Asking Prices Beginning to Fall

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
Sure, but as we have gone over before, next year the price goes up for a similar asset. It doesn't matter anyway because there will be another excuse not to spend money next offseason.

Hey, did you hear about this guy called Jose Abreu? No? You should frequent a Sox message board.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
Sure, but as we have gone over before, next year the price goes up for a similar asset. It doesn't matter anyway because there will be another excuse not to spend money next offseason.

If the team is garbage, then yes, there will be more "excuses." They'll be the same excuses, though, and they'll still make sense.

The "being cheap" with payroll argument against Sox ownership expired about a decade ago.

Turning over both CF (Eaton) and 3B (Davidson) was more than the majority of fans expected...not to mention Belisario, Downs, Paulino and bringing back Lindstrom.

And realistically, there just weren't any game-changing catchers in their primes (McCann would have made sense if we could fast forward 2 years and keep him from aging by freezing him cryogenically) available, so the lack of action there on the Sox part wasn't surprising at all.

Sure...frustrating...but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear or however that saying goes.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
That's a far cry from the offseason hopes of many.

Many being you and another person or two. The Sox landed one of the best offensive players available, traded for a young potential future star CFer, and traded for a young potential future 3rd baseman...all while saving money. I don't see how anyone could view this offseason as anything but a success.

You can continue to say that the Sox should have signed one of those starting pitchers that you won't stop talking about. Thankfully one of them has been signed...for too much money and time. Soon the other will go, and that day will be a relief. Although, everyone knows that won't stop you.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Don't write Jimenez off yet. Navy Seals are 50/50 to pass Orioles physicals.

I tells you what, this is seriously a hard sell on signing this guy. "He's lost 4 mph from his fastball since he was 25 and can't pass a tough physical. That's the kind of guy I want to build my team around!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
Well, their scouts could be wrong and those guys could all bust.

Right. So, let's not take any risks and go with nothing but sure things. Problem is, there are no sure things. The risks for these guys are pretty low (aside from Abreu money-wise), and they have potentially very high ceilings. As the team looks now, this offseason has been very successful. We won't know how successful until the season gets rolling, and even beyond then.

But my point was, how can any fan say this offseason has been a disappointment (or a far cry from what they expected) after what has been done? Hahn has a plan and he's sticking to it. Signing an expensive veteran starting pitcher (while giving up a draft pick) in the hopes of trading said pitcher soon makes no sense and doesn't fit in the plan.

I stand by the idea that the White Sox had the best offseason of any team in the majors. I have some bias, but there are many others who believe they had a top 3 offseason. I wish the roster situation weren't so convoluted right now, but to that I actually credit Hahn for sticking to his guns rather than dealing guys just to get *something* for them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
I stand by the idea that the White Sox had the best offseason of any team in the majors. I have some bias, but there are many others who believe they had a top 3 offseason. I wish the roster situation weren't so convoluted right now, but to that I actually credit Hahn for sticking to his guns rather than dealing guys just to get *something* for them.

Not to mention NOT signing guys that don't really fit what you are trying to do. Every guy they targeted this off season fit an obvious need. If they missed, they didn't target a lesser guy in an attempt to make him fit somewhere he didn't

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Not to mention NOT signing guys that don't really fit what you are trying to do. Every guy they targeted this off season fit an obvious need. If they missed, they didn't target a lesser guy in an attempt to make him fit somewhere he didn't

What's going to be the most frustrating is when Santana and Jimenez inevitably have good seasons and the people in this thread point to that. That's never been the point. Curtis Granderson could have a good season and anybody pointing that out would get the same response from me - would it have been enough production over the player the Sox used instead to win a division title? If that answer is no, then the Sox made the right call both from the developmental standpoint, from the financial standpoint, and from a draft position standpoint. Considering most have the Sox pegged anywhere from 75-78 wins, odds are going to be very, very good that guys who have been 2-4 WAR pitchers for the majority of their careers aren't suddenly going to boost the Sox into the 90 win range, which is very likely what it's going to take to win the division.

No, the most important years of those deals are going to be in 2015 and 2016 or so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
What's going to be the most frustrating is when Santana and Jimenez inevitably have good seasons and the people in this thread point to that. That's never been the point. Curtis Granderson could have a good season and anybody pointing that out would get the same response from me - would it have been enough production over the player the Sox used instead to win a division title? If that answer is no, then the Sox made the right call both from the developmental standpoint, from the financial standpoint, and from a draft position standpoint. Considering most have the Sox pegged anywhere from 75-78 wins, odds are going to be very, very good that guys who have been 2-4 WAR pitchers for the majority of their careers aren't suddenly going to boost the Sox into the 90 win range, which is very likely what it's going to take to win the division.

No, the most important years of those deals are going to be in 2015 and 2016 or so.

This is the most salient point. Thanks for giving me the chance to say "salient."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
This is the most salient point. Thanks for giving me the chance to say "salient."

Not a problem duderino!

(that's a colloquialism I use for people, typically males, who I expect to be my age that I also share common beliefs with and generally have strong, positive feelings towards said person)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Not a problem duderino!

(that's a colloquialism I use for people, typically males, who I expect to be my age that I also share common beliefs with and generally have strong, positive feelings towards said person)

We're going to need a scoreboard for uses of "colloquialism" this season. Salient vs. Colloquialism, starting today. 1-1

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 06:19 AM)
Many being you and another person or two. The Sox landed one of the best offensive players available, traded for a young potential future star CFer, and traded for a young potential future 3rd baseman...all while saving money. I don't see how anyone could view this offseason as anything but a success.

You can continue to say that the Sox should have signed one of those starting pitchers that you won't stop talking about. Thankfully one of them has been signed...for too much money and time. Soon the other will go, and that day will be a relief. Although, everyone knows that won't stop you.

It would have been difficult for the Sox to have a bad off-season with as much work as they needed. They signed Abreau which they absolutely had to do. Outside of that they switched the potential of Santiago and Reed for the potential of Eaton and Davidson, we'll see how that works out. They haven't filled the hole in the rotation or catcher and their payroll is ~$86M. If Abreau and at least one of Eaton or Davidson pan out it's probable the rebuild took a step forward.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)

So if they have a good '15 or '16 we will be proven right I guess.