Asking Prices Beginning to Fall

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
WTF are you talking about? Crain was injured so he didn't get much in trade, but had to be sold off anyway. What is your point?

Also, Alex Rios was once as despised as Adam Dunn. Not to call anyone in particular out, but: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82553

Yet they eventually traded him along with his salary for a replacement-level youngster. How is that bad asset management?

Crain's dubious usage cost them perhaps their best trade chip, but that's besides the point.

The point is whether through injury or not the Sox got little (other than salary relief) in return for their best trading chips sans Sale at the end of the 2012 season.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
His point by including Crain was that the White Sox should have known he'd get hurt and benched him in June when he was pitching well, like no team ever does (but he spent July insisting they should have done so).

And you shockingly took to the organization's defense.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
Crain's dubious usage cost them perhaps their best trade chip, but that's besides the point.

The point is whether through injury or not the Sox got little (other than salary relief) in return for their best trading chips sans Sale at the end of the 2012 season.

I don't see how you can say "I don't care about injury" when that obviously limits the trade value of a player. It's not like they could have waited till later, he was a FA at the end of the season. That's...dude, Marty, you gotta stop tilting at windmills. And call Sancho "TUC" Panza off, too.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
The Sox turned Gavin Floyd, Jake Peavy, Alex Rios, Jessie Crain, and Matt Thornton into Leury and Avisail Garcia. That was a bad job of asset management. They can't afford to devalue their tradable players in order to save money.

To whom would you have traded those players and for which prospects?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
I don't see how you can say "I don't care about injury" when that obviously limits the trade value of a player. It's not like they could have waited till later, he was a FA at the end of the season. That's...dude, Marty, you gotta stop tilting at windmills. And call Sancho "TUC" Panza off, too.

:lol:

You sir are on a roll today. I tip my Sox cap to you.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)

They kept together a team that would lose 99 games. They received mostly salary relief for their best trading chips and now people are ok with playing Dunn to get more salary relief at the expense of devaluing one of the few trade chips. I don't get it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Things ain't exactly great these days over on 35th Roostifer.

I agree but things have improved and last season has been over for a while now. Its better to look forward to this season than to live in last season. A matter of perspective really.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
And you shockingly took to the organization's defense.

And you shockingly could come up with zero examples of any team ever doing what you said the white sox should do, and you only said that after the injury happened.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
What about the other $35M missing from last years payroll?

>$10 million was saved by trading away Thornton, Peavy, and Rios during the 2013 season. An extra $5 million will be put into draft and international talent spending beyond what was spent last year. $10 million goes to Jose Dariel Abreu's signing bonus, which is money the Sox will pay out that isn't being accounted for on the budget lists but is . Thus, >$25 million of that difference is quite fully accounted for.

The rest of that I will grant as of right now stands as a salary cut, but of course, they also cut ticket prices last year and then still had erosion of ticket sales due to the team being awful, and as we've pointed out repeatedly, that money would be much more effectively spent next offseason when we have a better idea of the team's needs than right now on a "the kids can play" type team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
>$10 million was saved by trading away Thornton, Peavy, and Rios during the 2013 season. An extra $5 million will be put into draft and international talent spending beyond what was spent last year. $10 million goes to Jose Dariel Abreu's signing bonus, which is money the Sox will pay out that isn't being accounted for on the budget lists but is . Thus, >$25 million of that difference is quite fully accounted for.

The rest of that I will grant as of right now stands as a salary cut, but of course, they also cut ticket prices last year and then still had erosion of ticket sales due to the team being awful, and as we've pointed out repeatedly, that money would be much more effectively spent next offseason when we have a better idea of the team's needs than right now on a "the kids can play" type team.

Why are they taking $5M+ from the major league payroll to pay for the draft?

As far as next year goes, I'm sure there will be another reason not to spend money. That has been the case with this organization for quite some time.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
Why are they taking $5M+ from the major league payroll to pay for the draft?

As far as next year goes, I'm sure there will be another reason not to spend money. That has been the case with this organization for quite some time.

Because they have the 3rd pick and if they were to draft someone who wouldn't use up their slot spending you'd declare the draft a disaster like you did last year?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
I declared the Jacob May pick a disaster.

Because they went with a person who would take under-slot money at that point and because you couldn't be bothered to know how the MLB draft works.

Would you be infavor of the White Sox drafting someone in 2014 with the #3 pick that they could sign for $5 million under slot in order to allocate that money to the MLB team?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

I was actually kidding about that but I do think they are going to try to pull the trigger on something Dunn-related if they don't get a good deal for one of their OFers. No way are all 3 of these guys on the roster together & Dunn is the one it makes the most sense to jettison, especially with Paulie already taking a bench spot.

But yeah I doubt there would be any crying around Sox HQ if Dunn were to say, blow out a knee or something and have to miss the season. Insurance money FTW.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
Because they went with a person who would take under-slot money at that point and because you couldn't be bothered to know how the MLB draft works.

Would you be infavor of the White Sox drafting someone in 2014 with the #3 pick that they could sign for $5 million under slot in order to allocate that money to the MLB team?

I advocate the Sox take a $5M loss to build up the system and not take it from the big league payroll.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 16, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
The Sox turned Gavin Floyd, Jake Peavy, Alex Rios, Jessie Crain, and Matt Thornton into Leury and Avisail Garcia. That was a bad job of asset management. They can't afford to devalue their tradable players in order to save money.

The Yankees turned Mariano Rivera, Alex Rodriguez, Derick Jeter, Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Rafael Soriano, and Vernon Wells into nothing.