2014-2015 NFL Football thread

I agree, my kneejerk reaction was as most, knowing the warts of a coach is somehow so much worse than imagining the unknown will be perfect.

But Fox, in addition to having done it well twice, has hired some excellent coordinators.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
Fox and Del Rio would work for me.

The Broncos have three all-pro defensive backs. They know how to develop talent.

Del Rio will get the HC job in Oakland. I think Fox would bring Dennis Allen as his DC. Not sure who the OC would be.

Yeah i'm not seeing anything great either. On the one hand you can say he "rebuilt" Carolina and took a 1 win team to a Superbowl in 2 seasons, but that same team was pretty crappy the rest of his tenure there. And then he lucked into a playoff off team with a top ten defense adding the best or 2nd best QB to ever play the game. Of course they were going to have some success.

I think it would be a good hire, but nothing exciting. But maybe that's just what the Bears need. Some veteran coach that knows how to run a pro-team.

I think people underestimate how often talented teams get completely mishandled by coaches in the NFL. You don't luck into a playoff team. San Fran was a sleeping giant for forever, you couldn't understand how they were 6-10 under a coach.

Jake Delhomme went from good QB to one of the worst QBs in the world and the were stuck with him for a while.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
I think people underestimate how often talented teams get completely mishandled by coaches in the NFL. You don't luck into a playoff team. San Fran was a sleeping giant for forever, you couldn't understand how they were 6-10 under a coach.

Jake Delhomme went from good QB to one of the worst QBs in the world and the were stuck with him for a while.

So you're saying they dramatically overpaid a QB and had to figure out how to deal with that several years in a row? Hmmm...I wonder if there's a comparison I could come up with for that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)

He had a lot of injuries, including Tommy John surgery.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
So you're saying they dramatically overpaid a QB and had to figure out how to deal with that several years in a row? Hmmm...I wonder if there's a comparison I could come up with for that.

Honestly, there is a pretty clear expiration for Cutler, and this defense needs SO much help.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
He had a lot of injuries, including Tommy John surgery.

I did not know that. Man, he was terrible. They had a pretty bad GM toward the end, whoever the person was to sign d'angelo williams to a big extension with Tolbert.

That playoff game vs. Arizona was epically terrible

I think the only way the Bears hire their next head coach this week, is if it is John Fox. If it is any other coach, I don't anticipate them hiring him until next week, once Pace has had a chance to meet with Quinn. Just my 2 cents. I do think they will hire Fox and it will happen pretty quickly (I think by Friday...most likely Thursday).

I think the only way the Bears hire their next head coach this week, is if it is John Fox. If it is any other coach, I don't anticipate them hiring him until next week, once Pace has had a chance to meet with Quinn. Just my 2 cents. I do think they will hire Fox and it will happen pretty quickly (I think by Friday...most likely Thursday).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Serious question, who was the last great young coach.

Based on recent super bowls I'd guess someone with the last name Harbaugh?

Maybe Tomlin thrown in there with a win and an appearance as well.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Serious question, who was the last great young coach.

Gruden?

I know it's a long shot theory but just thought it was the route they may go.

How old is Bowles?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Based on recent super bowls I'd guess someone with the last name

Harbaugh?

Maybe Tomlin thrown in there with a win and an appearance as well.

Definitely agree with Tomlin and Harbaugh

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Definitely agree with Tomlin and Harbaugh

The Steelers have had some pretty "meh" teams under Tomlin too though. Reality is I want to change the shape and culture and I think Fox would very much do that. I also think at his age, he isn't worried about having powerful and knowledgeable assistants and top assistants would love to work with him (knowing their is a form of job security). I really think he'd be a tremendous hire.

For example, this Bears offense alone should have been enough to be a .500 team in this NFL.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Harbaugh yes Tomlin is close although I kind of want to see what happens with LaBeau being gone. Tomlin landed in a nice position there.

The guy that came to me was McCarthy.

Tomlin impressed me getting to playoffs this year. He did move into a posiiton with a loaded defense, franchise QB, and the best d coordinator in the business.

That team is in transition and hasn't been drafting lights out, but they are getting there once again under him.

But ask any steeler fan and he's only a winner because of LeBeau.