman retired. She should have been pissed decades ago not now.

Somehow the media portrayed George McCasky as being the decision guy now. Wasn't he overseeing things when Emery was hired as well as Trestman.

Nothing will change here, an under-qualified head coach and general manager will be hired and in five years they too will be fired. Virginia and the Queen of England can then begin another search for greatness after they are no longer pissed off.

What a family of losers at least Wrigley left but he got to keep his name on the stadium and the other delusional cheap family dinosaur died.

Virginia McCaskey could give two s***s about how successful the Bears are.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
Can I nominate Tom Clements for HC?

I wish the Packers hadn't denied us when Lovie wanted to interview him as OC several years ago. I like Clements a lot. Think he would have been good for us.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 12m12 minutes ago

So the #Bears list of interview requests for coaches (at least known for now) includes: Adam Gase and Todd Bowles.

What concerns me about this is that we don't have a GM in place. I don't know if they are just trying to be proactive so that when we do hire a GM, we already have permission to interview these guys. Or if we're going to try to hire a GM and Head Coach separately. That usually isn't smart. Let the GM pick his coach.

On that note, I love some Todd Bowles. I hear good things about Gase, but I'm also not sure how much of that offense is him vs Peyton. I already know the answer: a big portion of it is Peyton. Of course, that doesn't mean Gase is a bad coach either. People had the same concerns about McCoy and he's done well with San Diego. Completely turned around Rivers' career.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
What concerns me about this is that we don't have a GM in place. I don't know if they are just trying to be proactive so that when we do hire a GM, we already have permission to interview these guys. Or if we're going to try to hire a GM and Head Coach separately. That usually isn't smart. Let the GM pick his coach.

On that note, I love some Todd Bowles. I hear good things about Gase, but I'm also not sure how much of that offense is him vs Peyton. I already know the answer: a big portion of it is Peyton. Of course, that doesn't mean Gase is a bad coach either. People had the same concerns about McCoy and he's done well with San Diego. Completely turned around Rivers' career.

One thing about Gase is that since the broncos have a bye-week I believe he's technically actually allowed to interview this week but not next.

Possible someone could interview him and have a hire lined up during that period if the Bears don't at least show interest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
One thing about Gase is that since the broncos have a bye-week I believe he's technically actually allowed to interview this week but not next.

Possible someone could interview him and have a hire lined up during that period if the Bears don't at least show interest.

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into not having a GM. Frankly we may have to wait 5 weeks for some of those guys. Would you really prefer we not interview them at all?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 05:18 AM)
Don't the Raiders need somewhere to go?

that will be great another football team and no to the raiders.

here i been thinking how would it be if chi / western subs got

another baseball team. either one, would be interesting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)

This is correct. These guys with the bye can be interviewed now. If you don't do it now, you may have to wait 3 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

So, statistically, Cutler's season was virtually identical to Phil Rivers. Rivers threw for 17yds/game more, but the rest is pretty similar (including tying for most INTs).

Rivers choked away a playoff birth against a Chiefs team that was completely beat up. Yet, Rivers is a media darling. He's a great leader, teammate, husband, father,....

So much of the analysis of these players is based on media perception of their personalities. I'm not making excuses for Cutler. I don't have much confidence in him, but I wouldn't have much confidence in anyone not named Brady or Rodgers.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

So, statistically, Cutler's season was virtually identical to Phil Rivers. Rivers threw for 17yds/game more, but the rest is pretty similar (including tying for most INTs).

Rivers choked away a playoff birth against a Chiefs team that was completely beat up. Yet, Rivers is a media darling. He's a great leader, teammate, husband, father,....

So much of the analysis of these players is based on media perception of their personalities. I'm not making excuses for Cutler. I don't have much confidence in him, but I wouldn't have much confidence in anyone not named Brady or Rodgers.

A quarter to a third of Cutlers good stats came at the end of blowout games

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
Two observations:

1) Cutler is not good

2) There aren't many, if any options that are better than Cutler

Probably true, but if you can trade him for picks and try to find a QB for the future in the draft, or find some journeyman until next year's draft and put that money in other places, I think you do it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Maybe it would be better to say he might WANT Tucker.

The last full season Del Rio was HC was the first that he allowed Tucker to call the plays on defense. They were ranked 5th by DVOA, and 6th in yardage, 7th by PFF. It was arguably the best defense he ever had as a head coach

Even if the new coach wanted Tucker, there is no way he comes back as DC. Too huge of risk. Whether it is fair or not, Tucker is the one being blamed for the defensive problems. If he came back and that unit still sucked, the hit the Bears would take would be enormous.

according to the Twitters, Bears showing GM interest in Eric DeCosta, Marc Ross(will interview), Chris Ballard(will interview), Head coach interview requests are out for Adam Gase(Denver OC), Dan Quinn (Seattle DC), Todd Bowles(Arizona DC), Gary Kubiak

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Probably true, but if you can trade him for picks and try to find a QB for the future in the draft, or find some journeyman until next year's draft and put that money in other places, I think you do it.

Would people be interested in Winston if he's available at pick 7?