2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
If you beat your wife, does your employer suspend you or take part of your pay check?

If you get caught driving drunk or shoot yourself in the leg, does your employer suspend you or take part of your pay check?

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
1620742673_532dd66d_mind_blown_xlarge.jp

I'm serious, smart ass.

That's why the fines are lower. One is an action which directly affects his performance on the field of play and another is one which affects his personal life.

The fact that the League feels the need to fine these guys at all for stuff occurring in their personal lives is ridiculous to begin with.

What is the point of a $58k fine to begin with? The guy makes millions of dollars. You think if common sense and decency isn't enough to stop the guy from beating his wife in public, a $58k fine is?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
I'd probably lose my ability to get and maintain security clearances, so I'd probably be fired.

And that's because we don't want assholes around nuclear reactors and s***.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
You're right. Beating your wife is not technically against the NFL rules so it makes total sense that the punishment is less severe.

I said nothing like that. I was contesting the implication that Mathis got 4 games for something innocent/benign, not agreeing with the 2 game suspension for Rice.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I said nothing like that. I was contesting the implication that Mathis got 4 games for something innocent/benign, not agreeing with the 2 game suspension for Rice.

I'd feel more sympathetic towards Mathis if Manny Ramirez didn't already get busted for Clomid.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
I'm serious, smart ass.

That's why the fines are lower. One is an action which directly affects his performance on the field of play and another is one which affects his personal life.

The fact that the League feels the need to fine these guys at all for stuff occurring in their personal lives is ridiculous to begin with.

What is the point of a $58k fine to begin with? The guy makes millions of dollars. You think if common sense and decency isn't enough to stop the guy from beating his wife in public, a $58k fine is?

Frankly, it's the same thing for marijuana. If I got a DUI right now, I'd probably have to have a sit down with my bosses and there would be several bureaucratic hoops I'd have to jump through, but I'd retain my job. But if my urine tested positive for marijuana ONE TIME, no matter if it's legal in some states, decriminalized in others, and otherwise not harmful, I'd be fired on the spot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
If you beat your wife, does your employer suspend you or take part of your pay check?

If I did what Blackmon or Rice did, I would lose my job. 100 percent positive

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
Frankly, it's the same thing for marijuana. If I got a DUI right now, I'd probably have to have a sit down with my bosses and there would be several bureaucratic hoops I'd have to jump through, but I'd retain my job. But if my urine tested positive for marijuana ONE TIME, no matter if it's legal in some states, decriminalized in others, and otherwise not harmful, I'd be fired on the spot.

Unless you got the DUI for marijuana...then you'd be double screwed :)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
If I did what Blackmon or Rice did, I would lose my job. 100 percent positive

I doubt anyone would know about it if you were just Kyle and not a professional athlete.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
I doubt anyone would know about it if you were just Kyle and not a professional athlete.

No, my job let us know upon hire that anything crime related is constantly searched. Basically, if my name comes up on a police blotter, HR knows when it happens.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)

Hypothetically, let's say you were to beat your wife in a Vegas hotel elevator and have the incident recorded on camera. Then every Vegas TV station got a hold of it, played it over and over again, while mentioning your name and your employer. Would your employer take punishment out on you? If not, you got a hell of a job.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
No, my job let us know upon hire that anything crime related is constantly searched. Basically, if my name comes up on a police blotter, HR knows when it happens.

Well, you're in fraud protection.

Obviously criminal acts are more closely related to some professions than others.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)

I can kind of see the difference there though, despite thinking it's dumb. DUI's aren't usually willful violations. You can have a few beers legally and drive. But you might be drunker than you think, and then it suddenly becomes illegal. With pot there is no grey area. It's always illegal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
I can kind of see the difference there though, despite thinking it's dumb. DUI's aren't usually willful violations. You can have a few beers legally and drive. But you might be drunker than you think, and then it suddenly becomes illegal. With pot there is no grey area. It's always illegal.

Im curious how this works in Colorado and Washington now

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Hypothetically, let's say you were to beat your wife in a Vegas hotel elevator and have the incident recorded on camera. Then every Vegas TV station got a hold of it, played it over and over again, while mentioning your name and your employer. Would your employer take punishment out on you? If not, you got a hell of a job.

Ok, of course you guys are now going to bust out like every different situation.

The point is, the law punishes people for illegal acts. Obviously, some of these acts make continued employment a bit more difficult than others. What I don't think we want, is employers deciding to double-up or piggyback off of the penalties, fines, etc., that the legal system is already dishing out.

Take people with s***ty credit, for instance. Some employers are now running credit checks just like they've traditionally run background checks. For people getting into jobs where they are making decisions over vast sums of money, yes, I can see how this is relevant. But for most jobs? Not particularly relevant.

Anyways, I guess my point is that I understand why some of the fines for off the field incidents are not as stiff as some of those that affect the integrity of the game itself or of performance, despite being morally more offensive.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Ok, of course you guys are now going to bust out like every different situation.

The point is, the law punishes people for illegal acts. Obviously, some of these acts make continued employment a bit more difficult than others. What I don't think we want, is employers deciding to double-up or piggyback off of the penalties, fines, etc., that the legal system is already dishing out.

Take people with s***ty credit, for instance. Some employers are now running credit checks just like they've traditionally run background checks. For people getting into jobs where they are making decisions over vast sums of money, yes, I can see how this is relevant. But for most jobs? Not particularly relevant.

Anyways, I guess my point is that I understand why some of the fines for off the field incidents are not as stiff as some of those that affect the integrity of the game itself or of performance, despite being morally more offensive.

We aren't talking about other jobs though, every job has its own criteria and function and should be treated differently. This is a huge billion dollar league that the entire country watches, kids, adults, everybody. It might be the most popular entertainment source in the country. They have an opportunity to make a bit of a moral stand and instead you have a coach happy that "kids will now learn that actions have consequences." Gimme a break.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
We aren't talking about other jobs though, every job has its own criteria and function and should be treated differently. This is a huge billion dollar league that the entire country watches, kids, adults, everybody. It might be the most popular entertainment source in the country. They have an opportunity to make a bit of a moral stand and instead you have a coach happy that "kids will now learn that actions have consequences." Gimme a break.

Yeah, well, if we want it to be the National Morality Football League, then we can just sign up the guys on the straight & narrow.

But that's not what they want. They want it to include the best athletes on earth. Sometimes, those guys aren't always the best people.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
Yeah, well, if we want it to be the National Morality Football League, then we can just sign up the guys on the straight & narrow.

But that's not what they want. They want it to include the best athletes on earth. Sometimes, those guys aren't always the best people.

Yet they ran a guy out the league for bullying.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Yet they ran a guy out the league for bullying.

Yeah, well some of these things are moves they are forced to make because of overwhelming public pressure.

There have been plenty of guys who have been involved in things like vehicular manslaughter who were suspended and then allowed to return.