2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
FWIW the Vikings are denying they ever promised to make it public. And I have to believe them unless Kluwe or his attorney comes up with written confirmation of that. That's something you're going to memorialize and not just keep as an oral promise.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11218287...ct-mike-priefer

Also, LOL at his lawsuit. Sadly the PR hit will probably be too big for the Vikings and the League so i'm sure they'll settle, but that case has no shot unless Kluwe admits he's gay. Not sure how religion plays into this, and there was no defamation. Tortuous interference is possible, but he was not under contract at the time was he? I don't remember.

I'm not sure if the Vikings ever promised to release the report to the public, but I do think they promised to release the report to Kluwe. Now they're not doing either. According to a "source" the Vikings backtracked because the report came up with some pretty damning stuff.

I honestly never thought his release was solely, or even substantially, about Kluwe's politics. It was about what it always is -- money. He wasn't good enough to justify making what he was due. Even if their rookie punter was worse, he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. Now, once the Vikings decided to release him from a money/performance perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if also getting rid of what they may have viewed as a distraction was an added bonus. Frankly, the Twin Cities culture is incredibly LGBT friendly (at least as much as one can be, sadly), so Kluwe's views weren't as much of a "distraction" as they might have been somewhere else.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
I'm not sure if the Vikings ever promised to release the report to the public, but I do think they promised to release the report to Kluwe. Now they're not doing either. According to a "source" the Vikings backtracked because the report came up with some pretty damning stuff.

I honestly never thought his release was solely, or even substantially, about Kluwe's politics. It was about what it always is -- money. He wasn't good enough to justify making what he was due. Even if their rookie punter was worse, he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. Now, once the Vikings decided to release him from a money/performance perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if also getting rid of what they may have viewed as a distraction was an added bonus. Frankly, the Twin Cities culture is incredibly LGBT friendly (at least as much as one can be, sadly), so Kluwe's views weren't as much of a "distraction" as they might have been somewhere else.

Like I said, I thought that too until this week. The Vikings investigation should have been a straightforward football discussion that they'd have no problem releasing to anyone. The fact that they have a problem releasing the report means that Kluwe's release wasn't a straightforward football discussion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Like I said, I thought that too until this week. The Vikings investigation should have been a straightforward football discussion that they'd have no problem releasing to anyone. The fact that they have a problem releasing the report means that Kluwe's release wasn't a straightforward football discussion.

I don't think it necessarily means that much.

Suppose that that assistant coach really did make that "send all the gays to an island and nuke it" comment. That doesn't necessarily make it more likely Kluwe was released because of his activism, but it does make the Vikings look awful enough to backtrack on releasing the report.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)

I don't think it was about disagreeing with his politics, I think it was just him being so outspoken was becoming a "distraction" in their eyes. He plays one of the least important positions. He was getting older, his salary was increasing, which made him much easier to replace for football reasons. As he challenged politicans and spoke to every media outlet and was loud on social media, I think the team just said, enough, you are a punter, stop bringing all this extra attention to the team. We will bring someone in at half the salary and at least 90% of the production and they will be much quieter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
I don't think it was about disagreeing with his politics, I think it was just him being so outspoken was becoming a "distraction" in their eyes. He plays one of the least important positions. He was getting older, his salary was increasing, which made him much easier to replace for football reasons. As he challenged politicans and spoke to every media outlet and was loud on social media, I think the team just said, enough, you are a punter, stop bringing all this extra attention to the team. We will bring someone in at half the salary and at least 90% of the production and they will be much quieter.

I look at it this way -- if Kluwe was a better punter and/or cheaper, they could have (and would have) put up with any perceived distractions. But he wasn't, so he was getting released even if he was the quietest guy in the locker room. Getting rid of those perceived distractions was a bonus for them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)

And all of this is fine, this sort of thing happens, players get cut for being distractions and declining skills. The Priefer stuff is what is wrong and unnacceptable, though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
And all of this is fine, this sort of thing happens, players get cut for being distractions and declining skills. The Priefer stuff is what is wrong and unnacceptable, though.

Agreed -- but I don't think that necessarily played into their decision to release him. It just means they have a bigoted asshole on their staff.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
I look at it this way -- if Kluwe was a better punter and/or cheaper, they could have (and would have) put up with any perceived distractions. But he wasn't, so he was getting released even if he was the quietest guy in the locker room. Getting rid of those perceived distractions was a bonus for them.

He's a punter though. Unless you're Shane Lechler, the line between you and the next guy is awfully slim. I honestly think the distractions were more than a bonus, they were part of the reason, but it was easily marked off as a football decision.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)

Absolutely. I don't think that specifically played a part in his release though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
He's a punter though. Unless you're Shane Lechler, the line between you and the next guy is awfully slim.]/b] I honestly think the distractions were more than a bonus, they were part of the reason, but it was easily marked off as a football decision.

Right. And Kluwe was due 1.45 million for 2013. Because the line between him and some rookie is awfully slim, why wouldn't the Vikings want to save that money?

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Right. And Kluwe was due 1.45 million for 2013. Because the line between him and some rookie is awfully slim, why wouldn't the Vikings want to save that money?

Which would put him just above the middle of the pack of all punters in the league. You are right, from a football standpoint it makes complete sense to cut him. Just had everything been the same minus the distractions, I still think they may have kept him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Which would put him just above the middle of the pack of all punters in the league. You are right, from a football standpoint it makes complete sense to cut him. Just had everything been the same minus the distractions, I still think they may have kept him.

You very well might be right. With the facts we have, can't say for certain one way or the other...which gets back to the point of wanting access to this report. ;)

I swear I had seen something months ago that the Vikings would allow Kluwe access to the report, but maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
Sounds like you need some kind of mac/apple device, of which I have none.

I don't think that's true.

It's being reported by an Apple website, but the Sunday Ticket site they link to makes no mention of Apple devices.

It just states "NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV lets you stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console."

If this is true, it's pretty awesome.

Though, I wonder why game consoles are more expensive than any other option.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Though, I wonder why game consoles are more expensive than any other option.

That's simple, actually. It because they know if you are streaming it to your video game system (connected to your HD TV), you might be doing so in place of having a satellite subscription.

Incorrect. The report is from an Apple-centric site, but the "compatible tablets" on the DirectTV page includes Android devices.

OK, good to hear. I still probably won't get it. Between the 6 Bears games that are national broadcasts and at least 4-5 more that I'm likely to get regionally, it's not worth $200. Might pay $50-80 to get just the Red Zone channel if that were an option.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
That's simple, actually. It because they know if you are streaming it to your video game system (connected to your HD TV), you might be doing so in place of having a satellite subscription.

But how is that different than a laptop or tablet?

Or are you saying that a video game system requires use of the TV, while if you have it on your laptop you could still be using your TV to watch cable (or satellite) tv?

I just thought the whole point of this was to sell NFL Sunday Ticket to non satellite subscribers, so no matter what I use to view it, they aren't getting anything more from me.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
But how is that different than a laptop or tablet?

Or are you saying that a video game system requires use of the TV, while if you have it on your laptop you could still be using your TV to watch cable (or satellite) tv?

I just thought the whole point of this was to sell NFL Sunday Ticket to non satellite subscribers, so no matter what I use to view it, they aren't getting anything more from me.

These companies still have issues with offering their content on devices connected to TVs (consoles/AppleTV/Roku). If it's on a TV, they want you to view it OTA or buy their cable/satellite package. If it's just on a mobile device, they can kind of feel a little better about it. They are extremely fearful of the digital future and fighting it as best they can.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Last year if you bought the anniversary Madden game for XBox through Amazon, they gave you a code to use for Sunday Ticket on your device. I got it for my nephew, he's a big Giants fan.

It was only for last year though. That's why I got the $99 Anniversary edition.

I might consider the $199 package. At the worst, I can cast the stream from my computer or phone to my Chromecast.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
OK, good to hear. I still probably won't get it. Between the 6 Bears games that are national broadcasts and at least 4-5 more that I'm likely to get regionally, it's not worth $200. Might pay $50-80 to get just the Red Zone channel if that were an option.

Yea, I'm torn. I am most likely moving to near Iowa City this summer. The major broadcast station is based out of Cedar Rapids, so it can flip between Bears/Vikings/Packers. I"m not sure I could guarantee I'd get all of the Bears games as "regional"