2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Schefter's piece (jerk move, I know but I read it on my phone and can't find where he stored it) on the Broncos and their cap. Makes you really mad at how poorly the bears have drafted. For all of this "spending spree" they are still in fine shape with 31 players on their rookie contracts on the team. Meanwhile...the Bears.

No matter how good our FA signings and re-signings continue to perform, this team is screwed until we get a draft pick worth a damn.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I read Schefter's piece (jerk move, I know but I read it on my phone and can't find where he stored it) on the Broncos and their cap. Makes you really mad at how poorly the bears have drafted. For all of this "spending spree" they are still in fine shape with 31 players on their rookie contracts on the team. Meanwhile...the Bears.

No matter how good our FA signings and re-signings continue to perform, this team is screwed until we get a draft pick worth a damn.

The Broncos have been one of the best drafting teams in the league, plus having Manning and then hitting on Von Miller makes it a lot easier to build. When you have impact talents like that, it makes the jobs of everyone else on the team a lot easier. The same thing can be said about the Packers, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots, whoever, you name them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

Just look at the dominant team in the NFC North. Most of their roster has never played for another team.

I mean, I know. This isn't a surprise to me. Well, 31 players is a surprise to me. But it is amazing on the other hand how few would probably be on the BEars roster. Have we even had a UDFA that's done a damn thing for us in years? Sanzenbacher?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Just look at the dominant team in the NFC North. Most of their roster has never played for another team.

Letroy Guion and Julius Peppers are the only players that came from other teams.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Letroy Guion and Julius Peppers are the only players that came from other teams.

Good Scouting and some luck to pick and plug players, that's why the packers are able to remain atop the division

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)

They've drafted and signed incredibly well, but having #12 back there has been a huge part of that.

Greg Jennings signed a huge free agent contract with the Vikings. He put up 68/804/4 in his first season in Minnesota, 15 games. Jarrett Boykin was an injury replacement who played in all 16 games but only started 8. On the year, he put up a 49/681/3.

That's your Aaron Rodgers effect.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I mean, I know. This isn't a surprise to me. Well, 31 players is a surprise to me. But it is amazing on the other hand how few would probably be on the BEars roster. Have we even had a UDFA that's done a damn thing for us in years? Sanzenbacher?

I think once Manning retires, their "ingenious" drafting will look a little less genius. Similar to Rodgers in GB, having possibly the best QB in the history of the game really can hide bad drafting.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
I think once Manning retires, their "ingenious" drafting will look a little less genius. Similar to Rodgers in GB, having possibly the best QB in the history of the game really can hide bad drafting.

But they were a playoff team before Manning with possibly the worst QB in the history of the NFL starting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
But they were a playoff team before Manning with possibly the worst QB in the history of the NFL starting.

They were, and a lot of the pieces of that epic defense are gone(cromartie, Bailey, DJ Williams, Dumervil) or getting older and injured frequently(Von miller).

Right now they are setting everything up for a window of two years. After that, Elway will really have to roll his sleeves up because there will be some players like Julius and Demarius that will be needing to get paid

Bears have brought in a lot of safeties, I still think they draft one, I'm just not sure about the first round anymore.

Maybe I just want Calvin Pryor to fall to the Packers.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Bears have brought in a lot of safeties, I still think they draft one, I'm just not sure about the first round anymore.

Maybe I just want Calvin Pryor to fall to the Packers.

I definitely think they still need to draft one. Seems that Emery is just going to throw a bunch of safeties out there and hope that a few stand out, providing some depth. But I would like to think that HCD and Pryor are viable options for the Bears at 14.

A guy I like a lot is Kenny Ladler from Vanderbilt. He's a projected mid-round guy, though.

Edited by dasox24

Haven't heard anything about the money involved, but it's only a 1 year deal for Melton. Hope he got paid because I'm going to be pretty disappointed in Emery if it's something like a 1 year, $4M deal.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:38 AM)
Haven't heard anything about the money involved, but it's only a 1 year deal for Melton. Hope he got paid because I'm going to be pretty disappointed in Emery if it's something like a 1 year, $4M deal.

Schefter said it was a multi year deal. I'm shocked...cowboys had very little to spend.

Rapaport said it'll be a 1 year deal with an option.....Another tweet, from one of those guys, said he was only asking for 4 mill. So ya, I too will be disappointed if it is indeed just the 1/4 deal.....Esp. if they can't land Donald, or whoever they do get to play the 3T doesn't get after the QB like the Bears need em to.