2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Sam and Lynch not making practice squads makes the Mizzou and NIU fan in me sad.

i am a bit surprised that Sam hasnt signed yet. He actually showed that he can play at this level in the preseason

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
i am a bit surprised that Sam hasnt signed yet. He actually showed that he can play at this level in the preseason

He's limited since he can't really play in a 3-4 and a lot of teams have depth at DE in the early part of the season since those positions rotate in and out and guys get hurt a lot at those spots. His phone will ring at some point I'd guess.

It also doesn't help that his drafting team has so many DE.

There are a lot of players that played nowhere near as well as Sam against 2s and 3s that are on a team (see Cornelius Washington). But look at Austen Lane, who played pretty well, tough at that level. Still think the cowboys should pick him up

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
There are a lot of players that played nowhere near as well as Sam against 2s and 3s that are on a team (see Cornelius Washington). But look at Austen Lane, who played pretty well, tough at that level. Still think the 'boys should pick him up

This would have been too easy...and in bad taste...but funny

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
There are a lot of players that played nowhere near as well as Sam against 2s and 3s that are on a team (see Cornelius Washington). But look at Austen Lane, who played pretty well, tough at that level. Still think the 'boys should pick him up

Cornelius Washington is better than Sam is though. Washington has freak athletic skills and will help the Bears on Special Teams this year. Sam is a slow, undersized 43 DE that does not play Special Teams. He absolutely should be on a practice squad but nobody should be surprised that he isn't on an NFL roster.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Did they change all the TV rules? With the road team being an AFC team this would always have been a CBS game.

I just read it on twitter. Seems like it should be the home team that carries the broadcast

CBS airs all visiting AFC team games. With Bears being the home team, you would expect it to be a CBS crew. Maybe CBS hired some of those guys away from Fox?

No, those guys are still with FOX, and espn.com and everywhere else lists Buffalo @ Chicago as a FOX game. I know that the Thanksgiving game with Chicago @ Detroit was given to CBS even though that would normally be a FOX game, so maybe this week's game was the tradeoff.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Did they change all the TV rules? With the road team being an AFC team this would always have been a CBS game.

The rules are mostly the same, but they now allow "cross flexing" for some games. Bears/Lions on Thanskgiving will be on CBS. If a certain network has a time slot locked, it gives them the option to air more appealing games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
The rules are mostly the same, but they now allow "cross flexing" for some games. Bears/Lions on Thanskgiving will be on CBS. If a certain network has a time slot locked, it gives them the option to air more appealing games.

Cool. They are a great crew.

Siragusa especially impresses me. I hated his first year or two, where he'd basically just talk about hot dogs in the crowd. Now he brings in good insight into how plays developed and player body language on the field.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
Siragusa especially impresses me. I hated his first year or two, where he'd basically just talk about hot dogs in the crowd. Now he brings in good insight into how plays developed and player body language on the field.

Wat.

NO this is entirely false. Goose is terrible

I just heard one of his sideline tidbits of wisdom where he explained to the audience at home that the people at the stadium cannot actually see the computer generated yellow first down line.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Wat.

I don't think Goose is any worse than Aikman or Simms. I mean look at this list of s*** for Fox:

1) Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Erin Andrews

2) Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch and Pam Oliver

3) Chris Myers, Ronde Barber and Jennifer Hale

4) Thom Brennaman, David Diehl and Laura Okmin

5) Kenny Albert, Daryl “Moose” Johnston and Tony Siragusa

6) Dick Stockton, Donovan McNabb/Brady Quinn/Kirk Morrison and Kristina Pink

I'm surprised they didn't renew Billick's contract. He was the best analyst IMO, although he talked a little too much. Siragusa is easily the best on field talent and I agree he's added more as the years have gone by.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
Wat.

I just heard one of his sideline tidbits of wisdom where he explained to the audience at home that the people at the stadium cannot actually see the computer generated yellow first down line.

He has had terrible, but I think he has added an interesting element recently. Look, when people talk non-stop for 3 hours they are going to say something stupid.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
I don't think Goose is any worse than Aikman or Simms. I mean look at this list of s*** for Fox:

I'm surprised they didn't renew Billick's contract. He was the best analyst IMO, although he talked a little too much. Siragusa is easily the best on field talent and I agree he's added more as the years have gone by.

Nice! From the University of Chief Illiniwek

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
He has had terrible, but I think he has added an interesting element recently. Look, when people talk non-stop for 3 hours they are going to say something stupid.

The thing is, Goose gets like maybe 5 minutes of those 3 hours, and says something stupid pretty much every time. I totally excuse color and PBP guys because they literally do have to talk for 3 hours. But goose has all game to come up with something, and usually when it is his turn I get a bunch of stupid.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)

Pam Oliver and Laura Oakmin run laps around Siragusa. And I am not comparing him to Simms or Aikman because they are in the booth.

Goose is just jock talk combined with food talk. He barely offers an intelligent thought, which sucks. I do enjoy Moose and Kenny though