2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Yet Bennett is the one suspended. Why, because he's already had a few of these incidents. You practice undisciplined and you play undisciplined. Look how that worked for the Lions. Teams that are undisciplined are penalized and tend to lose a lot of games.

So you think training camp fights correlate to penalties in the regular season?

That would mean the Lions have more training camp incidents that anyone in the league right? Or they just have 2 extremely dirty players.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
So you think training camp fights correlate to penalties in the regular season?

That would mean the Lions have more training camp incidents that anyone in the league right? Or they just have 2 extremely dirty players.

I think being undisciplined in camp leads to issues in the game. It is why you practice. You lose tempers in practice why wouldn't you in the game and when you do, you get flagged 15 yards for a personal foul. Thankfully Trestman has sent a hard message so clearly he was pretty fed up with this too (in fact he was pissed about it two fights ago and made a huge deal about it).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I think being undisciplined in camp leads to issues in the game. It is why you practice. You lose tempers in practice why wouldn't you in the game and when you do, you get flagged 15 yards for a personal foul. Thankfully Trestman has sent a hard message so clearly he was pretty fed up with this too (in fact he was pissed about it two fights ago and made a huge deal about it).

I think there is zero correlation between camp fights and penalties in the regular season. Zero.

Bennett overreacted by slamming Fuller which was stupid, but thats about all I saw. Fuller would have been flagged on the play first.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I think there is zero correlation between camp fights and penalties in the regular season. Zero.

Bennett overreacted by slamming Fuller which was stupid, but thats about all I saw. Fuller would have been flagged on the play first.

I would disagree. There is a correlation between how a coach runs a team and how the team plays. If the coach just lets things happen and doesn't keep his team disciplined, I think that type of play carries over. It's not just the fights though. It's how disciplined they are during the entire practice. I think Trestman finally had enough of the non-football crap and sent a message.

Fuller made a play that would have been a penalty. However, if the same situation happened in a game the offense would not get the benefit of the penalty because Bennett gets one as well for the level of retaliation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
I would disagree. There is a correlation between how a coach runs a team and how the team plays. If the coach just lets things happen and doesn't keep his team disciplined, I think that type of play carries over. It's not just the fights though. It's how disciplined they are during the entire practice. I think Trestman finally had enough of the non-football crap and sent a message.

Fuller made a play that would have been a penalty. However, if the same situation happened in a game the offense would not get the benefit of the penalty because Bennett gets one as well for the level of retaliation.

I dont think he retaliates in a game situation, since its an actual game and not practice. A vet knows the difference, a rookie may not. Trestman is definitely one of the more professional type coaches that doesnt like the extra s***, there are some coaches in the NFL that would encourage it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
I dont think he retaliates in a game situation, since its an actual game and not practice. A vet knows the difference, a rookie may not. Trestman is definitely one of the more professional type coaches that doesnt like the extra s***, there are some coaches in the NFL that would encourage it.

I'm not so sure about him not doing it in a game. Trestman obviously, saw enough in it or in repeated behavior to punish Bennett. I don't think Trestman does things on a knee jerk reaction basis.

i think the the fights and the intensity is a good thing on a limited basis. The coaches which encourage it too much are the more undisciplined teams. With the way the NFL is calling penalties now, that type of play really doesn't work.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
I'm not so sure about him not doing it in a game. Trestman obviously, saw enough in it or in repeated behavior to punish Bennett. I don't think Trestman does things on a knee jerk reaction basis.

i think the the fights and the intensity is a good thing on a limited basis. The coaches which encourage it too much are the more undisciplined teams. With the way the NFL is calling penalties now, that type of play really doesn't work.

Show me where he has done something like this in a game?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...Ma00/penalties/

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
IIRC Bennett scrapped with some DBs last year too

Yea there have been rumors since last year that he rubs teammates the wrong way with his "sense of humor." I doubt he's very well liked with some, if not most of his teammates, but he produces so I'm sure they deal with it. I was more impressed with Cutler pulling the rookie Fuller to the side and telling him not to worry about it. That kind of stuff you didn't see with Jay 3-4 years ago.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Given that Bennett was suspended indefinitely, it makes me think there is something more going on other than this one fight.

Emery actually said "An undetermined length of time." But the media is saying indefinite. Undetermined could mean he could write him a sorry note today and be back tomorrow. Indefinite means the same but for some reason people seem to think its a longer period of time. It means they dont know yet or it wasnt stated.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Yea there have been rumors since last year that he rubs teammates the wrong way with his "sense of humor." I doubt he's very well liked with some, if not most of his teammates, but he produces so I'm sure they deal with it. I was more impressed with Cutler pulling the rookie Fuller to the side and telling him not to worry about it. That kind of stuff you didn't see with Jay 3-4 years ago.

Best part of the video, nobody is running with that story since it doesnt jive with the media perception of Cutler.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)

When you practice like that, you play like that.

Actual quote without the media adding their own opinion

This is a process that we’re working with Martelllus on,” Emery said. “We are in contact with him. Our goal is to have Martellus back as soon as possible. He’s a loved and respected teammate and we want him back. But it’s a process that we’ll have to work with.”

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Show me where he has done something like this in a game?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...Ma00/penalties/

Maybe he hasnt gone to that extreme yet but the coaches are obviously worried enough about it to punish him and they know more about the situation than we do. They punished him not Fuller so they are worried about something with him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
Maybe he hasnt gone to that extreme yet but the coaches are obviously worried enough about it to punish him and they know more about the situation than we do. They punished him not Fuller so they are worried about something with him.

Or its easier to send a message to the team that even a respected Vet can be punished for behavior they dont think fits a contending team. Theories abound even with the hard evidence he's never done that in a game, ever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
Yet he has no history of playing like that in a game. Hmmmm.

All I know is he's had multiple incidents this camp and Trestman, who is a pretty composed guy, has thought it was important to send the message. It is also just a bad example to everyone else. You see one guy get away with it and then maybe you lose your temper and go, its okay. It can be a very contagious issue. I think Trestman has handled it and hopefully Bennett responds well. By the way, I really like Martellus.

I think Martellus is beloved by his teammates. Fuller cheapshotted him and I think whatever it was he said to Martellus made him lose his cool. Trestman is in the right to punish Martellus for losing his cool so easily.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Or its easier to send a message to the team that even a respected Vet can be punished for behavior they dont think fits a contending team. Theories abound even with the hard evidence he's never done that in a game, ever.

So what if he hasn't done it in a game. He bodyslammed his teammate, a guy the Bears need. What if he fractured his clavicle? The boys will be boys defense wouldn't work.

Putting an end to it before something like that happens is the goal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
So what if he hasn't done it in a game. He bodyslammed his teammate, a guy the Bears need. What if he fractured his clavicle? The boys will be boys defense wouldn't work.

Putting an end to it before something like that happens is the goal.

Because if you read the thread the worry was it would carry over to penalties in a game of which I responded he has no history of it. It was part of a conversation than lasted more than one post.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Because if you read the thread the worry was it would carry over to penalties in a game of which I responded he has no history of it. It was part of a conversation than lasted more than one post.

Even though Bennett has never had a personal foul in a regular season game, discipline is discipline. And that's not to say he isn't a 15 yard penalty at the wrong time waiting to happen, and an ejection away from hurting the Bears offense.

But if the goal is to win a Super Bowl, body slamming the team's #1 pick isn't going to be tolerated, and shouldn't be.

Edited by Dick Allen