2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
That will never happen because the owners will lose a home game if so. Also, that's not the Zach Miller you are thinking of. He's on Seattle still.

My bad.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
Watching the replay of the game on NFL Network right now. I know, I know, it's just preseason, but I'm encouraged by the performance of the 1st string defense.

I did the same. The tight ends Miller and Rosario both looked good as did the wideouts and Jimmy Clausen.

So, the special teams.

I've read a bit recently that Decamillis' system is complicated and may be reason foe the mistakes. If that's the case, maybe don't use a complicated system on the part of the team with 70% turnover every year. He's awful.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
So, the special teams.

I've read a bit recently that Decamillis' system is complicated and may be reason foe the mistakes. If that's the case, maybe don't use a complicated system on the part of the team with 70% turnover every year. He's awful.

It's ok, Green Bay has the Zooker as a special teams coach. There's no way the Bears can be worse.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
So, the special teams.

Decamillis is a gigantic train wreck. He was awful last year and I can't believe he got a reprieve. I can see excuses for Tucker a year ago but those excuses didn't exist for decamillis.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Decamillis is a gigantic train wreck. He was awful last year and I can't believe he got a reprieve. I can see excuses for Tucker a year ago but those excuses didn't exist for decamillis.

I dont know about that, you would think the depth problems last season would trickle down to Special Teams the worst. Any depth the bears had was removed from Special teams and elevated to defense, and ST was running out some terrible players

Im not saying Decamillis is great by any standard, but if Tucker gets a reprieve from injuries and depth issues, then Decamillis should too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
I dont know about that, you would think the depth problems last season would trickle down to Special Teams the worst. Any depth the bears had was removed from Special teams and elevated to defense, and ST was running out some terrible players

Im not saying Decamillis is great by any standard, but if Tucker gets a reprieve from injuries and depth issues, then Decamillis should too.

Bears weren't exactly pulling those guys off special teams. They were doing both and the unit still kept some of the standouts from the previous era. Bad penalties, bad execution. Everything I saw out of the unit a year ago was one that was undisciplined and poorly coached. Joey D is the type of coach that could cost the Bears wins. I wanted Tucker gone too but from about the 3rd week on last year I was railing about how awful Joey D was and I presume it will be more of the same this year, but I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I've heard that the special teams practices don't look that good and that the performance on fan night a week ago was really ugly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Bears weren't exactly pulling those guys off special teams. They were doing both and the unit still kept some of the standouts from the previous era. Bad penalties, bad execution. Everything I saw out of the unit a year ago was one that was undisciplined and poorly coached. Joey D is the type of coach that could cost the Bears wins. I wanted Tucker gone too but from about the 3rd week on last year I was railing about how awful Joey D was and I presume it will be more of the same this year, but I hope I'm wrong.

Having to do both means you can't focus on doing one and you have to deal with playing more per game. Not saying that I want him kept around or anything, but you can't say that it doesn't affect anything.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)

Bostic, Greene, Bowman, Bass, Frey all were special teamers that played significant time on defense, and they were replaced by a ton of nobodies like Jerry Franklin, Derrick Martin, Christian Tupuo, and CJ Wilson.

It was bad all around. I am all for turning the heat up on Tucker AND DeCamillis this season to get their s*** together, but not one or the other.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I miss Toub too. You just never really think that a coach for such a fluid unit (personnel wise) could make that much of a difference, but you know KC has noticed it.

I always knew we were spoiled. Its going to be what happens when Cooper retires or leaves us.

I miss Toub too. You just never really think that a coach for such a fluid unit (personnel wise) could make that much of a difference, but you know KC has noticed it.

By far the #1 reason for the demise of ND football transitioning from the Holtz era to the Davie era was the firing of offensive line coach Joe Moore. OL is a very underrated part of a football team, and Joe was absolutely the best there was. Look up how many ND OL got drafted from 87-97 compared to 98-08.

Things i am watching/watching for tonite

1. Zach Miller, is he the real deal or a pre season stud? TEs have to be able to block in this system

2. Kyle Long back in the starting lineup

3. Bostic and McLellin, how many snaps, and how good/bad are they within those snaps

4. Clausen vs Palmer. IMO Clausen can seal this up tonite with a good showing. The Bears need Fales to make the team as a 3rd QB, i highly doubt they can sneak him onto the practice squad. If Palmer falters tonite, i think he is among the first cuts

5. Need to see more out of the running game, and the offensive line.

Really re: Fales? I don't think there will be much hand wringing there. By the time fales is dropped another player on a nother team will be cut for this guy that there will be limited tape of. I doubt he would get picked up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Really re: Fales? I don't think there will be much hand wringing there. By the time fales is dropped another player on a nother team will be cut for this guy that there will be limited tape of. I doubt he would get picked up.

I dont think Emery would want to risk losing a draft pick for nothing, since he hasnt really had a stellar drafting record yet.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)

Fales will be on the 53. He will not make it to the practice squad. The Bears will keep 3 QB's on the roster.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Things i am watching/watching for tonite

1. Zach Miller, is he the real deal or a pre season stud?

lol, do you really need a preseason game to answer this question that has definitively been answered over his career? Dude's 30.