2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
The balls were not gone, they were used the whole game. The NFL was alerted of the issue which is why the balls were taken after the game. In the normal course of events the balls are taken by the teams after the game.

In regard to the officials, during he course of the game it is not something they will check. As teams are hurrying to get plays off, how would you think if there was an unfounded delay for the checking and rechecking of he balls. This is unchartered territory and the reality is the officials are going to put their faith in the teams and ball boys to do the right thing.

Teams may want to see how Gase does without Manning. What better way to see than to work with Cutler. Gase or Cutler will be selling cars in two years.

They were checked at halftime by the league and determined to be underinflated. Why the hell would they continue to use those balls? That would just be ludicrous and make me question the point of checking the PSI levels.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
They were checked at halftime by the league and determined to be underinflated. Why the hell would they continue to use those balls? That would just be ludicrous and make me question the point of checking the PSI levels.

If they were allowed to keep using them by the refs then it's pretty clear the NFL just doesn't care, or didn't before it became a headline.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
If they were allowed to keep using them by the refs then it's pretty clear the NFL just doesn't care, or didn't before it became a headline.

Which again makes it even more pointless and goes back to the point that most all the players don't think it is a big deal. And this, oh the Colts player picked it and noticed it. Lets not act like that is the first time a Colts player would have touched the ball. They pick up lose balls all the damn time. Think of how many times during a Lovie Smith Bear game we'd see the Bears pick up a ball that came loose. I realize Bears did it more than most but every team goes after those 50/50 balls or balls that come out after being tackled. Refs touch the ball a million times.

Seems to me that 1, it probably isn't that critical to the rules (other than certain QB's have different preferences...Brady likes it under-inflated apparently where as Rodgers prefers it over-inflated) and/or the NFL just doesn't really care all that much. I still don't buy that the balls were used in the 2nd half. Not after the Colts lodged a complaint. I view this as one of those, you try to get whatever advantage you can and you make the other team call you out on it. If they don't, fine, if they do, than you adjust back to whatever it is. Happens all the time in baseball, etc. Someone trying to steal signs. Pitcher wearing something to distract a batter. Etc.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
Teams may want to see how Gase does without Manning. What better way to see than to work with Cutler. Gase or Cutler will be selling cars in two years.

Jay isn't getting another coach fired, not in Chicago. If Gase makes Jay look good, than it is a major coup. If Cutler plays like he always has, the story will not be negative on Gase, it will be, well that is who Jay is and the Bears will transition to a new QB (not a new coach).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Is "2 pounds of air" that noticeable? If I'm looking at a tire gauge, is this like seeing 38 register rather than 40?

Yes, but I believe the balls should be between 12.5 & 13.5, so percentage wise it is more significant than 38 vs. 40.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Is "2 pounds of air" that noticeable? If I'm looking at a tire gauge, is this like seeing 38 register rather than 40?

You have to consider the container, 2 lbs of air is HUGE in my road bike tires, next to nothing in my jeep.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
I wonder if someone really could easily feel the difference between a 10.5 psi ball and a 12.5 psi ball. You don't visually notice your tire's low until it's around 20 psi or so down from 30-35.

I imagine it as a ball pumped all the way up to the point where it feels like it can explode compared to a ball that's pumped up but you can tell there's room for a bit more air. I think it's akin to that.

Having played with both, the latter is way easier to catch and throw, even if your spirals are a little wobbly at times.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
I imagine it as a ball pumped all the way up to the point where it feels like it can explode compared to a ball that's pumped up but you can tell there's room for a bit more air. I think it's akin to that.

Having played with both, the latter is way easier to catch and throw, even if your spirals are a little wobbly at times.

I really don't know...I think that is a personal thing...and it certainly might be affected by weather conditions. Also keep in mind the Pats short passing game and the velocity at which those passes are being thrown from short distances.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Good point on bike tires, I'm just wondering what this actually felt like. I think some people think it would have felt 2lbs lighter.

yeah, it's 2 psi less pressure, not that the ball weighs 2 pounds less. The actual weight difference is probably less than 1/100th of a pound.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
I really don't know...I think that is a personal thing...and it certainly might be affected by weather conditions. Also keep in mind the Pats short passing game and the velocity at which those passes are being thrown from short distances.

Yep. Every QB has their own personal preference. Some like the balls overly pumped (i.e., Aaron Rodgers).

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
Brilliant is being very generous.

Since his first two years at ND, he really hasn't had any success.

He had a lot of success in his one year at KC. Matt Cassel made the probowl with him and the Chiefs had the #1 rated rushing offense in the league that same season. As a HC, he's crap, but as an OC, he's elite.

I really do not want Weiss because he is an egomaniac and a prick but right now I have to trust Fox. If he didn't feel that Weiss was the best man for the job he wouldn't hire him. Putting together a staff is one thing I am sure Fox will do well in.