2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
And what has having Brandon Marshall got us? What did having Megatron get the Lions for all those seasons (and all the money they paid him). Even this year, you think they made the playoffs cause of Calvin (he missed a good chunk of the year and did fine)? And Megatron is a good dude and obviously elite, but bottom line there is a heck of a lot more to it than stats and a lot of the elite wideouts more often than not don't make the playoffs.

Having a defense certainly helps

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Having a defense certainly helps

Reality is having a QB, strong lines, and a good football team is far more important. Spending big money on wideouts is statistically foolish, with very rare exceptions, imo. And in the case of the Bears, the amount we will have to pay to all these wideouts and skill position players is even more foolish. If we didn't have Jeffrey and Bennett, I might be signing a different tune but when we have the others I think the power of the statement of moving Marshall could and would be very strong. I think the same thing about moving Jay (although I don't think jay is some cancer...not in the least..I also don't think he's a huge leader).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Want to know whats motivating? Drafting/scouting for your job

I wonder if this is true - not the motivating aspect so much as whether it's best. If you need to maximize the likelihood that your guy doesn't bust and is successful right away, you may not be doing the best job. It's a risk-taking profession.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
I think that comes from people who are close to the situation. There are sources from within that are saying things like this.

Lance Briggs walked out on him last year when he started ranting in the locker room and telling Gould to sit down and shut up because he was just a kicker. You think that is acceptable and not a cancer in anyway? I really havent decided myself on what I hope to happen with Marshall but if Pace has heard enough from the people on the team (believe he is going to do his research) that Marshall is a detriment and trade/release him I would be fine with that. They arent a playoff team for the next year anyway.

Lance Briggs was a huge cancer to the team this year, so the way he interacted with Brandon is not very convincing to me. Nobody b****ed more, tried less, and actively undermined the new coaches more than Lance. Good riddance.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
Bottom line, the most successful coaches, manage everyone the same damn way (not necessarily same message, but the ego's and dollars are checked at the door and the best players win and everyone is disciplined and held to the same standards).

Jimmy Johnson cut a guy for falling asleep in a meeting (John Roper?). He was asked what he would have done if it was Troy Aikman, and Johnson said he would have woken Troy up.

Not everyone is treated the same, nor should they be.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/55409...-legend/page/23

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)
Jimmy Johnson cut a guy for falling asleep in a meeting (John Roper?). He was asked what he would have done if it was Troy Aikman, and Johnson said he would have woken Troy up.

Not everyone is treated the same, nor should they be.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/55409...-legend/page/23

Thats actually hilarious.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
AJ, Rodman, 90% of the '85 bears, etc. were/are douchebags. If they play well, we all don't care and neither do their teammates.

Meh, I'm not at the point where I'll just forgive Brandon Marshall for beating on his woman. Sorry, take all the pills you want, that's still you. As far as I am aware AJ and Rodman did not pound women.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
Meh, I'm not at the point where I'll just forgive Brandon Marshall for beating on his woman. Sorry, take all the pills you want, that's still you. As far as I am aware AJ and Rodman did not pound women with their fists.

fixed

I can care less about his personality, if the bears are rebuilding and they can get something for him, let him go. Even if they don't wanna rebuild for long, I still think swapping BM for a deep threat could really benefit the offense.

I think Wilson could be a solid WR, but I'm not sure he'll be a deep threat. Alshon has already surpassed BM IMO, esp. When you consider age. IMO a deep ball home run hitter to open the middle of the field is what this offense needs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
I can care less about his personality, if the bears are rebuilding and they can get something for him, let him go. Even if they don't wanna rebuild for long, I still think swapping BM for a deep threat could really benefit the offense.

I think Wilson could be a solid WR, but I'm not sure he'll be a deep threat. Alshon has already surpassed BM IMO, esp. When you consider age. IMO a deep ball home run hitter to open the middle of the field is what this offense needs.

It is what the receiving core needs but the offense needs an oline more than anything.

Wow, very surprised in regards to the BMarshall stuff. Nary a soul complained about the guy for the last few years. Now all the sudden he's back to a woman beater and a whack job.

Honestly, with as much of a mess that this locker room has been recently, I'm not comfortable judging anyone as a "cancer" because the entire damn team seemed dysfunctional.

Meh, I'm not at the point where I'll just forgive Brandon Marshall for beating on his woman. Sorry, take all the pills you want, that's still you. As far as I am aware AJ and Rodman did not pound women.

Didn't she come out and say all of that was not true? Her family made her call the cops?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
Wow, very surprised in regards to the BMarshall stuff. Nary a soul complained about the guy for the last few years. Now all the sudden he's back to a woman beater and a whack job.

Honestly, with as much of a mess that this locker room has been recently, I'm not comfortable judging anyone as a "cancer" because the entire damn team seemed dysfunctional.

I don't see him as a bad person or anything. I just don't think his presence in the locker room is ideal for a team rebuilding in search of a whole new identity. If they suck again next year, I don't see him just quietly going along for the ride.

White knight alert

I am disappoint

Edited by MexSoxFan#1