2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
Cutler is that Andy Dalton class. Not really good, but probably better then someone you would replace them with. So you are kind of stuck with them.

I do think he will be on a different team in a couple of years.

The problem is those teams sit around 7-9 to the 10-6 range and get bounced in the playoffs or just miss them. These guys are death to a team becasue of the salary cap because they can not beat the good teams.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
Jay is substantially better than "tall Rex Grossman." He's just not at the Rodgers-Manning level.

Better, yes, because he's taller and he's had much better weapons. But significantly better? Not really. Cutler throws at a better clip (low 60%'s versus mid 50%'s). TD/INT ratio is about the same (usually a handful of TD's more than INT's). Cutler's QB ratings are mid 80's. Grossman was 74 (in 16 games) and 67 (in 8). The most important stat - winning - is also about the same. You can chalk that up to great defense v. bad defense (although the defense was still good when Cutler first got here), but at the end of the day to be a good to great QB you need to win despite your team sometimes and neither of them did that. I'm not saying he's on the exact same level, but he's a marginally improved Grossman who happens to be taller, which gives him a few advantages.

What kills me is McCown last year. I mean, he had the best stretch of 5 games for a QB last year. And you know why? 1 turnover. And he didn't key in on Marshall every throw. Jay is terrible at doing both. And they'll continue to be a mediocre, average team because of it. And we can all hope that changes, but I dunno why we think it will. Oh, Jay's a different guy this year. He's more comfortable. He's being more of a leader. Yank yank.

Serious question. This offense with Kyle Orton. Better or worse than Cutler? Orton was basically the same as Cutler his last 2 years starting for Denver stat-wise. Could he have game managed the team into the playoffs last year? I think so. Like McCown last year, Orton would have managed the game and not turned the ball over. Orton isn't going to Andrew Luck it and let you come back from 3 TD's down with a quarter to go. But he would have put points on the board. He would have controlled the clock. And while not having the higher ceiling that Jay has, I don't think he has the low either.

And i'm not saying that the trade was a terrible move. You still make that move every day of the week. The ceiling was high for Jay a few years ago. But i think we've hit his ceiling now, and it's nowhere near as high as we all thought it would be.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
The other part about McCown is that he always seemed to get to the line in plenty of time to make reads/adjustments. I swear Cutler takes more panicked snaps under 5 seconds on the play clock than any other qb.

Probably weren't watching the game last week but Cutler was more in control of the offense and the huddle as I'd ever seen. He made one terrible throw. It happens. Unfortunately, they had some other miscues that magnified that terrible throw (including the Marshall fumble...some bad play calling...and Bennett / Marshall running the wrong route and not sitting in the proper zone on the other pick. Oh and I believe the Bills were a top 5 pass defense a year ago. Sucks to lose but I'm not about to throw the season out the window just yet.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
The only time I saw panic at the line is when both Marshall and Jeffery were out and Holmes/Morgan had no idea where to line up.

Yeah and it was Cutler confidently barking out orders to them to try and get them in place (although you could tell they were lost)...and Holmes slipped on the other bad throw, otherwise, that was a one on one match-up and while a tough catch, there would have been an extremely low risk of interception. Holmes, I think, can actually be effective for us, but its tough having him so far behind in terms of knowing the offense. Really stupid that we brought him in and then signed him a week and a half later. That would have been such valuable 1.5 weeks and everyone with any intelligence knew we'd need someone cause what we had on the roster sucked.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Probably weren't watching the game last week but Cutler was more in control of the offense and the huddle as I'd ever seen. He made one terrible throw. It happens. Unfortunately, they had some other miscues that magnified that terrible throw (including the Marshall fumble...some bad play calling...and Bennett / Marshall running the wrong route and not sitting in the proper zone on the other pick. Oh and I believe the Bills were a top 5 pass defense a year ago. Sucks to lose but I'm not about to throw the season out the window just yet.

I dont think Ive missed a minute of a bears game since 1994.

You can go back to last years thread when they were talking about re-signing Cutler, I wrote plenty about why it would not be a prudent move. You can make excuses for the guy all you want, but the fact is, if he is going to get paid that type of money, its his responsibility to get better.

Oh and he still doesnt care about his footwork, which is something youd think he would really work on.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
I dont think Ive missed a minute of a bears game since 1994.

You can go back to last years thread when they were talking about re-signing Cutler, I wrote plenty about why it would not be a prudent move. You can make excuses for the guy all you want, but the fact is, if he is going to get paid that type of money, its his responsibility to get better.

Oh and he still doesnt care about his footwork, which is something youd think he would really work on.

I was arguing your point about a ton of last second snaps and presnap panic, that is not something I saw when our primary unit was out there (and you ignore it completely in the above). It was the calmest I've ever seen Cutler at the helm.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
The only time I saw panic at the line is when both Marshall and Jeffery were out and Holmes/Morgan had no idea where to line up.

If you only saw it 1 time, then you were watching a different game. Hell after some change of possessions he was manically calling for the snap with under 3 seconds.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
I was arguing your point about a ton of last second snaps and presnap panic, that is not something I saw when our primary unit was out there (and you ignore it completely in the above). It was the calmest I've ever seen Cutler at the helm.

Im not ignoring it. We just have a difference of opinion. At no point on Sunday was I like "Damn Cutler is at the same level of control as McCown." So it doesnt really matter if its the calmest youve seen Cutler, I was comparing Cutler to McCown running the offense.

Youd think that a guy with over a year in the system would be as in control as the backup who played 5 games.

McCown is the perfect comparison.

The Bears system made him last year, the Bears didnt need to pay tons of money to a QB. They just needed a guy who was smart and could get the ball to talented players.

I dont think McCown is overall a good QB. And in a bad offense/system hes probably going to be terrible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
McCown looks pretty lost in TB, to be fair. Just threw the ball up for grabs a few times last week and got burned. Did it last year and luckily did not get burned much.

How many hail mary TD's / big plays did he get just heaving the ball up for Jeffrey to make some insane catch. Jeffrey went off in quite a few of McCown's games. Good for Cutler too but some of those just insane catches came in McCown games from what I recall.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
How many hail mary TD's / big plays did he get just heaving the ball up for Jeffrey to make some insane catch. Jeffrey went off in quite a few of McCown's games. Good for Cutler too but some of those just insane catches came in McCown games from what I recall.

This is the entire point. A marginal to bad QB like McCown could succeed in the Bears offense because he simply didnt make horrible decisions. When in doubt hed throw the ball in a place where at worst it was an incomplete pass and sometimes his ultra talented WR's would bail him out.

Im pretty sure that no one thinks McCown can throw better than Cutler or has the same talent as Cutler.

(edit)

And I hope Im wrong. Cutler can easily fix himself if he wants. First he needs to work on his footwork. Second he needs to make better decisions.

Those arent impossible, its just frustrating that he doesnt seem to ever take that leap. Because if he does, he could easily be a top 5 qb.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)

Yeah, when they had Byrd. They were missing one of their starting corners, too.

Their line is pretty damn good, which helps, but I thought we should have done much better offensively.