2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Every once in a while though, Aikman will come up with some real gems of analysis that I had never heard of. He at least stays away from the platitudes of "toughness" and the like.

Unfortunately, this is no longer part of the NFL.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
He' shockingly not bad or annoying. I think the thing I like about him is he seems honest. He calls a football game honestly if that makes sense.

What I've figured is people are going to complain about every announcer. By and large I think the football crews are the best in the biz and Aikman / Buck is a really good crew. However, the moose crew is my personal favorite.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
They went 12-4 in the toughest division in football last year. They're going to be missing a few defenders, but they were missing like half of their offensive weapons last year and still started 6-4 (with two of those losses being a 10-9 loss to Carolina and 23-20 to New Orleans in New Orleans), and then they went out and added more weapons on offense again.

I think you're nuts. I have the 49ers winning the division.

Don't post when you're drunk, Blake.

Russell Wilson's about to go HAM on the NFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
What I've figured is people are going to complain about every announcer. By and large I think the football crews are the best in the biz and Aikman / Buck is a really good crew. However, the moose crew is my personal favorite.

Darryl Johnson is brutal and kind of a smug pr***. Tony Siragusa, well all I can think of with him is diapers for men.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
LOL, I wish. I like the Muscle too, but I think the Niners have a really good team, injuries and suspensions aside.

I don't even think most 49ers fans are that optimistic. Their secondary is a joke and their first team offense looks like hell.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
I don't even think most 49ers fans are that optimistic. Their secondary is a joke and their first team offense looks like hell.

Their first team offense looks like hell? Don't they return nearly everyone from last year while having a full year of Crabtree and adding Johnson?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Bears and Bears

Because of Tucker and DeCamilis, my faith in the Bears are pretty low. Unlike others, I also am not bought into Emery / Trestman yet either. I don't know that Trestman has what it takes to hold people accountable and be a successful head coach. I do think he's an extremely bright offensive mind and have full faith in him running the offense. Difference between winning and losing is so slim in this league though, so little things matter, and hopefully he can make sure the players and coaches know that and are held accountable.

Emery has done a nice job in FA and targeting needs but other then Jeffrey and Long, we've had pretty horrific looking drafts with him. In fact, I think only two guys remains from his first draft. I will say jury is out on a lot of picks from last year, but given what I've seen to date, I think last years class is looking almost as awful too, save Long. I have such little faith in Bostic.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
But it's not working.

You know what happens when you jump to conclusions based on the preseason...you typically end up looking foolish. I'll go with their overall track record and level of talent. Niners have a tough schedule and injuries to overcome but I expect by the 2nd half of the season, they will be one of the best performing teams in the league. I do think the Seahawks are right now the best team in the NFC.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
Because of Tucker and DeCamilis, my faith in the Bears are pretty low. Unlike others, I also am not bought into Emery / Trestman yet either. I don't know that Trestman has what it takes to hold people accountable and be a successful head coach. I do think he's an extremely bright offensive mind and have full faith in him running the offense. Difference between winning and losing is so slim in this league though, so little things matter, and hopefully he can make sure the players and coaches know that and are held accountable.

Emery has done a nice job in FA and targeting needs but other then Jeffrey and Long, we've had pretty horrific looking drafts with him. In fact, I think only two guys remains from his first draft. I will say jury is out on a lot of picks from last year, but given what I've seen to date, I think last years class is looking almost as awful too, save Long. I have such little faith in Bostic.

If Bostic can develop, last year looks good. Starting RG who may still yet turn into a tackle. Starting RT. What appears to be a 3rd WR. Crap DE. No 3rd round pick. Bostic turns it into a "good" draft, lacking starpower. Really what can end up making that draft is M. Wilson and if Long can turn into a plus tackle. But he's also kinda old.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)

Emery turned one of the worst offensive lines into one of the best offensive lines in one off-season. ONE off season. He brought in Brandon Marshall, a top 5 WR, for pennies. He's brought in Jared Allen and some other good D-lineman that SHOULD vastly improve the defense this year. He's drafted pro-bowl quality players in Long and Jeffrey. Bostic still has that potential. You can't really expect a rookie to jump in and play middle linebacker with 2nd and 3rd string d-lineman in front of him. He's got a grade of A thus far in my book. Not sure what else you think he could have done.

Trestman gets an A so far too. If we're going on what the guy had when he came in, his defense was old as dirt and half of them got hurt, his starting QB got hurt, so he brought in a semi-retired, HS FOOTBALL COACH back-up QB and turned him in to, statistically, one of the best in the league.The offense went from one of the ten worst to one of the ten best in the game. He was 17 seconds and a moronic defensive play call away from getting to the playoffs. And he never really embarrassed himself with stupid challenges or wasted time-outs (none that are memorable or impacted the game anyway, as best I can recall.)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
You know what happens when you jump to conclusions based on the preseason...you typically end up looking foolish. I'll go with their overall track record and level of talent. Niners have a tough schedule and injuries to overcome but I expect by the 2nd half of the season, they will be one of the best performing teams in the league. I do think the Seahawks are right now the best team in the NFC.

Unfortunately, people pick and choose which teams they base the season outlook on from preseason results. People assume the Browns, Bills and Giants will struggle because of the preseason showing, but ignore how poorly the first team offense and defense of the 49ers played in preseason.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Emery turned one of the worst offensive lines into one of the best offensive lines in one off-season. ONE off season. He brought in Brandon Marshall, a top 5 WR, for pennies. He's brought in Jared Allen and some other good D-lineman that SHOULD vastly improve the defense this year. He's drafted pro-bowl quality players in Long and Jeffrey. Bostic still has that potential. You can't really expect a rookie to jump in and play middle linebacker with 2nd and 3rd string d-lineman in front of him. He's got a grade of A thus far in my book. Not sure what else you think he could have done.

Trestman gets an A so far too. If we're going on what the guy had when he came in, his defense was old as dirt and half of them got hurt, his starting QB got hurt, so he brought in a semi-retired, HS FOOTBALL COACH back-up QB and turned him in to, statistically, one of the best in the league.The offense went from one of the ten worst to one of the ten best in the game. He was 17 seconds and a moronic defensive play call away from getting to the playoffs. And he never really embarrassed himself with stupid challenges or wasted time-outs (none that are memorable or impacted the game anyway, as best I can recall.)

I don't think anyone is going to agree with you on that.

As far as Trestman he inherited a team that went 10-6 and led them to an 8-8 record, I don't think you can give him an A just yet.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)

As far as Trestman he inherited a team that went 10-6 and led them to an 8-8 record, I don't think you can give him an A just yet.

That D was just decimated by injuries last year, and it started before the season even kicked off.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
Yup, it's a "miracle" that team, with one of the worst defenses of all time, finished 8-8.

That's like the Sox finishing .500 with that bullpen.

It is worth thinking about whether decisions made by the FO, like keeping veteran players around, or decisions made by the coaching staff in terms of training and scheme helped contribute to the gigantic rash of injuries. One season of very banged up I can agree will happen from random chance every now and again, but if the same excuses are being given this year then you start wondering why the Bears D is always so hurt.

On one hand I think about the crap trotting out on the d last year and think "this has to be better". On the other hand I think that there is still a massive middle hole that an nfl offense could easily execute against to great results.

You could beat the bears last year on the rush up the middle, misdirection, long and short passes.

Now you can kill them in the middle of the field and misdirection runs. How many TDs will that really save?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Unfortunately, people pick and choose which teams they base the season outlook on from preseason results. People assume the Browns, Bills and Giants will struggle because of the preseason showing, but ignore how poorly the first team offense and defense of the 49ers played in preseason.

Forgot the green?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

I like Trestman and think he is a great offensive mind, but I think an A rating is pretty absurd right now. The defense is still his responsibility and in terms of Emery, I give him an A for addressing what I consider areas of need, but one of the biggest needs, our LB Corps was still ignored by and large and if we don't make the playoffs, will likely be one of the key contributors to that. However, Emery's drafts just don't look that good. Like I said, last year is still up for evaluation but these guys get an awful lot of credit given all of the questionmarks and things still to come.

I'm all for giving people credit where it is due but I'm not there yet with this crew.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Forgot the green?

Yeah, I base them being bad teams on the roster and talent level. Didn't the Colts under Manning look bad pretty much every pre-season when they were one of the best teams in the league each regular season? Analysts can make limited reads in the preseason but limited is what they are. So many studies have been shown that there is zero correlation between the preseason and regular season. Every team and coach goes about it different ways.