2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
On one hand I think about the crap trotting out on the d last year and think "this has to be better". On the other hand I think that there is still a massive middle hole that an nfl offense could easily execute against to great results.

You could beat the bears last year on the rush up the middle, misdirection, long and short passes.

Now you can kill them in the middle of the field and misdirection runs. How many TDs will that really save?

There hasn't even been a regular season game played yet man. If they're giving up boatloads of yards on the ground after a few weeks then we can worry.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
That D was just decimated by injuries last year, and it started before the season even kicked off.

I understand that but if he gets so much credit for the offensive turnaround then he has to get some blame for the defensivive collapse. I'm in no way saying he did a bad coaching job last year but I am saying that you can't give him an A yet.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
I understand that but if he gets so much credit for the offensive turnaround then he has to get some blame for the defensivive collapse. I'm in no way saying he did a bad coaching job last year but I am saying that you can't give him an A yet.

I don't see how you blame the coaching staff for that unless it becomes a pattern. At points last year they basically had a practice squad out there for a defense. In 2014, they are going to get killed in the NFL, and did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
I don't see how you blame the coaching staff for that unless it becomes a pattern. At points last year they basically had a practice squad out there for a defense. In 2014, they are going to get killed in the NFL, and did.

Let's hope not!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Yeah, I base them being bad teams on the roster and talent level. Didn't the Colts under Manning look bad pretty much every pre-season when they were one of the best teams in the league each regular season? Analysts can make limited reads in the preseason but limited is what they are. So many studies have been shown that there is zero correlation between the preseason and regular season. Every team and coach goes about it different ways.

The Colts would pretty much go 0-4 in the preseason for the majority of the time Manning was with them. Pre-season means squat.

Teams are trying to get guys installed and accustomed to the offense in the pre-season in game situations. Even if it's a dress rehearsal for the regular season, they aren't going to be running their full offense at that point either on offense or defense. I worry and care so little about pre-season numbers, even for poor teams like the Browns and Bills.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
I like Trestman and think he is a great offensive mind, but I think an A rating is pretty absurd right now. The defense is still his responsibility and in terms of Emery, I give him an A for addressing what I consider areas of need, but one of the biggest needs, our LB Corps was still ignored by and large and if we don't make the playoffs, will likely be one of the key contributors to that. However, Emery's drafts just don't look that good. Like I said, last year is still up for evaluation but these guys get an awful lot of credit given all of the questionmarks and things still to come.

I'm all for giving people credit where it is due but I'm not there yet with this crew.

1) How can you blame the coach for SEVERAL devastating injuries? They were playing 2nd and 3rd string d-lineman and rookies at LB. No amount of coaching can fix that. Again, that issue in addition to losing your franchise QB for a good chunk of the season, and they still managed to go 8-8 with one s***ty play keeping them from the playoffs.

2) While LB is a need, CB and DL were bigger needs. I think he needed to wait another year on Bostic, who clearly has the athletic make-up to be a good LB but still needs to learn the game. We'll see if he can make that jump. Williams is a decent starter. He's not going to lose games for you. But we all know the season comes down to the offense scoring points, and the D-Line teeing off and getting enough pressure. Everything in the middle and back end don't have to be as good if that happens.

3) Emery has hit on 2 pro-bowl players in 3 drafts. That's pretty damn good in my book.

I still am going to hang the McLellin pick on Lovie more than Emery. Lovie and Marinelli loved Shea and went to work him out a few times and met with him in Boise on his pro day. Emery shouldn't have let that affect his pick, he should have made his own, but he did.

To be honest, I think Trestman and Tucker made a mistake last year by allowing our vets on defense to talk them into sticking with many of Lovie's old schemes...instead of allowing Tucker to implement his own stuff. Then the injuries come along and most of these vets are out anyways...and I think we were sort of in limbo in terms of what schemes to run because the replacements hadn't played much or at all under Lovie and probably hadn't learned much of Tucker's schemes either.

Hopefully this year we're a bit more organized and prepared and Tucker can run his own stuff and have proper accountability for same.

Trestman needs to focus on the offense and on learning to manage the game...that struck me as a weakness for him last year.

I'm not sure how you can say that about the 2nd one. One major problem is he needs to start stockpiling picks. But, again, without a 3rd rounder we have:

Long - Probowler (whether deserving or not)

Bostic - I'll say bad pick because I think he has remarkably bad instincts

No third

Greene - backup LB, special teams player

Mills - Starting RT

C. Washington - probably will amount to nothing

M. Wilson - was the starting 3rd receiver in camp, 21 years old

2 starters, 1 probowler, 1 3rd WR, 2 backup LBs.

That's not as bad as 2012 with a crap LB and Alshon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
I still am going to hang the McLellin pick on Lovie more than Emery. Lovie and Marinelli loved Shea and went to work him out a few times and met with him in Boise on his pro day. Emery shouldn't have let that affect his pick, he should have made his own, but he did.

Emery's first draft was using the entire previous regimes scouts, and scouting process/system/reports/grades. This was widely publicized at the time of the first draft, im not entirely sure why this has been forgotten already. at the time of the 2012 draft, everybody said we had to realize that the draft was largely a product of the system Angelo had implemented, as Emery did not have time to institute his draft scheme. Much of the blame for that horrendous draft (shea, Hardin, Rodriguez, Frey, McCoy), as well as the credit for Alshon (though Emery was ultimately the one who traded up) should go to the previous regime.

In my mind, I am grading Emery's drafts starting with 2013.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Emery's first draft was using the entire previous regimes scouts, and scouting process/system/reports/grades. This was widely publicized at the time of the first draft, im not entirely sure why this has been forgotten already. at the time of the 2012 draft, everybody said we had to realize that the draft was largely a product of the system Angelo had implemented, as Emery did not have time to institute his draft scheme. Much of the blame for that horrendous draft (shea, Hardin, Rodriguez, Frey, McCoy), as well as the credit for Alshon (though Emery was ultimately the one who traded up) should go to the previous regime.

In my mind, I am grading Emery's drafts starting with 2013.

Shea, to me, was an obviously terrible pick at the time.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)

I'm actually glad about this. I don't know why. Gut feeling he will be good again. He is certainly the most athletic and able to make plays. He also has shown a real mental deficiency.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
You'd think if Shea was a Lovie pick he wouldn't be given all these chances. Dude is a starting LB this year, and I actually think he'll do well in that role.

He was Emerys first pick ever, he still will get the chances regardless if he was picked because Lovie wanted him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
He was Emerys first pick ever, he still will get the chances regardless if he was picked because Lovie wanted him

Isn't he still on the guaranteed money part of his rookie contract where it's stupid to cut him because he gets paid either way? I thought that lasted 3-4 years with first rounders.