Eliminating Cable / Sat TV

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
I hardly watch any TV and my wife watches just a little more. NCIS, Elementary, perhaps one or two more some weeks. I decided to order a Roku 3 and see how close that will get me to cutting the cable.

HD sports = reason I will never quite cable/satellite. I need a viable, in-market alternative for watching my teams before that could ever be a consideration.

Also, Vanderpump Rules.

HD sports = reason I will never quite cable/satellite. I need a viable, in-market alternative for watching my teams before that could ever be a consideration.

Also, Vanderpump Rules.

Yes, for most of the sports channels, online access to live events is tied to having a cable/satellite service. Even the live Olympics stream requires it, even though NBC is an over-the-air network.

I wonder if there won't be a provider out there that won't eventually market a sports-only package designed as a supplement to Netflix/Hulu.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Yes, for most of the sports channels, online access to live events is tied to having a cable/satellite service. Even the live Olympics stream requires it, even though NBC is an over-the-air network.

I wonder if there won't be a provider out there that won't eventually market a sports-only package designed as a supplement to Netflix/Hulu.

The rub there is that the live stuff, which is what you get online, is aired on cable channels such as NBC Sports, MSNBC, and CNBC.

We had this conversation not long ago -- and it was pretty unanimous -- it costs MORE to NOT have cable/dish IF you like sports and/or want to watch shows the second they air than it does to cut the cord.

All you will find yourself doing is getting annoyed by internet blackout rules, and find yourself going to bars to watch the game...and that costs money. Apparently I learned it costs me more than others here, because they go to a bar and spend 5$ watching an entire baseball game, but it costs me far more than that. ;)

I have a crappy satellite service that came with my place that I now just about never use, so I'm kinda close to "cutting the cord."

I pretty much just always have the WatchESPN app on my roku on whenever I watch TV. Then there's netflix, amazon, hbogo, and sometimes even music. I like the UK netflix offerings better. I also have google chromecast...not as nice as roku, but I'll occasionally watch some youtube vids on it. And, of course, there's redbox along with a bunch of blu-rays I've gotten the past couple of "black fridays" that I haven't gotten around to watching

I also bought a cheap hdtv antenna but haven't hooked it up yet.

Lastly, a friend comes over sometimes and we hook up their NBA league pass to the tv. I don't watch as much of my sports teams anymore, though :/

I use my parents Comcast login to watch stuff like the Olympics and HBO go. Seems to work anywhere. But yeah if you have access to someone else's cable login it'll help

So there's the solution, we get everybody on Soxtalk to share one cable/satellite login account and we can each watch live sports for $0.01/month!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)

Also, Vanderpump Rules.

Yup. Any big sports fan has to have it, no way around it.

If it weren't for blackout rules I would drop satellite and buy MLB.tv ($140), NBA League Pass Broadband ($65 for 5 teams) and NHL Gamecenter ($150). Combine those 3 with Hulu Plus and Netlix and you're looking at around $559/year. That's a lot better than the $1200 I pay a year for Dish Network. But alas, until they get rid of those ridiculous blackout rules that plan will never work.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
If it weren't for blackout rules I would drop satellite and buy MLB.tv ($140), NBA League Pass Broadband ($65 for 5 teams) and NHL Gamecenter ($150). Combine those 3 with Hulu Plus and Netlix and you're looking at around $559/year. That's a lot better than the $1200 I pay a year for Dish Network. But alas, until they get rid of those ridiculous blackout rules that plan will never work.

Same here. Al i want them to do is stream the local station... with commercials... and I'd pay for it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
You can get a VPN-enabled router which will place you outside your current market. I'm not the expert on set-up and all that, though. I live outside Chicago market as it is.

I've thought about a VPN router too, but am admittedly a little ignorant on the subject. Just curious, does anybody know the legality of it?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
I've thought about a VPN router too, but am admittedly a little ignorant on the subject. Just curious, does anybody know the legality of it?

Having a VPN is not illegal, but I'm almost certain you'd be violating the TOS w/MLB.tv, etc. by using one.

But then, of course, you're paying for cable.

Yes, but if you only ever watch sports, and have a friend who watches the same sports, you can have one cable subscription and one sling box instead of two cable subscriptions.

OR, if you live outside of the range of CSN Chicago and your father lives inside the range, you can watch Sox games on the Sling Box while he is watching at home.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Yes, it's specifically mentioned in the mlb.tv agreement.

A sling box isn't though, if you want to get the product legally.

Yes you would be getting around the user agreement for MLB.tv, but would certainly be violating the user agreement for your friend's/parent's cable or satellite. Not to mention using an immense amount of their bandwidth.